Parents Level 4 Vault Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MuggleMom

Proud Parent
DD is finally making it over the vault for Level 4 (front handspring) While she gets over I will say its not the most--dynamic vault. She doesn't get much flight. I would say its a bit more on the side of jump to Handstand and bridge over the vault. I am just happy she is making it over but what should I expect for a score if she isnt getting much flight? We have an in house meet coming up and I was curious.

Thats what I am afraid of. I am hoping for high 7s low 8s just for her confidence levels but we will see. She has been improving so I am hopeful for as the season goes on but the first meets may be tough.

I remember vault scores being extremely different from level 3 to level 4. Most parents were shocked that many of the girls went from scoring 9s in level 3 to 7s at the beginning of the level 4 season.

Does she pause in the handstand and then slowly bridge over? Or is it a continuous motion where she has a good entry but arches off with only a little bit of a block?

If the former, in my area it would probably be a 6-7. If the latter, usually low 8. Last year, we noticed that anyone who truly paused atop the table was scored very low while those who maintained continuous motion, even without good repulsion off the table, were scoring a bit better.

My DD is not a powerful vaulter, and like you I was just happy to see her get over the table at her first few L4 meets. Her L4 vault scores ranged from 8.0 (several times) to a high of 8.55 (state). I can PM you a couple of videos of her barely 8 vaults if you'd like to see them.... I am Region 5.

Another region 5 here. My DD also had problems with that vault, and scored in the low 7s in the beginning of her 1st season when she didn't properly block. But I promise your DD won't be the only one. For many small girls, getting enough speed and confidence to get a strong block takes a little time. But be patient - by the end of her 1st season, my DD;s vault improved a ton!

My dd, also little, also has trouble with the front handspring vault when she started L4. She got scores in the high 7s at the first couple of meets of L4 and she was the state champ in L3 on vault, lol. Dd had a good entry but her block was not good. She didn’t stop or slow down through the handstand like what you seem to be describing, so I would be prepared for scores in the 6-7 range if it seems like she is bridging and falling out of a handstand.

Does she pause in the handstand and then slowly bridge over? Or is it a continuous motion where she has a good entry but arches off with only a little bit of a block?

If the former, in my area it would probably be a 6-7. If the latter, usually low 8. Last year, we noticed that anyone who truly paused atop the table was scored very low while those who maintained continuous motion, even without good repulsion off the table, were scoring a bit better.

I would say sometimes its the former and sometimes its the latter. On her better vaults its continuous but little block on some its like an handstand bridge over. I will say she always does way better in competition than in practice so I am hopeful it will be her better vaults with the little block but continuous motion. She really wants to make it to states at some point this year and if the Vault scores are way low that will be difficult even if her other events are good. But the above gives me some hope and I definitely think she will improve throughout the year they just started vaulting over the table recently and just started using the springboard last week so we definitely have time to improve!

I can PM you a couple of videos of her barely 8 vaults if you'd like to see them.... I am Region 5.

I would love to see them if you dont mind sharing!

oh, if she is just now starting to use the board, she'll be fine! Once she has a good grasp on how to punch, she'll be able to get some power off the table. I wouldn't worry!

Just so you're not shocked, if she competes what you describe, her highest score would be a 7.70. If she can get some block and stay in a tight hollow off the table, it won't be as bad. But a "backbend" off the table has no height, no distance, too long in support, and no repulsion. If she starts competing in january, she still has time to fix these things. Don't worry, it will get better.

@MuggleMom we are in the same boat! That vault is tough for small kiddos. DD scored in the 9s last year in level 3 and I want to be able to prepare her for this year that she shouldn’t expect those same scores.

I can PM you a couple of videos of her barely 8 vaults if you'd like to see them.... I am Region 5.

CLgym if you wouldn’t mind PMing those to me too, I think it would be helpful.

Update: We had an in house meet this weekend. We had some vault drama leading up to the meet she was frustrated with the coach and there was some communication issues and we weren't sure what would happen but talked to people and figured it out before the meet and had some good vaults in practice before meet.

Then day of meet she did her two vaults and got over fine both times. Proud to say she got an 8.3--and I was told they were judging hard on vault! Since earlier in the week she couldn't even get over the Vault I am super excited that it went so well. She hit her other routines nicely and has already qualified for states (9's on floor and bars!). Overall she really did great and surprised me (prepare for the worst hope for the best right?). Thank you all for your input and support during these trying times ;):p.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back