WAG level 8 bars pirouette question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yuenling

Proud Parent
Hello! My DD's coach thinks her free hip to handstand is better than her cast to handstand for pirouetting. I think it sounds like a harder, riskier routine. Does this make sense to anyone? Have you guys seen it done often in level 8? She is still getting a hang of level 8 routines, so she isn't very good at pirouetting out of either skill, but I guess the coach thinks she has more potential in getting it out of the clear hip to handstand (on the low bar)

I don't know if this has anything to do with your DD's coach's decision, but my DD told me that by connecting her pirouette to her CH-HS, she would receive a bonus in L9. Maybe the coach is thinking toward the same thing??? Of course, that assumes that connecting the two in the opposite direction counts the same and I don't see why it wouldn't. But again, I don't know.

That's good to know that it could be a good progression for level 9. It just seems ironic that she is doing this because her coach doesn't like her kip cast handstand. It's like running before walking. It sounds like a bigger risk but I would be thrilled if it is useful for the future and if it could possibly make her level 8 bar routine look better.

Is she more consistent getting to the handstand to allow for the pirouette? If so, that could be the reason, too.
Yes, that's her coach's reasoning. But it still seems unusual and riskier. That's why I wonder how common it is and if there's any other advantage .

Free hip 1/2 is considered one skill (c) Nothing wrong with it, my kids learn them just as a fail safe. But the cast hand stand needs to be fixed regardless so.....

My dd back in her first year of L8 considered doing the clear hip 1/2 also, but then had to add an additional skill to have the minimum required skills or to meet the special requirement? I think she was trying to minimize the casts in her routine because they were not to HS, or when they were to HS the form was not good…

Free hip 1/2 is considered one skill (c) Nothing wrong with it, my kids learn them just as a fail safe. But the cast hand stand needs to be fixed regardless so.....
I also would like to see her be able to pirouette out of a cast handstand, but don't want to be giving her an "assignment" that her coach doesn't give her. In the meantime, she does do floor bar pirouette drills and lots of kip cast handstands (no pirouettes). I told her that even though she isn't being asked to pirouette out of the cast handstand, she could focus on holding her handstand for 2 seconds so that she can have the option to pirouette if it ever were needed. I hope this covers our bases.

By the way, i've been reading old threads about pirouetting. What does it mean to "dump" over the bar?

I also would like to see her be able to pirouette out of a cast handstand, but don't want to be giving her an "assignment" that her coach doesn't give her. In the meantime, she does do floor bar pirouette drills and lots of kip cast handstands (no pirouettes). I told her that even though she isn't being asked to pirouette out of the cast handstand, she could focus on holding her handstand for 2 seconds so that she can have the option to pirouette if it ever were needed. I hope this covers our bases.

By the way, i've been reading old threads about pirouetting. What does it mean to "dump" over the bar?
Pirouette should finish in hand stand, when it finishes late it's called dumping. Amongst other reasons why it dumps, bent arms poor body shape, late turn.
Now stop instructing your child, (I mean that in the kindness way). :)

Pirouette should finish in hand stand, when it finishes late it's called dumping. Amongst other reasons why it dumps, bent arms poor body shape, late turn.
Now stop instructing your child, (I mean that in the kindness way). :)
Haha! I meant to clarify that the *coach* makes her do floor bar and kip cast handstands drills. She's a teenager so she wouldn't give me the time of day anyway.

My level 8 would like be to get her clear hip to the point where she could pirouette out of it. That skill is her nemesis right now. I guess it's better than this time last year when the pirouette was giving her fits.

By the way, is the routine going to score lower if she does the free hip on the low bar versus the high bar? She is capable of free hipping on the high bar but if she already free hipped on the low bar, she can't do another on the high bar, is that right?

If you do it on high bar you eliminate an extra kip or element out of the free hip on the low. In other words when you eliminate skills you eliminate deductions .

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back