Level Question-PLEASE READ!!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

HI! I GO TO A VERY SMALL LOCAL GYM AND MY COACH SAYS I AM A LEVEL 4 (IN BADGE TERMS) BUT I WAS WONDERING WHAT LEVEL I AM REALLY IN. I LIVE IN MANITOBA AND MY GYM IS APPART OF THE MANITOBA GYMNASTICS ASSOCIATION. HERE ARE A LIST OF THINGS I CAN DO:
BARS
PULLOVER
CLEAR HIP BACK CIRCLE
BACK CIRCLE
SOMETHING WHERE YOU START IN FRONT SUPPORT THE SWING OFF BACKWARDS AND PULL YOUR SELF INTO A PULLOVER
PULLUP PULLOVER
BEAM
DIPS,V-SIT(ALL THE EASY STUFF)
CAT-LEAP
CARTWHEEL OFF
CARTWHEEL
VAULT
STRADDLE ON+OVER
SQWAT ON+OVER
FRONT HANDSPRING(WITH HELP)
PREATTY MUCH ALL JUMPS OFF
FRONT FLIP OFF
FLOOR
FRONT+BACK WALKOVER(WITH HELP)
CARTWHEEL
ROUND OFF
CAN HOLD SPLITS(NOT ALL THE WAY THOUGH!):p
LOTS OF EXSERSIZES
:)
I AM NOT FLEXIBLE:rolleyes:

Canadian terms? Don't know--sounds like mostly level 4 USAG skills though. Can you do a handstand on the beam?

To be a USAG (United States) L4 gymnast, you would need:
Bars: A front hip circle, a shoot-through, and a forward stride (mill) circle. There is a dismount but it is easy (back-hip circle into an underswing...if you don't know what it is, your coach can explain it but don't worry if you can do a back-hip)

Beam: handstand, split leap, stretch-jump tuck-jump combo, cartwheel-handstand 1/4 turn dismount.

Vault: run, hurdle, to handstand on a squishy mat, fall to back with a straight body position. (this is also easy and you will get it no prob)

Floor: This is a problem. You barely have any L4 skills: round-off backhandspring, handstand-forward-roll, handstand to bridge-kickover, backward pike roll with straight arms.

However, you have a clear-hip circle (L6) and a cartwheel on beam (L5), which are higher level skills. If you keep working on your handspring on vault, I'll bet you could be a L5 pretty soon. You need kips on bars, forward and back handsprings on floor, a backwalkover with no help on floor, a back extention roll (I think these are pretty hard), and some of the aforementioned L4 skills (front-hip circle, handstand and dismount on beam).

Note: this is all US gymnastics. But I think the levels are fairly similar. Also, if you're not competing or competing a different system, then levels don't really matter - you should just listen to your coach. However, I understand that you want to know b/c it's easier to understand a lot of stuff on this board if you're a USAG gymnast with a level.

In Manitoba, which is part of Canada you would be presently using the Cangym programme, this is a recreational achievment system. If you wanted to compete I would put your skills at about Provincial level one. The skills for that are.

Vault - Handstand to flat back on a 125cm pile of mats using a spring board.
Bars - pullover, cast to bar height, squat on - swing to horizontal - long hang pullover on high bar - sole circle dismount
Beam - half turn on one foot followed by pivot on two feet - extention jump- tuck jump- handstand to within 10 degrees - straight jump with half turn - roundoff or handspring dismount
Floor - round off- cartwheel or walkover - handstand forward roll - split jump - two leaps/jumps linked - 2 or 3 element acro series - full turn on one foot

These skills can vary a bit by province, so here is the link to the full document, http://www.gymcan.org/site/files/documents/cpp_charts_en_-_final_july_2009.pdf

This level is similar to USAG L4, but has optional music and gymnasts have their own routines, not set ones like in the US.

definetly level 4. Your not ready for anything else. Do you have your ROBHS? If not, possibly even level 3. Hope this helps!!!!!!!! :huge:

well in australia anyway you sound like level 2/3 not sure about there but for level four in aus you need:

Floor:

Round off Backhandspring
Front handspring
full turn on one foot
jump full turn
backwalkover/frontwalkover/back extension roll to front support
leap series (180 deg)

Bars

2 glide swings
pullover
back hip circle
jump to high bar
long hang pullover
toe shoot dismount

Beam

Mount
Jump series (i think its split jump, wolf jump)
split leap
handstand
cartwheel/backwalkover/frontwalkover
punch jump dismount (may even be punch front)

Vault

Handspring flat back

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back