WAG Lice.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

There's a professional in our area too...calls herself the Lice Whisperer...and like Deleted member 18037 says, she's expensive (in the $500 range I believe) but some of our patients that have gone to her and swear by her. One mom even said when you figure out all you spend on products, more products, time doing it, time out of work because your kid is out of school (usually girls with the longer hair who are horrified to begin with) and the fact that you don't have to do it, it's well worth the money. And not covered by your health insurance (one mom had us try to put it through...)

We had lice once ...and my daughter had hair to her waist at the time...and I say, whatever works, use it. If the Lice Whisperer had been around then, I would have forked over the money in a heartbeat. The Cetaphil method mentioned a few posts ago also has a nice success rate, but as mentioned, requires an all in commitment to the method.

Oh wow that's expensive! We went to a place that just does lice/nit removal. Conditioner, lots of combing, and a 30 day guarantee. It was less than $300 for both my daughter and myself (and I have really thick hair.) I also looked at all the things online and decided by the time we hit something that worked, we'd be out tons of money and time. And there was no one in the house capable of combing my hair for me. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. There is lots of competition in the area so it must drive the price down.

I never had nits til I was in my 20's and working with children. When I was in school we had "Nitty Nora", a health nurse who would come to school about once a term and check everyone's hair. If she found you with them, oh the shame, you were sent home and not allowed back until you were "clean". Now the teachers cannot even mention it to the affected child or their family. Just a general note comes home.

If any of mine get them (except Pink who is allergic to shampoo and conditioner), its in the shower, shed loads of cheep conditioner, then nit comb through. If its me, then I turn the shower off, head upside down and comb it through myself.

Then repeat 4 days later, then 4 days after that, then 4 days after that, that should break the cycle. However if they keep getting infected you have to identify the source. Oh and I never let Pink go to school with her hair down.

Ugh, just found out we're up to the 7th case of lice at our gym (in 2 days.) HC is away and nothing has been done about it yet.... have another other gyms experienced this? Any tips to steer clear?
Yes, we had an out break last year. Lice like clean hair so since I heard of outbreak i only shampoo 1x/week on an off gym day and put hair in bun to make it harder for lice to transfer. Knock on anything. No lice and there have been breakouts at school as well. If u cant stomach the thought of dirty hair, tee tree oil is supposed to help repell.

Ugh, just found out we're up to the 7th case of lice at our gym (in 2 days.) HC is away and nothing has been done about it yet.... have another other gyms experienced this? Any tips to steer clear?
Yes we have experienced this, and my kids got it. First off, communicate with everyone, because everyone can get it! . This may sound odd, but we tried all the chemicals etc... and in the end we used mayo and wrapped heads with plastic wrap. Totally worked and no harsh chemicals. Hair was super soft after that, I must say....my hair was amazing.... :) We put it on before bed, and took it off in the morning. then ran a comb through to get any eggs. Wrapped all the bed sheets pillows, stuffed animals etc in a plastic bag for a few weeks, to be sure. That was it, mayo! Although you probably will not eat Mayo for a while after that.

Yes we have experienced this, and my kids got it. First off, communicate with everyone, because everyone can get it! . This may sound odd, but we tried all the chemicals etc... and in the end we used mayo and wrapped heads with plastic wrap. Totally worked and no harsh chemicals. Hair was super soft after that, I must say....my hair was amazing.... :) We put it on before bed, and took it off in the morning. then ran a comb through to get any eggs. Wrapped all the bed sheets pillows, stuffed animals etc in a plastic bag for a few weeks, to be sure. That was it, mayo! Although you probably will not eat Mayo for a while after that.
We actually used mayo on a family at the childcare. Obviously can't use chemicals without a doctor's order... But also can't risk exposing everyone else. The mom couldn't get off work to pick the kids up and had nobody that could get them. They were stuck. Treated all 4 of them with mayo, plastic wrap, then a skull cap to hide the plastic wrap.
When mom did get off work, we let her go home and strip all the beds and take the stuff to the laundry for a hot wash and dry ... She came and got the kids after getting the washers going.
The kids were back the next day, nit and bug free :)

Reactions: sce
We actually used mayo on a family at the childcare. Obviously can't use chemicals without a doctor's order... But also can't risk exposing everyone else. The mom couldn't get off work to pick the kids up and had nobody that could get them. They were stuck. Treated all 4 of them with mayo, plastic wrap, then a skull cap to hide the plastic wrap.
When mom did get off work, we let her go home and strip all the beds and take the stuff to the laundry for a hot wash and dry ... She came and got the kids after getting the washers going.
The kids were back the next day, nit and bug free :)
who would of thought such a simple solution. I am sure the makers of chemical treatments don't want people to know this as well.

Well, lice can only live on a human head. It will not live for more than a few seconds on the floor, mats, pit...whatever.

Make sure the gymnasts aren't sharing hairbrushes quickly after each other or taking selfies together (seriously)

If parents know their gymnasts have lice, don't allow them to come to practice until they're nit free.

Mint spray kills them, so maybe get some for the kids to use at the gym?

Other than that...not much else to do.

absolutely correct. they're being brought in to the gym.

It just seems to me like there are less risky options.
I would say it is age dependant... There is a huge difference between a two year old and a ten year old!
When my DD brought it home what worked for us was combing and then drying with a hair dryer (the heat kills them). Worked better than the chemical shampoo we tried first

Plastic on your head while sleeping is never a good idea. No matter your age............

NYDad yep there are much less risky options.

Lice problem seems to have ended... there were 3 more cases after I posted this but no new ones in the past few days!!! Thanks for all the tips I steered clear!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back