Level 8 Beam Series?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been trying out a bunch of beam series's lately, and I've noticed that almost all people do either back handspring back handspring or back walkover back handspring, and I was wondering if any particular series was judged differently or more harsh in level 8. Even if they don't judge harder, are more deductions possible with a certain series?

Thanks!

Like you said, both series are acceptable at L8, but I would think most girls who make it to Regionals (which is the highest for L8) will be doing the BHS-BHS and that the judges will score a BHS-BHS series higher than a BWO-BHS. If both series were peformed with absolutely no deductions I would think the BHS-BHS routine scores higher.

Now what each gymnast is capable of doing to the best of their ability is up for the coach to decide. Some might think if you hit the BWO-BHS every time you compete, but sporatically hit the BHS-BHS then a coach might want the gymnast to do the BWO-BHS. Regardless of competition, the gymnast should always be striving for the BHS-BHS, at least in practice, because it builds for the next level - where the top gymnasts will be doin the BHS-BLO, not the BHS-BHS (L9).

BHS BHS and BWO BHS score about as well in L8. For the BWO BHS they might take not up to the level since there are a lot of BHS BHS out there now. Other series tend to be more difficult to connect. Another series without two B flight elements would likely have the same "not up to the level" issue. The reason BHS BHS and BWO BHS are so popular is because they are the most progressive towards an easily connected series with a C acro element - BHS BT or BHS layout. This is the L10 requirement and takes several years to achieve, so it makes sense to train the progressions in L7 and 8.

Other options

I'm a level 8 and I've had going backwards fear issues since level 6. I do bwo (w/switch legs on top) swing through round off. I've also competed front walk front hand and carwheel front hand.

I forgot to add that I am doing currently a cartwheel round off right now, but i still have a back handspring in my routine.
I know that it is the easiest series out there, but is there a chance that I will get ripped off just for not using my back handspring in a series? I do connect the two skills pretty well and I know that I push off enough in my round off for the flight requirement.

I forgot to add that I am doing currently a cartwheel round off right now, but i still have a back handspring in my routine.
I know that it is the easiest series out there, but is there a chance that I will get ripped off just for not using my back handspring in a series? I do connect the two skills pretty well and I know that I push off enough in my round off for the flight requirement.

You won't get "ripped off." There is a compositional deduction for "acro elements not up to the competitive level" (up to .2) and in some states/regions what you would expect to see at states or regionals in L8 is BHS BHS which is two elements with flight, both Bs. So not doing a series that meets that description could result in a compositional deduction.

There is also a deduction for lack of tempo/poor rhythm that is up to .2 which may be applied. If they give you the connection then this series should fulfill the requirements which is an acro series with at least one flight element. There is also a deduction for no fwd/side/bwd acro at .1 each, so you have backward and side. If you did a front tuck dismount I think they evaluate that at .05. If you have a fwd acro skill on the beam it wouldn't be an issue obviously.

There is also a deduction for lack of tempo/poor rhythm that is up to .2 which may be applied. If they give you the connection then this series should fulfill the requirements which is an acro series with at least one flight element. There is also a deduction for no fwd/side/bwd acro at .1 each, so you have backward and side. If you did a front tuck dismount I think they evaluate that at .05. If you have a fwd acro skill on the beam it wouldn't be an issue obviously.

Just to clarify, the compositional deduction you are talking about is "failure to perform acrobatic elements in two different directions (backwards and forwards or sidewards)." So, you need one skill that goes either forward or sidewise and one that goes backward, or you can lose .1 on each. If the dismount is the only backward or only forward/sideways element, you lose 0.05.

So, if your series is cartwheel, round-off, you fulfill the forward/sidewards requirement. Since you also have a BHS in your routine, you won't be losing anything for lack of variety in direction of acrobatic elements.

So, if your series is cartwheel, round-off, you fulfill the forward/sidewards requirement. Since you also have a BHS in your routine, you won't be losing anything for lack of variety in direction of acrobatic elements.

Okay, that's good. I have a back handspring on the high beam, but I didn't compete it in level 7, i had a round off so my coach isn't letting me use the back handspring for a series even though I'd be just fine with it.

I have a teammate who did not compete a bhs in level seven and competed a cartwheel round off in level 8. Now she is training level 9 and working on a bhs bhs or bhs back tuck series.
If she does a bhs bhs series she will have to do switch leap switch leap to have a 10 start value.

There are other series you can do on beam as well,

fhs fhs
fwo fhs
fro bhs
fhs bhs
bhs bwo
cartwheel fhs
round off bhs
round off punch to fly spring step out (ive onl;y seen that competed once)

Just play to you're strengths and practice practice practice and you should score weel:)

Good Luck!

I've seen: Cartwheel - round off, BWO - BHS, BHS - BHS, Handstand - BHS, and dive cartwheel, cartwheel. The only way the judge is technically allowed to score one lower than the other is if something is missing. (assuming they are are done perfectly). They do look at content of the over all routine for difficulty and if they think the routine doesn't meet what they see as a level 8 skill level, they have a few tenths to work with.

The bwo-bhs series will score just as well for level 8 as the bhs-bhs as long as you have another B acro element in your routine (fwo, fhs, round-off). The compositional deduction is taken for the overall routine, not the series, judges are looking for a balance of difficulty between acro and dance (at least 2 acro B's and 2 dance B's for level 8). One of our level 8's won regionals on beam with a bwo-bhs series, her routine also included fwo for a 2nd acro B.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back