Level four dismount

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nicci1999

Gymnast
Ok so I understand the concept of the level 3 dismount, it's no problem. Do a handstand, fall down to your feet. Now we started working level 4 beam dismount, and it's a similar concept, but for some reason I can't get the idea of the half turn down. It just doesn't seem to make any sense to me. I do the handstand, and then it's like my hands just can't move from that point. Any ideas on how to make this click? I realize I just started working it too, so that is part of the problem I'm sure, but I can't seem to make my hands do what my head tells them to

One thing that really helped me is to set a mat next to the low beam and do your side handstand then twist and land in a push-up position on the mat. Also when you kick up, kick up so your leaning slightly to the back (like you're about to fall over backwards) and that will help you to twist. Try to get in the mindset that you'll be twisting so your ready for it when you start to fall. That way you might not put quite as much weight on one hand.
Just a couple idea, they may not help at all but better then nothing!
Good luck!!

I think a lot of the scariness in the twist comes from a subconscious fear of landing on the beam. If you don't get to a good vertical handstand, twisting off makes it feel like you won't make it around. You could put a floor beam against the wall, and do a side handstand so that your stomach touches it, and it holds you in a vertical handstand. It will almost 'push' you over, and make you twist. The closer the beam is too the wall, the better your vertical handstand will be. Also, when you are kicking up into the handstand, reach your hands FAR! It honestly helps get to a good position to twist off from. Good luck! :)

ETA: If you do the drill I described with a mat on the side like Tallgymnast said, and go to your stomach on it, or to a pushup shape, you should get the feel of it quickly, and the feeling of not piking down out of it.

Last edited:
It's basically like doing a crooked roundoff (okay well, ideally you hit handstand when you get the hang of it, so not like a RO at all, but let's suspend disbelief for awhile). Just do a small roundoff off to the correct side of the beam (well, put a couple mats under there or use a low beam). Then, start picking up your second hand (i.e. i'm a righty, I pick up my left hand) when you're coming down. Then, start hitting handstand. You need to put your shoulders over the beam to shift your weight to the right side. Practice doing cartwheel to side handstand on the floor, then doing a forward roll out of it.

I taught myself the level 4 dismount when I was a kid and that is how I did it anyway.

Edit: also...that's not how I teach it, so don't get all horrified on me. But, for the purposes of the OP I think it might help.

I like the mat idea. I drew an arrow on my daughter's hand pointing to the direction where she was to land. That helped.

I had a group of aspiring 4s start with a floor beam & a handstand roll off to get the feel of the tipping over feeling. When they can do that, they tip & turn to pushup.

I can't really add to much to what has already been said, but make sure that you are getting your shoulders over the beam. Lots of girls I've coached who have had problems with this skill had trouble because they were taking the cartwheel up to the hs around the side instead of over the top- meaning their shoulders were over the "wrong" side of the beam (the side they did not want to end up on). Not sure if that made any sense.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back