WAG Level 8 Beam Series

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Pretty sure the deduction is only .05 so rather negligible. My dd did the bhs-bhs-full dismount at L8 and was Regional beam champion, so it’s a viable strategy many coaches use.

It’s small, .1 and it doesn’t come off the SV so if an athlete doesn’t have a strong front/side skill then it isn’t a big deal.

She can do a decent FWO or FHS on beam, so if she needed to she would be able to put a FW skill in. As of now, her dismount stays as a CW or RO into either a BT, BP or BLO depending on the day, lol..! I do like the more creative but still progressive approaches. I anticipate DD to stay L8 next year and be able to do upgrades, it is possible for her to have a spurt and go L9 but I feel like a second year of L8 is a fairly safe bet..! :)

My daughter is doing a tick tock BHS for her first few level 8 meets - BHS BHS is shaky and not consistent at this point. Dismount is round-off layout, and her coach hasn't put any additional acro skill in her routine, although she has her FWO and BT. Wondering if she will have a lower start value or a "not up to level" deduction until she adds in her BHS BHS??

The tick tock BHS fulfills the acro requirement as long as she connects it; if she's not connecting the BHSs in addition to falling, that's a wise choice on the part of her coach. (Remember that losing the connection knocks out the series requirement and comes off SV.) If that's all the acro in her routine, by my read she would have a full 10.0 SV but could incur the comparatively small composition deduction. I assume she has the other necessaries. In the L8 routines I've seen, I have not seen very many FWOs, FHSs, or ROs performed that incurred no deductions, so it really is going to be at best a wash for a lot of athletes in terms of scores.

Her coach probably wants her to learn the BHS BHS BT dsmt as prep for harder dismount series in level 9 and up. However, there is a composition deduction at level 8 and up if athletes only have tumbling skills in one direction (ex. All backwards skills) so the round off (which is also worth the same as a BHS) is a good thing to have.
That’s right about the round off fulfilling is it a side wards or forwards skill for 8?? Interestingly our gym will not let my daughter do bwo bhs layout dismount or even bhs bhs layout dismount. They insist on the round off bc they are saying the round off is a harder dismount skill with more to build on for 9&10. My daughter is not super thrilled bc she doesn’t like the round off.

The tick tock BHS fulfills the acro requirement as long as she connects it; if she's not connecting the BHSs in addition to falling, that's a wise choice on the part of her coach. (Remember that losing the connection knocks out the series requirement and comes off SV.) If that's all the acro in her routine, by my read she would have a full 10.0 SV but could incur the comparatively small composition deduction. I assume she has the other necessaries. In the L8 routines I've seen, I have not seen very many FWOs, FHSs, or ROs performed that incurred no deductions, so it really is going to be at best a wash for a lot of athletes in terms of scores.
Thank you profmom. That is what I was hoping would be the case.

That’s right about the round off fulfilling is it a side wards or forwards skill for 8?? Interestingly our gym will not let my daughter do bwo bhs layout dismount or even bhs bhs layout dismount. They insist on the round off bc they are saying the round off is a harder dismount skill with more to build on for 9&10. My daughter is not super thrilled bc she doesn’t like the round off.

Your DD is not alone, mine feels the same.

A round off is a “sideways” skill.

There is a good reason gyms push the round off dismount:
1. much easier to get power for higher level dismounts (most athletes)
2. Its a sideways skill-helps with composition
3. A round off on beam is helpful in training straight round offs for Yurchenko work

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back