WAG Level 5 Routine Deductions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GYM0M

Proud Parent
In the USAG level 5 beam routine, the gymnast must hit a handstand and immediately take two releve' steps backwards in order to complete the skill, right? Is there an alternative to this? If so, what? If not, what, if any, would be the deduction for failing to take these two steps?

No alternative. I don't know what you mean by failing to take the two steps. She falls out of the handstand? She would get back up and take the two steps back. I can't imagine why you would have to omit them.

That said they aren't a major element which means they would fall under a large text error if omitted. Probably would end up being .1 depending on the rest of the routine. If there are deficiencies in the handstand causing the issues then the handstand is a major element worth .6.

We had a competition this weekend and there was a beam routine where the gymnast failed to take these two steps but still scored above a 9.7. I'll admit the routine was nearly flawless other than these two steps. Minor balance checks and a few missed relieve'. I was just unaware that the deduction was so small. Thanks though!

The two steps are choreography, not a major element. If a kid missed them, but still hit and held the handstand, they would probably lose 0.10.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back