Level and Switching Gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My two twin daughters competed at a level 7 meet a few months ago and scored really well (this is their second year). It was an in house meet, so we had a judge come out. One got a 36.9 the other a 37.1. So the gym they are currently at moved them up to level 8.

We are considering switching gyms. The new gym has amazing coaches! They have a very small optional team so the girls would get a lot of attention, however, the gym is tiny. It's about half the size of the gym we are at right now and doesn't even have a pit. The girls say the beams are wobbly and the floor is SUPER hard.

The gym we are at right now is fairly large, and has very nice equipment. But, the coaches are terrible!!! We have ONE group of 15 girls ranging for level 5P to level 9. It is crazy, noisy, and none of the girls get anything done. We recently had a coach quit, so that 5P's and 6's go with optionals, and the coach is only coaching them. She is ignoring the optionals.

So should we got with the gym we are at? Or switch to the better staffed gym?

Also, the new gym says that my DD's can choose if they want to do 7, or 8. But they would rather have them do level 7. DD's don't want to do 7 again....

What level should they do?

Thanks you so much for reading this!

Last edited:
I'm assuming these are the only two options? There's no way to try any other gyms? Does the better staffed gym have girls above L7/8?

No, all the other gyms are over two hours away and they practice from 9-3 every day. (You do school at the gym) The new gym has 2 level 7's and the coach has coached elite level girls, but right now they have no level 8's. They did but one stopped, and the other moved to a different state.

Doesn't sound like any real good solutions(we're in the same boat). I guess one thing standing out for me, is if the gym you're considering has such great coaches then why such a small optional team? In an area where there aren't many gyms to pick from, I would think word would get out about their program.

No pit isn't a deal breaker, but it will make learning those higher level skills tougher. Is there any chance that the current gym is going to hire another coach since 15:1 is not a good situation. The gym you're looking at should give you more guidance on what level your dds should be at. Why 7 instead of 8? Maybe they feel more comfortable coaching that level since they have no 8s right now? Does this gym have any plans to build up their team or would your girls end up being the highest level with no one to look up to or train with?

Ok, this is a way out idea, but you never know. Would your current gym allow your dds to go to this other gym for privates to get the coaching they aren't getting now? Like I said crazy idea, but...........

BTW--What is a 5P? Just curious.

I would probably stick it out at the current gym for awhile longer. Seems they have gotten your girls far quickly (they were level 6s in June and had skipped levels) and they scored well at their level 7 meet (did they do a full season of level 7?). Unless this wasn't the same gym they started at. Maybe talk to the owners about what their plans are for getting a new optional coach? If they have none though, I guess you might have no other choice. Sounds like a tough situation. What do your other gymnasts want to do? The other gym sounds like it has good coaches but not so good equipment/facility, maybe ask if they are considering upgrading or anything? A hard floor can't be good long term, ouch.

Good luck figuring it all out!

I think you need to try to stay where you are. The other gym may have great coaches but with wobby beams, hard floor and no pit its going to be very hard for your dds to learn the harder skills, no matter how good the coaches are. Like the other mom said, I would question why a gym would have poor facilities and a tiny optional team if the coaches are so good. Sounds odd to me.

Good Luck.

Much easier & probable to hire a new coach than to replace beams, a floor and put pits in. Be patient-maybe the amazing coaches from the other gym will move to you place bc the facility is better!

I travel over 4hours too my gym everyday or every other day because i also have a in house gym constiting of bars, beam, vault and floor i choose to travel 4 hours each way everyday because could not up lift my brother and sisters (all 19 of them) just for my own gain. If i was you i would look into other gyms even if theyare 2 hours away beacause it sounds like your daughters are very talented

I travel over 4hours too my gym everyday or every other day because i also have a in house gym constiting of bars, beam, vault and floor i choose to travel 4 hours each way everyday because could not up lift my brother and sisters (all 19 of them) just for my own gain. If i was you i would look into other gyms even if theyare 2 hours away beacause it sounds like your daughters are very talented

Holy , travellling four hours each way every day of the week or every other day seems like quite alot. 19 brothers and sisters, wow thats crazy too.

If I were you, I'd go with the smaller gym. If the coaching is amazing here, the coaches can train your kid well. Of course a pit would help...but bigger facility does not mean better gymnasts , good coaching does...

If your girls are saying that the gym with better coaching has wobbly beams, hard floor, etc. - I'm assuming that they've personally been there to try it out? I ask b/c if you go on hearsay of other gymnasts, equipment is a great fall back for kids who may need an excuse for not performing well. I'm not saying that that is the case, just that I would have them try the equipment out themselves before assuming that things are as bad there as what's said.

As for the no pit, it's not a deal breaker (we're at a gym with no foam pit). While it would be awesome to have a pit, with the right coaching you can do it without.

Is the better coaching gym pushing for repeat level 7 b/c it's easier for them, or b/c the girls don't have everything that they need to compete level 8 and the season is coming up fast? If the latter is the case, then I appreciate their knowledge and would go with their expertise, appreciating that they are suggesting what is best for my dds. IFthey're pushing for repeat 7 b/c it would be more convient for them for whatever reason (breakdown of groups or time at meets, whatever) then I would question whether they would do what is best for their gymmies above what is more convient for them as a business.

Good luck

A good coach is worth more than good equipment. A good coach can do amazing things with limited resources.

Thanks everybody for the advice.

This is a brand new gym, they moved it to our town about 2 months ago, which is why they are small as in team girls. They did have some optionals, but they stopped or moved away. Right now they don't have enough money to afford lots of new stuff.

I am taking them to the gym this afternoon to work out from 3:30-7:00 again. They worked out on Monday, loved the coaches, bit had concerns with the facilities.

I will let y'all know how it goes!

With your additional information I would probably choose to stay at the current gym...doesn't sound like there is any ideal option. Were your daughters working with another coach at their gym? It seems like they are doing very well at the current gym.

Well I think that there are pros and cons of equal value to either decision. Personally if the coaching is better at the smaller gym that could be a decision maker for me. As i too feel a good coach is worth more than bigger facility and newer equipment.

I would also ask the girls what they think they want to do too because no matter how good the coach is if the girls don't want to be there then you might as well stay where you are.

Have you discussed your concerns with the owner of the current gym?

I would go to the smaller gym, form a booster club, and buy some beams and a spring floor with booster club funds.

If your DDs want to do level 8 they are being offered it, yes?

After working out a full practice last night we have decided to switch gyms. The coaches are great! The beam and floor can be improved, but they will be replaced soon.

They will be competing level 8 this season. I am on my way to the old gym to tell them that we are moving. So are 5 other girls from the optional team! :eek: A big shocker. I can imagine the owner won't be to happy.

Thanks for all the advice!!

After working out a full practice last night we have decided to switch gyms. The coaches are great! The beam and floor can be improved, but they will be replaced soon.

They will be competing level 8 this season. I am on my way to the old gym to tell them that we are moving. So are 5 other girls from the optional team! :eek: A big shocker. I can imagine the owner won't be to happy.

Thanks for all the advice!!

Well with 5 others leaving too that is huge and says alot about that program being less than the best. I think you are making the right choice and I hope things work out for you.

We have decided to switch to the new gym. The coaches are great and the girls are really sweet. Hopefully they will get some new beams and a pit, but for now my girls are happy with the way things are.

Thanks for the advice!

I would go to the smaller gym, form a booster club, and buy some beams and a spring floor with booster club funds.

If your DDs want to do level 8 they are being offered it, yes?

Nice thought, but it will take awhile to come up with enough $ for new beams and a floor and a 501c3 organization cannot buy equipment for a business.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back