Parents Looking for suggestions for camera upgrade from Nikon D200

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

oh wow! My first dSLR was a d70S and I hated to shoot over ISO 400 with that! You will see a world of difference if you get a new body. :D

I know! It's just a matter of priorities and budget. Now that gymmie is moving up to optional levels maybe there will be more incentive to upgrade the camera. Or maybe this one will finally die and I will be "forced" to upgrade.

I bought a d7000 this year but still need to get the 70-200 2.8 lens. In some gyms I am still getting decent shots with the kit zoom lens. I will try to rent the lens to try it out first. PS, can I join the group? It's not giving me the option to do so. Thanks! Great topic!

I know far more about photography than I do gymnastics so a photo group sounds right up my alley, haha! While I'd love to have the 70-200, I shoot mostly with prime lenses, and they open up pretty wide, so if I'm not super far away, I will lean toward using those.

Right now my daughter is young, and just started competing, though. I'm sure as she progresses in the sport...I'll be looking at getting a 70-200. I have some great friends who would likely let me borrow, but equipment is something I never accept on, too much can go wrong with something that pricey.

Prime lenses are great, and you can usually get faster ones for far less than a zoom (and optically they give better results). The problem you will run in to at meets is that not all the equipment is placed in a position where you can get a decent frame with a prime lens. So you will do a lot of moving around and possibly switching lenses between rotations. Zoom lenses are just so dang convenient!

Prime lenses are great, and you can usually get faster ones for far less than a zoom (and optically they give better results). The problem you will run in to at meets is that not all the equipment is placed in a position where you can get a decent frame with a prime lens. So you will do a lot of moving around and possibly switching lenses between rotations. Zoom lenses are just so dang convenient!
I went for a zoom for this very reason, but in hindsight, I wish I would have just bought a few different lenses. Would have been less expensive and the camera would be a lot lighter. My zoom my heavy! I was really worried about having to change the lenses so much but there is so much time between events that this is not a worry.

This thread is amazing, I've learnt so much.
I'm in the process of deciding on a camera upgrade from a low end Canon DSLR to... something else. I was thinking of the Canon 70D but am now hesitating as everyone seems to like the Nikons.
I was thinking of going with an 18-200 kit lens for the moment and then buying the 70-200 f2.8 recommended if and when DD starts competing in a years time.

I'd love to join the group too, but I've only just joined CB so I'll understand if I need to wait a while and prove that I'm not a weirdo :)

I sent a PM to you but if you could add me! I currently use a Canon D50 with a 70-200 2.8 lens. I also have a couple of prime lenses that we use if we are close enough to the action.

Oh all this I know, but I've been into photography for a good bit of time now...gym is relatively new to our family still. I will always prefer primes...maybe one day when I have lots of money, I'll go for a 200mm lens instead of the 70-200 ;)

This thread is amazing, I've learnt so much.
I'm in the process of deciding on a camera upgrade from a low end Canon DSLR to... something else. I was thinking of the Canon 70D but am now hesitating as everyone seems to like the Nikons.
I was thinking of going with an 18-200 kit lens for the moment and then buying the 70-200 f2.8 recommended if and when DD starts competing in a years time.

I'd love to join the group too, but I've only just joined CB so I'll understand if I need to wait a while and prove that I'm not a weirdo :)

I'll be honest, I wouldn't even bother with the 18 - 200. You won't be able to use it for gymnastics competitions or any other indoor stuff. It is OK for outdoor sports; but personally I'd take the money and buy a prime or two. :)

Reactions: COz
Can I please join the group too? I currently know nothing about photography but have long been contemplating the purchase of a DSLR for the express purpose of photographing my gymmie. Would love to learn more!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back