Parents Looking for suggestions for camera upgrade from Nikon D200

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The Nikon D3200 was just recommended to me, as I am in the market for a new camera as well. I love the idea of a photography group. Totally agree that gymnastics meets are the worst for photography. We just had a meet where the awards were in a room where the light was like a sick yellow!

I have the 2.8mm 70-200 VR lens. It is a beautiful lens. I originally purchased it to take pictures at horse shows (another difficult subject to capture). But I am still using my ancient D70, which does very poorly at any ISO above 400. I've been overdue for a new camera body, so this thread is very timely. And unlike the time of my original D70 purchase, there are now used dslr cameras to choose from! See my avatar. That was from the other side of the gym during a state meet. There's motion blur around the legs and feet. It was shot at 1/125, f2.8, ISO 1600. But with the D70 it was the best I could do.

I love this thread as I am a photo amateur!! Although I have a canon, I am still learning quite a bit from the responses! Lately, I've been shooting on f4 because that is the lowest it will go, and around ss1/125 and iso at 1600- highest it will go! My lens is a 55-250! Again, I am learning a lot from this thread and I would love to see a photo group too!!

I know far more about photography than I do gymnastics so a photo group sounds right up my alley, haha! While I'd love to have the 70-200, I shoot mostly with prime lenses, and they open up pretty wide, so if I'm not super far away, I will lean toward using those.

Right now my daughter is young, and just started competing, though. I'm sure as she progresses in the sport...I'll be looking at getting a 70-200. I have some great friends who would likely let me borrow, but equipment is something I never accept on, too much can go wrong with something that pricey.

Brilliant idea!:):D

I just checked out the Social Groups and it looks easy enough to create a new one. However, it shows all the current Social Groups as "Private".

Question to moderators - is there any reason that I should not create this as an "Open" group? Interested in hearing the pros and cons ... and any warnings you may want to share based on past experience. I am assuming that perhaps there is a good reason why all the existing groups are private.

Thanks.

A reason for a closed group would be if people might want to share photos that they don't want on the open board. You can set it where you have to have X number if posts in order to join, hopefully limiting the number of spammers that might be drawn to the group (selling stuff) or weirdos who don't actually have kids in gymnastics.

I personally would prefer a closed group for the exact reason stated - sharing photos. What better way to get / receive help with settings than to post a shot with details and ask for input...

I have the 2.8mm 70-200 VR lens. It is a beautiful lens. I originally purchased it to take pictures at horse shows (another difficult subject to capture). But I am still using my ancient D70, which does very poorly at any ISO above 400. I've been overdue for a new camera body, so this thread is very timely. And unlike the time of my original D70 purchase, there are now used dslr cameras to choose from! See my avatar. That was from the other side of the gym during a state meet. There's motion blur around the legs and feet. It was shot at 1/125, f2.8, ISO 1600. But with the D70 it was the best I could do.

oh wow! My first dSLR was a d70S and I hated to shoot over ISO 400 with that! You will see a world of difference if you get a new body. :D

A reason for a closed group would be if people might want to share photos that they don't want on the open board. You can set it where you have to have X number if posts in order to join, hopefully limiting the number of spammers that might be drawn to the group (selling stuff) or weirdos who don't actually have kids in gymnastics.

That make perfect sense! I was originally just taking into consideration the messages but it would be quite helpful to be able to share photos.

Just received my f2.8 70-200 lens in the post, so excited but definitely need help with settings etc after moving up from my very basic canon

I just set up a new Social Group for any and all things related to gymnastics photography. I set it up as a moderated group to provide a little more protection. Please join the group so we can share our collective experience ... or lack thereof!

I just set up a new Social Group for any and all things related to gymnastics photography. I set it up as a moderated group to provide a little more protection. Please join the group so we can share our collective experience ... or lack thereof!

I can't join :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back