Coaches Level 6 bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Coach2400

Coach
Proud Parent
Wondering if anyone has level 6's who competed this season and can share the details of their bar routines.
Would love to know:
1. Description of the skills that made up the routine
2. The start value and why?
3. What the routine scored?

Thanks in advance!

Kip, cast to above horizontal, clear hip circle, kip, squat on, high bar kip, cast to above horizontal, clear hip circle, underswing, flyaway...
SV: 10.0
Best Score: 8.7 ... her casts weren't close enough to vertical and bent knees and flexed toes and a step on the landing.

Thanks Raendrops! We are putting routines together right now (in the gym now). Did you see anyone do: kip, squat-on, kip, cast above horizontal, clear-hip, fly-away. I know its missing an A but Ill take the 9.9 start value vs. one more skill that will probably lose more than one tenth. Any more thoughts or ideas? Thanks for helping. Our meet is next week!

I have seen something similar... but hopefully the cast is close to handstand so they dont take the 2.-.3 hit on that one too... and how is the gymnast's back hip circle? That would be an extra A if it is solid.

And Good Luck at the meet. We have our 4th meet Saturday :)

We are not using back hip circles as Im not sure how that would work without breaking rhythm on swinging.

Looking over old congress notes and I read that the compositional deductions do not apply to level 6 as the other optional levels. But Im getting mixed messages. The SR cast in level 6 should not get the up to .3 deduction if not to handstand. I guess I will find out this weekend one way or another.

Looking over old congress notes and I read that the compositional deductions do not apply to level 6 as the other optional levels. But Im getting mixed messages. The SR cast in level 6 should not get the up to .3 deduction if not to handstand. I guess I will find out this weekend one way or another.
That was how I read it, but everyone else on here says that they still get a deduction (like all the Optional Levels) if the cast doesn't hit or come close to Handstand. Also, you have to remember that what they said in the past (as far back as early summer) does not even necessarily apply now- there have been a lot of changes, lol.

That was how I read it, but everyone else on here says that they still get a deduction (like all the Optional Levels) if the cast doesn't hit or come close to Handstand. Also, you have to remember that what they said in the past (as far back as early summer) does not even necessarily apply now- there have been a lot of changes, lol.
I was just on the USAG website. I looked at the most recent pages available for download...
A cast as required in Level 7 (45º from vertical) is considered an "A" Skill... so they are not REQUIRED to hit Handstand!!!!! Cast Handstand (or within 20º is considered a "B" Skill!
In Level 6, there should not be too much of a deduction as long as they are above horizontal, but it won't count for an "A" unless they hit 45º AND it could be up to 0.2 amplitude deduction.

I was just on the USAG website. I looked at the most recent pages available for download...
A cast as required in Level 7 (45º from vertical) is considered an "A" Skill... so they are not REQUIRED to hit Handstand!!!!! Cast Handstand (or within 20º is considered a "B" Skill!
In Level 6, there should not be too much of a deduction as long as they are above horizontal, but it won't count for an "A" unless they hit 45º AND it could be up to 0.2 amplitude deduction.
Can you please specify what pages say a 45 degree cast is an A skill?

If you read the text it says "with 1/2 turn (cast and turn occur on same side of bar). Then look at the picture..it's not demonstrating just a cast. It's a cast with a 1/2 turn. A cast that is not within 20 degrees of vertical gets no value part in USAG.
I read it wrong (as OR together with a half turn), lol... then I guess everyone that can't cast high enough should just do a cast with a 1/2 turn... :D

I thought it was weird since everyone was saying there was no A cast anymore ;)

Arrived in Reno a few hours ago. I guess I'll find out tomorrow what level 6 bars will look like. We have three routines ready to throw. Hopefully we do beam or floor first so I have time to watch the other level 6 bar routines. They want to do the easiest routine naturally because its the cleanest. All the coaches in my area did not have clear answers as to what they were expecting to see. I'll share when I know more tomorrow. First meet of the season for us. So is there an A cast or do we agree there's not? Without the A cast our start value will not be out of a 10 but if A's are worth.. Shoot Im now forgetting, is it one tenth or two? My COP is left at home. Im going to get some Zzz's. love when your session starts at noon;)

Thanks fliptwisttwirl! That's what I thought. So we will start out of a 9.9 today but the routine is real short and sweet. ( kip, squat-on, kip, 3/4 cast, clear-hip, fly-away) That's only 5 skills if there's no A cast but the routine is easier than the level 5. We have our giants but saving them for level 7 and need a few weeks to clean them up.
Our casts are not to handstand yet so we dropped down to level 6 at the last minute. I have kids who can do handstands but don't go for them out of their kips, frustrating! I'm betting on it being fear based.

Arrived in Reno a few hours ago. I guess I'll find out tomorrow what level 6 bars will look like. We have three routines ready to throw. Hopefully we do beam or floor first so I have time to watch the other level 6 bar routines. They want to do the easiest routine naturally because its the cleanest. All the coaches in my area did not have clear answers as to what they were expecting to see. I'll share when I know more tomorrow. First meet of the season for us. So is there an A cast or do we agree there's not? Without the A cast our start value will not be out of a 10 but if A's are worth.. Shoot Im now forgetting, is it one tenth or two? My COP is left at home. Im going to get some Zzz's. love when your session starts at noon;)
Coach2400 - Had a few girls compete the 9.9 start value routine today with scores in the high 8's, with cast and clear hip only about horizontal or slightly above. So if your girls are casting higher, would expect a little higher. Saw a mix of this routine and the clear hip on low, kip cast to flyaway on high. Scores for the 2 routines very similar, dependent mostly on cast heights.

I had two 6's today. Both scored 8.4 out of 9.9 start value. No A cast confirmed!
Overall I think level 6 is easier than level 5.

I find level 6 easier than level 5 as well, so my gym is skipping level 6 and girls are going to go straight from level 5 to level 7. The cast has to hit horizontal for no deduction, but has to get above horizontal for the element group requirement. So a gymnast casts right above horizontal, they will get the requirement but the deduction for not hitting handstand.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back