WAG Level 7 Bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Giants are a basic skill, so it depends on the gym. At most gyms, no giants equals no level 7... Doesn't matter what the code says.

Reactions: sce
She may find herself perpetually behind on bars.

I really hate this verbage.

To the point that every time my girls coach would say it I would reframe it. They finally got it around level 6/7. They no longer use when speaking about where the kids are at,

My kid is a turtle. Our gym doesn’t do a lot of hours. So yes it takes them longer in days/months to get the same skills kids get quicker because they go 2x the amount of hours in a week. When you look at the total amount hours they go vs when they get the skill it’s likely pretty comparable it just takes lower hour kids longer in days/months. And she is still slower then the kids who go the same hours. And when she gets the same skills the other kids have (she always does), she usually outscores them.

She did some extra time in L6 while the rest went to L7. Last season she moved L7 all but 1 of the L7s stayed 7s. She outscrored all but one of her team at states, their second time, her first.

She is not “behind”. She is on her own trajectory.

A sailboat will never get to a destination in the same time as a speed boat. But it will get there, just a different kind of ride.

I often wonder how many kids have quit because they are “behind” and feeling they will never catch up. Especially in optionals, when there are other things they can do to compete but their gyms/coaches won’t let them. Making optionals, not so optional.

To the point that every time my girls coach would say it I would reframe it. They finally got it around level 6/7. They no longer use when speaking about where the kids are at,

My kid is a turtle. Our gym doesn’t do a lot of hours. So yes it takes them longer in days/months to get the same skills kids get quicker because they go 2x the amount of hours in a week. When you look at the total amount hours they go vs when they get the skill it’s likely pretty comparable it just takes lower hour kids longer in days/months. And she is still slower then the kids who go the same hours. And when she gets the same skills the other kids have (she always does), she usually outscores them.

She did some extra time in L6 while the rest went to L7. Last season she moved L7 all but 1 of the L7s stayed 7s. She outscrored all but one of her team at states, their second time, her first.

A sailboat will never get to a destination in the same time as a speed boat. But it will get there, just a different kind of ride.

I often wonder how many kids have quit because they are “behind” and feeling they will never catch up. Especially in optionals, when there are other things they can do to compete but their gyms/coaches won’t let them. Making optionals, not so optional.
Exactly this! I witnessed a coach yelling at a kid that she was "behind" yesterday (after a pretty productive summer of training) and couldn't help wonder what/who she was behind? Who sets this standard? So frustrating.

Exactly this! I witnessed a coach yelling at a kid that she was "behind" yesterday (after a pretty productive summer of training) and couldn't help wonder what/who she was behind? Who sets this standard? So frustrating.
My kid has an injury at the moment. So she is technically “behind” her own timeline but it’s just never words I use with her. It’s words I don’t want anyone using with her.

We have had to have some discussion about where she is at and realistic expectations. But it’s not about being behind. It’s about getting back. You can argue it’s the same difference. But how you view it matters. She knows she will have less chances to qualify for states. She knows given the time she has lost she may not “medal”. But she doesn’t have the added pressure of being behind. She is like Mom don’t worry, I have muscle memory, I’ll get it. And she will it get it, that’s the focus. Not the when.

Thank you! My kid is easily one who is considered “behind” her peers, both age wise and level wise, but she’s trucking along the best she can and making strides. The medals sort everything out the best that it needs sorting and beyond that all we want is a happy and healthy gymnast. Something like giants may be a “basic” skill, but it’s one my DD will never have, and I’m glad not having it won’t keep her from progressing the best that SHE can, which is to L8 at most.

Thank you for all of these great thoughts! The word "behind' really is thrown around a lot and while I understand that it means "behind your teammates" or "behind where we want you to be at this point", etc, I think that our gym and parents (clearly including myself here!!) need to truly adopt the philosophy that every child is own their own journey. Our gym has always done a pretty great job at making sure that kids stay pretty close together skill progression wise, so falling "behind" is definitely new to my DD.

This really resonates with me. I had not thought of like this. You are right. If pushed to make a higher level and then struggling and being "behind" your peers...yes, that probably would make a lot of kids want to be done. I don't feel that our gym uses optionals quite the way they could. Looks like all kids do the same passes on floor, same series on beam for tumbling and leaps, same bars routine exactly and 90% use the same vault. Until level 9/10. Maybe this is common.

I don't feel that our gym uses optionals quite the way they could. Looks like all kids do the same passes on floor, same series on beam for tumbling and leaps, same bars routine exactly and 90% use the same vault. Until level 9/10. Maybe this is common.

I think it’s just easier for them as in the coaches if the gymmies all do the same things. I’ve seen teams that use the same floor music in L6 with the exact same routine for the whole team. The only possible reason for that is is easier for the coach.

Our gym has passes that they would prefer. But they get that they need to adapt for the kid. We had a gymmie that just wouldn’t back tumble on floor. BHS on beam sure, not on floor though. She was the only kid with forward tumbling. And had a gorgeous floor.

I get the Giant is important but why hold them back from competing a level the are perfectly capable to compete based on the lack of one skill especially a skill not required? Once again reminds me that while our gym isn’t perfect, they are a good fit for us.

Thank you for all of these great thoughts! The word "behind' really is thrown around a lot and while I understand that it means "behind your teammates" or "behind where we want you to be at this point", etc, I think that our gym and parents (clearly including myself here!!) need to truly adopt the philosophy that every child is own their own journey. Our gym has always done a pretty great job at making sure that kids stay pretty close together skill progression wise, so falling "behind" is definitely new to my DD.

This really resonates with me. I had not thought of like this. You are right. If pushed to make a higher level and then struggling and being "behind" your peers...yes, that probably would make a lot of kids want to be done. I don't feel that our gym uses optionals quite the way they could. Looks like all kids do the same passes on floor, same series on beam for tumbling and leaps, same bars routine exactly and 90% use the same vault. Until level 9/10. Maybe this is common.
Our gym is one of those that is definitely NOT cookie cutter routines. Everyone in Optionals (L6-8 and Xcel Gold -Platinum) competes what fits the requirements in their own way.
YG is an Xcel Platinum. Last year on floor, she was the only one on her team competing a Front Pike and a ROBT ... until the last meet of the season when she competed a ROBHSBT and a ROBHS. This year, she is training both FHSFT and FT-FT to see which she gets quicker. On bars, she is training both a clear hip and a flyaway 1/2. She is the only Platinum competing a 1/2-1/2 vault too. It is what works for her.
None of our L7s compete giants ... and neither do the L8s, but they still sometimes outscore gymnasts competing giants.

Yes, YES! All of this.

"Comparison is the killer of joy" is a quote I think captures this sport (and many other parts of life) so well.

My kid - the turtle of all turtles - would have quit by now had she been at many other gyms. BUT she has coaches who help her figure out how to find the skills that she is comfortable with for the level she is trying to attain. And if her coaches compared her to other kids in the gym (which is many high-flying, talented girls) and told her she was "behind", she would be out the door.

Instead, I have a happy kid who has set her own individual goals, works hard and has encouraging coaches who are well trained in knowing where to push (yes, there are times she really needs to get certain skills and be comfortable with them before moving on) vs. where to find an alternate route.

Thank goodness for those alternate routes for optional gymnasts. And here's a toast to all those turtles out there who are still plugging away.

And here's a toast to all those turtles out there who are still plugging away.
I think YG counts as a turtle ... 2 years of old L4, 1 year L3, 2 years Xcel Gold (with a year off competing in between), going into 2nd year Xcel Platinum. HOPING for Level 6 for the 2019-20 season, but knows she needs to get a couple skills first ... giving herself more than a year to do it ;)

On that note, one of my favorite things is a coach that is open to new things. My DD’s NY coach had told her that he didn’t think her routine met L8 requirements without a giant or a pirouette. She told him she was sure it did and he promised to do his research. Today he told her he had, and not only was he glad her routine would work for her, he is hoping now that another girl who was struggling with her pirouette could switch to a toe hecht to high bar instead too. I love that.

One of the things I really value about my DD's gym is that each level contains a wide variety of ages. It really does seem to create a family atmosphere within the levels, and my DD looks at some of her older teammates as big sisters. Because it happens throughout the gym, no one kid feels "too old" or "behind" where they're supposed to be. They coaches really encourage the older ones to step up as leaders in terms of morale, responsibility, and things like that, even if they aren't the leaders in terms of gymnastics. Maybe it would help your DD to look at herself as someone who can set a good example for her new group if she's now going to be the oldest.

One of the things I really value about my DD's gym is that each level contains a wide variety of ages. It really does seem to create a family atmosphere within the levels, and my DD looks at some of her older teammates as big sisters. Because it happens throughout the gym, no one kid feels "too old" or "behind" where they're supposed to be. They coaches really encourage the older ones to step up as leaders in terms of morale, responsibility, and things like that, even if they aren't the leaders in terms of gymnastics. Maybe it would help your DD to look at herself as someone who can set a good example for her new group if she's now going to be the oldest.

I'd love for that to be the case but she'll actually still be one of the younger ones in that group as well. She's the youngest in her current group by just over a year. She'd probably be about 6 months older than the youngest in the L6 group. Most of those girls are in her grade though which may be a good change for her. Maybe she can be the encouraging one to them if they are struggling... Thanks for this perspective.

This thread hits home... my DD is in the same boat and will compete L6 this year because of bars.

The discussion about being “behind” is interesting to me, as there’s been general consensus DD is behind on bars. She has her BHS-BHS series on beam and is working higher upgrades. On floor, she can twist (has a 1.5 and is working a double full) and is working on FLO-FT. She can flip a yurchenko on vault (not great yet, as her group rarely works on it). But bars... ugh. She is solidly at L6 - kip-cast-HS is inconsistent, clear hip is barely above horizontal, and no giants. She can’t seem to translate what she does quite well on strap bar to the real bars. Some of it seems to be fear stemming from seeing two teammates badly injured at her old gym. Some is lack of confidence - she has been behind her new teammates on bars since changing gyms last year. She made huge strides during summer training on everything else, but barely progressed on bars.

She has (mostly) made her peace with competing L6. She says her beam and floor routines are L7, so I guess the coach wants to keep her challenged. Privates are an option at her gym, but I don’t want to push. She seems unsure that it would help, anyway. Is it possible something will “click” eventually? Is there anything I could do or say to give her encouragement?

This thread hits home... my DD is in the same boat and will compete L6 this year because of bars.

The discussion about being “behind” is interesting to me, as there’s been general consensus DD is behind on bars. She has her BHS-BHS series on beam and is working higher upgrades. On floor, she can twist (has a 1.5 and is working a double full) and is working on FLO-FT. She can flip a yurchenko on vault (not great yet, as her group rarely works on it). But bars... ugh. She is solidly at L6 - kip-cast-HS is inconsistent, clear hip is barely above horizontal, and no giants. She can’t seem to translate what she does quite well on strap bar to the real bars. Some of it seems to be fear stemming from seeing two teammates badly injured at her old gym. Some is lack of confidence - she has been behind her new teammates on bars since changing gyms last year. She made huge strides during summer training on everything else, but barely progressed on bars.

She has (mostly) made her peace with competing L6. She says her beam and floor routines are L7, so I guess the coach wants to keep her challenged. Privates are an option at her gym, but I don’t want to push. She seems unsure that it would help, anyway. Is it possible something will “click” eventually? Is there anything I could do or say to give her encouragement?
This is different in my eyes. Your DD is behind herself, just developing uneven. The behind we are talking about is comparing to teammates

How is her upper body and core strength?

Our gym added more conditioning, especially upper body and core. Has helped their bars big time

This is different in my eyes. Your DD is behind herself, just developing uneven. The behind we are talking about is comparing to teammates

That’s true - she is definitely ‘behind herself’ in that she’s not progressing evenly. I guess in DD’s case, she’s not behind her teammates now because she is with the L6 group, but if she had moved to L7 as planned, she would be behind on bars. It’s all relative. I just feel bad that she sees herself as “behind” the girls she consider her peers.

How is her upper body and core strength?

Our gym added more conditioning, especially upper body and core. Has helped their bars big time

I think strength is at least part of it. She has a very strong core, but she’s never had quite as much upper body strength as others. She is getting stronger though. Her new gym conditions a lot - WAY more than the old gym, and I believe that’s a big reason she’s made such progress on the other events. It just hasn’t moved the needle much on bars (yet).

I'm sorry to hear that. So they require a skill that is not technically required and make it difficult get it.

I totally understand why you are frustrated for her. You just don't feel she was set up to succeed.
Sadly, we are in the same boat. But, instead of competing 6, my DD will be competing 7 and scratching bars until she gets her giant.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back