WAG Level 4 skills questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 18037

So I was watching practice today, something I rarely do.

I thought I was pretty clear on Level 4 requirements. In speaking with another parent, they seem to think there are some options on what can be done at Level 4. I thought it was rather set in stone so to speak. But also recognize I am probably wrong.

So is there any either or type options at Level 4, particularly for beam and floor?

not that I know of. Floor you have to do the FHS, the ROBHSBHHS, the BWO... Beam you have the vertical handstand, the cartwheel, the half turn and the 1/4 dismount.

That is pretty much what I thought. I know there might be and/ or for getting to the high bar on bar. But I thought the floor and beam were pretty its abc, period. I don't go out far ahead but I do look one level or 2 levels ahead. So I have an idea where she is at with up training.

I tend to get a little skeptical when a parent tells me oh no your wrong because my daughter says 123. And daughter is the same L3, new L4 as my child.

My child think FHS off beam is L4. I don't think its 4 or 5. I think they are still handstand to twist for both, just a question of degrees

I am certainly no expert, but I think you're right. I know for 5 you could do BHS instead of BWO on beam, but scrolling through the compulsory program, I don't see any different options for 4.

Yep that is what I thought, a couple of or options on beam and floor L5 but not L4.

Only or option on L4 I see is bar getting to high bar.

what option is there for level 4 bars instead of the squat on?

For level 5, I had heard that you could do a BHS instead of the BWO on beam; but didn't know about a back extension roll.

I rarely watch practices. We only finished our meet season last weekend for some of our girls. And they up train all the time, but this is the first week they are more hard core on L4 stuff. And already I am seeing parents stressing "how well" they are doing.

Mostly I think "Really!!!, we are 3-4 months out for a meet."

Yeah their FHS vaults need work. They will be doing it for at least 2 freaking years. If they miss it now and again, its week one of serious work. Of course things are not fine tuned yet, that is what summer is for.

Side note our gym doesn't typically score kids out of compulsories.

The only optional things I know are different poses, and the pike on instead of squat on for bars. Some of the floor poses give you an option how to put your hands and arms.

Yeah, maybe they mean the poses on floor, but there's not really any skill variations. You can also do a straddle or pike glide on bars. On floor, the arms are optional for the curtsy before the back extension, the pose after the cross step and before the wave, and after they sit up from the sequential fall, there are two beats that are optional as long as they remain sitting (but can move legs too).

Having just lived through these two levels, my observation is that 5 is the level with some options. We saw some kids do a layout dismount on bars instead of a tuck dismount, and some do the 'toe around' instead of the squat-on before jumping to high bar. Floor switch leap was a nice upgrade option for those ready. BHS was seen a bit on beam instead of BWO, but not too often.

During our full season of L4, I never saw any variation in skills at all.

No variations in L4 (never saw the bar variation, but it's possible). For L5 they can do BHS instead of BWO on beam, switch leap instead of split leap in floor and layout flyaway instead of tuck. Not entirely sure about the pike on/toe circle, I vaguely remember reading something about that as an option but our gym never did that nor did I see it in any of the meets.
My gymmie did BHS on beam and LO flyaway most of the season, as did most of our L5's. Some did switch leaps, some didn't (mine didn't, hers isn't very good). The ending pose has some guidelines (L4 has to stay seated, L5 has to not be standing or something like that) but is otherwise open for interpretation. :)

My child think FHS off beam is L4. I don't think its 4 or 5. I think they are still handstand to twist for both, just a question of degrees
Actually it's a question of length of holding the handstand; L3, momentary, L4 1 sec, level 5 2 seconds.

The only choices in level 4 are 1) bars squat on or pike on 2) the floor ending can be personalized.

emorymom - is she working backward roll or back extension on beam. For L5 they can do back extension - and we have had girls with back issues choose to do this instead of BWO.

As a former new l4 there is no possible changes. You can only do certain things no exceptions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back