Parents Looking for suggestions for camera upgrade from Nikon D200

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mama Duck

Proud Parent
We are finding it harder and harder to get those really beautiful clear shots as our daughter's skills get more complicated and faster each year, not to mention the terrible lighting that is a given at meets. We currently have a Nikon D200 and a nice Nikon 70-200mm lens. We want to stay with a Nikon camera as we really like our lens and do not feel we need to upgrade that. Recommendations from you camera buffs out there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I can't tell you anything about the Nikon, but if I had an unlimited budget I would get the Canon Mark IV camera! I hear it is the holy grail of dslr cameras! I have also been told a little about the Sony NEX-7 so if anyone on here has used this camera I would love to hear how well it did in the every easy photography environment that is gymnastics!! ;)

Depends on your budget. If you are already invested in Nikon lenses I would suggest just upgrading your body. If you go to borrowlens.com you can rent camera bodies and see what works for you.

The D200 is not great at high ISO like more recent cameras. I have a D300 and it is MUCH better at high ISO than a 200. The D300S is even better. I now shoot with a D700 and rarely have problems at meets. Right now I'm planning an upgrade and looking towards a D800. But... that isn't cheap. You could probably pick up a D300 or D300S for a reasonable price (no idea specifically, I haven't priced them; but I'm guessing since they are both several years old). I think that there are also some "pro-sumer" levels cameras out now that handle the higher ISOs much better than the D200. I have never researched them; but one of the dads for our team uses one that I know is a cropped sensor and his images have been fine from all but the darkest meets. I think it is like a D7100 or something; but I really don't know. Another option would be a D600, which is a lower cost full frame.

I also shoot with a D700, and would recommend it. I know when it came out a lot of people upgraded from the D200, and were very pleased. Because it's no longer a new body, you can probably find them used for a decent price.

I also shoot with a D700, and would recommend it. I know when it came out a lot of people upgraded from the D200, and were very pleased. Because it's no longer a new body, you can probably find them used for a decent price.

We ended up buying a used D700. I can tell it is a great improvement over the D200 but we are still struggling a bit with finding the best settings. Can you please share what settings you have found to be the best in a typical dark gymnastics venue. Thank you!

Thanks...I am interested in this too. My photos need an upgrade now that DD is moving a lot faster!

When shooting action shots from a distance in poor lighting (just about every meet we have ever gone to), the most important is having a 2.8 lens (across all distances if you're buying a zoom). Unfortunately, they expensive. If you are doing stills, you can get away with a less expensive lens but with for action shots, you really need the 2.8.

As for settings, use the highest iso you can without grainy-ness

When shooting action shots from a distance in poor lighting (just about every meet we have ever gone to), the most important is having a 2.8 lens (across all distances if you're buying a zoom). Unfortunately, they expensive. If you are doing stills, you can get away with a less expensive lens but with for action shots, you really need the 2.8.

As for settings, use the highest iso you can without grainy-ness

Thanks. We do have that lens so I think once we figure out the camera we will be in pretty good shape.

I'm not sure of your experience shooting in general, but basically, in order to capture movement, I'd say to use a Shutter Speed (SS) of at least 1/250 so that nothing is blurred from motion. Because different buildings will have different lighting conditions, even if all of them use fluorescent lighting, light placement, building layout, distance from the lights, etc, will all play a part in what settings you need. For arguments sake, we'll say you need SS 1/250. I don't know what lens you're using, but I would probably not shoot below f/2.8 either. Things will become out of focus pretty quickly if your subject is nearby, and moving on a different plane. In order to keep your SS high enough, and your aperture stopped down enough, you'll need to make up that difference in the ISO. Luckily, if you are metering right on, not underexposing, then the D700 does a fine job at handling higher ISOs with little noise. You could comfortably shoot at an ISO of 2000, or even 3200, which should give you plenty of light in most gyms to still shoot at 1/250 or higher, and f/2.8 or smaller. When dealing with aperture, keep in mind smaller is actually a larger number.

I'm happy to answer more questions, and sorry if any of this is too watered down, or not enough, I'm just not sure of your experience!

I'm not sure of your experience shooting in general, but basically, in order to capture movement, I'd say to use a Shutter Speed (SS) of at least 1/250 so that nothing is blurred from motion. Because different buildings will have different lighting conditions, even if all of them use fluorescent lighting, light placement, building layout, distance from the lights, etc, will all play a part in what settings you need. For arguments sake, we'll say you need SS 1/250. I don't know what lens you're using, but I would probably not shoot below f/2.8 either. Things will become out of focus pretty quickly if your subject is nearby, and moving on a different plane. In order to keep your SS high enough, and your aperture stopped down enough, you'll need to make up that difference in the ISO. Luckily, if you are metering right on, not underexposing, then the D700 does a fine job at handling higher ISOs with little noise. You could comfortably shoot at an ISO of 2000, or even 3200, which should give you plenty of light in most gyms to still shoot at 1/250 or higher, and f/2.8 or smaller. When dealing with aperture, keep in mind smaller is actually a larger number.

I'm happy to answer more questions, and sorry if any of this is too watered down, or not enough, I'm just not sure of your experience!

Thanks! Our settings were pretty much what you suggested so I have a feeling that it was just a really dark setting. I was able to lighten them up so I did manage to get some keepers. Every meet presents a new challenge!

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a thorough response. I may in fact have some more questions for you after our next meet next weekend!

I was on my phone earlier. I agree with EmilyisOK pretty much. My ideal settings for a meet is no hight than 2000 for the ISO, 250 for my SS and 2.8 for my f stop. Unfortunately, some gyms are too dark for those settings. I have been fine bumping down to 200 for my SS if needed. If that doesn't do it than I bump ISO up to 3200. I don't go below 200 for the SS unless I'm prepared to just deal with some motion blur.

Some meets I have just come to the realization that there is just no way to get good pictures. There was one that I didn't even bother pulling my camera out for. It was just way, way, way too dark!

Keep in mind also, the smaller your subject in the frame, the more noisy it's going to appear, so if you fill the frame with your subject, you'll have better results, as all the details will be larger. I don't have a 70-200 sadly, but do have a super cheap 70-300 (I think I bought it used for $60...it was a steal) and the widest it opens is f/4 depending on the length I'm shooting. I used it at the last meet, at f/4 SS 1/360, and ISO 3200, there were 4 gymnasts in the photo, and it's still a decent enough shot. I won't post due to the faces in the photo, but the camera is definitely capable!

Wow what a useful thread. I have just got the nikon D7000 and the f2.8 lens so after reading all this I am excited for competitions to start so I can try it out

Wow what a useful thread. I have just got the nikon D7000 and the f2.8 lens so after reading all this I am excited for competitions to start so I can try it out

Maybe we should start a "Gymnastics Photography" group. Gymnastics has to be one of the most difficult things to photograph ... dark lighting, no flash, limited viewing options, and fast moving objects!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back