WAG Level 6 bars cast & clear hip deductions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I remember a post about this from not too long ago but don't remember the answer. Do level 6s have different angle deductions than levels 7-10?

If the meets we attended are any indication, yes. My DD did a couple of meets at L6 and our girls got deducted for every cast that didn't hit handstand. I didn't think they had to hit handstand but the judges apparently expect it.

I think this isn't being clearly communicated though because I overheard a conversation between another coach and her team parents talking about the reason their bar scores were so low is because "apparently the girls must hit handstand in every cast". They were from out of region so they thought maybe it was a regional thing but we've been in and out of region and have come across the same thing.

If you're asking if level 6s have to cast to handstand or get an amplitude deduction, then yes, they have to cast to handstand. Region does not matter and USAG couldn't make it any more clear, some coaches just don't know the rules at all.

The only way to compete an optional routine and avoid these deductions is to compete Xcel. Specifically, at Gold you need a horizontal cast, platinum above horizontals, diamond 45 above. There aren't amplitude deductions but judges don't award value parts or SR if casts are below that.

If you compete any JO optional level 6-10 then refer to this chart:
http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/J.O. Code of Points/appndx10_BarTechnique2013.pdf

Thanks everyone. We did look at the chart tonight and it is very clear, I just thought I remembered seeing something that someone posted stating that level 6s had different angle deductions so I wanted to check. My group won't be level 6s for two years so I'm sure everyone will have it figured out by then.

If you're asking if level 6s have to cast to handstand or get an amplitude deduction, then yes, they have to cast to handstand. Region does not matter and USAG couldn't make it any more clear, some coaches just don't know the rules at all.

The only way to compete an optional routine and avoid these deductions is to compete Xcel. Specifically, at Gold you need a horizontal cast, platinum above horizontals, diamond 45 above. There aren't amplitude deductions but judges don't award value parts or SR if casts are below that.

If you compete any JO optional level 6-10 then refer to this chart:
http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/J.O. Code of Points/appndx10_BarTechnique2013.pdf
You are ALMOST completely correct...
My OG has gotten amplitude deductions on her "counted" cast when she arches because it doesn't hit horizontal.
Gold: Horizontal requirement... 1º to 45º Below, award the VP and SR, but take up to 0.20 amplitude deduction. More than 45º below, award VP but not SR.
Platinum: Horizontal or Above requirement... 0º to 20º from Vertical... award "B" VP/SR, no amplitude deduction. 21º from Vertical to Horizontal, Award "A" VP/SR, no amplitude deduction. Below Horizontal...Do not award VP/SR, no amplitude deduction.
Diamond: 45º or Above requirement... 0º to 20º from Vertical... award "B" VP/SR, no amplitude deduction. 21º to 45º from Vertical, Award "A" VP/SR, no amplitude deduction. More than 45º from Vertical...Do not award VP/SR, no amplitude deduction.
Only ONE cast is subjected to these requirements though.

Special requirement is only horizontal for cast at L6...but deductions are the same as L7-10.

Our go to routine is kip...front hip...immediate squat on...jump to high...kip...cast handstand...flyaway. Six skills...one "B"...10.0 start. Go low on the cast and it's still a 9.7 start.

You are ALMOST completely correct...
My OG has gotten amplitude deductions on her "counted" cast when she arches because it doesn't hit horizontal.
Gold: Horizontal requirement... 1º to 45º Below, award the VP and SR, but take up to 0.20 amplitude deduction. More than 45º below, award VP but not SR.
Platinum: Horizontal or Above requirement... 0º to 20º from Vertical... award "B" VP/SR, no amplitude deduction. 21º from Vertical to Horizontal, Award "A" VP/SR, no amplitude deduction. Below Horizontal...Do not award VP/SR, no amplitude deduction.
Diamond: 45º or Above requirement... 0º to 20º from Vertical... award "B" VP/SR, no amplitude deduction. 21º to 45º from Vertical, Award "A" VP/SR, no amplitude deduction. More than 45º from Vertical...Do not award VP/SR, no amplitude deduction.
Only ONE cast is subjected to these requirements though.

http://usagym.org/docs/Women/xcel/bardeductions.pdf

Okay so gold has an amplitude deduction only where credit is still awarded. But in order to get the full .2 you'd have to have a really low cast. If they are a bit off horizontal they might get .05 then.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back