make-up/glitter

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lilgymmie7

I have a fairly young DD, 7. She has begged to wear make-up at practice to be like the big girls. At first, I was very much against it and didn't let her. However, I have found kiddie make-up that is more like a touch of glitter on the face. She loves it and almost bathes in it before practice. She has asked if she could wear it at competitions, but I don't know. We have also contemplated re-piercing her ears. (She took them out a total of 3 times before I just gave up!) Are gymnasts allowed to wear face glitter and earings at meets?

I know the earrings are OK as long as they are studs. At DD's gym, the compulsory girls are not allowed to wear anything on their faces (glitter, etc) but I have seen girls at other gyms wearing a small tattoo on their cheeks.

At our gym, the girls wear glitter in their hair and some wear glitter eye shadow and nothing on their checks or lips. They can wear studs.

My dd competes in what is considered a "more relaxed less strict" league and even their rules forbid make-up, hair glitter, jewelry and nail polish. My advice is to stay away from the make-up as long as you can. Yes dd wants to "be like the big girls" but she is only 7 and should continue to act like a 7YO. Believe me, there is plenty of time to get into all that make-up and big girl stuff later. My dd isn't allowed to wear make-up until she is 14 and in high school (my rule). You have to put your foot down and be firm now because what will they have to look forward to later when they have "done everything" by the time they are 10? Hang in there mom!!!

Pretty much the same here. Our head coach outlawed makeup, earrings and nail polish. He was going to outlaw glitter, too, but the co head coach said hair glitter was fine...gotta let them be girls!!
One young (8yr old) showed up at a meet with bright blue eyeshadow on...it was VERY distracting, and kindof creepy. It looked like stage make up for a dance recital, only, they weren't on stage underneath bright lights. It was def. over the top and too much-I think that's where the no makeup rule came from. I think the hs girls are allowed to wear make up, but only everyday make up-not stage make up.

My DD wears studs and no make up she says it just gets in her eyes when she sweats anyway so why bother. She has done hair glitter in the past.

In the past, my daughter was allowed to hair glitter but nothing on the face. We stopped doing even that when we discovered that the glitter wouldn't come off her scalp easily. We tried shampooing multiple times and still had glitter. It also made her head very itchy. Even she didn't want to use it any longer.

My daughter does have pierced ears. She generally wears a small pair of studs for competition. My rule on ear piercings was that they had to be old enough to understand the responsibility for taking care of their ears and agree to clean them under my supervision. Both of my girls waited until they were ready. I never had to fight with them about cleanings or not playing with their ears.

Thank you all for your responses. I feel the same way about the hair glitter. It gets everywhere!! The 'glitter' make-up is really just clear, without color. I grew up in a household where everything was outlawed. I don't want to do that with my kids. Of course I would never let her wear 'hussy' type makeup," blue eye shadow" OOPS! But a touch of glitter is okay. I also am hispanic, and in our culture, well at least my family, we pierce the ears of our baby girls. It's just what we do. Well, she wasn't having it and she pulled them out herself. She is beginning to talk about wanting to have them again. But because of our past experience, I won't if she can not wear at least a stud at meets.

Per USAG rules, girls can wear one stud earring in each ear during meets. There are no official rules on makeup, hair glitter, ext., but as a judge, I'd sure rather see kids who look like kids (but I'm not going to and can't deduct for them wearing makeup). The younger girls at the gym I coached at loved the hair glitter. Most of them went through a glitter obsessed phase for a year or two, and then outgrew it. If it is okay with the coaches, whatever, but it gets everywhere! Some of the older girls (teenagers) wore natural makeup, the same they would wear everyday to school.

At Pickle's gym, the girls can use hair glitter, but that's it.

The idea is for the girls to present a very clean, sleek look.

DD's gym the rule is no makeup, no jewellery (except for one pair of studs) no nail polish - even for the teenagers on team. Hair glitter is allowed.

I think the difference is athletic vs show

I have girls who dance and do gym, I LOVE getting them ready for gym, soo easy, leotard on, hair up, way you go. Plus dance is showy and makeup is a must on stage, gymnastics is strong athletic and powerful, so I personally don't think makeup suits the sport. I have no prob with light street makeup on older girls, and small stud earrings, and a wee bit of glitter or some nice matching ribbons for the little ones is nice.

FOr gym it was strictly business, no make up, certainly no glitter. That glitter gets on everything and the coaches do not like glitter all over the floor and in the chalk.

For meets I woiuld let them wear a little glitter for meets, no make up for the little ones though. But when my oldest was in her teens, eyeliner, mascara and a little eye sparkle was okay with me.

MY girls were never allowed to wear any make up outside the house until high school, 12 years old here, I just think it is too mucg. THe youngest loves make up and has been playing with it at home for years.

I think it's all just a matter of personal preference- both yours and the gym owners. USAG doesn't have any guidelines against glitter or make-up, but some gyms or coaches do. I am, and always have been, a huge glitter girl so I would wear glitter hairspray to meets and maybe some of the cheek glitter with a clear base like lilgymnast7 mentioned when I was younger just because it was special and fun. I didn't know what the heck I was doing with make-up, actually I'm still pretty clueless, so that really wasn't a big deal when I was competing. I would definitely say no to "real" make-up for a little one, but glitter for a special occasion can be fun and add to the excitement.

I think it's interesting, when you go to meets, you see all of the complicated hair styles. While I have no clue how to do them myself, I have a friend who has done some complicated "do's" on my DD. But then, watching the visa championships, it's all just basic ponytails... no fancier than what my DD wears to her everyday practices. I think this year it's time to simplify... pony or bun! Trying to get a jillion teeny rubber bands out of my exhuasted daughter's hair, that have been plastered to her head with glitter spray, at midnight after a very LONG day, is not my idea of fun.

Mary, I am so glad that DD's gym just asks for a bun. It took me quite a while to figure that one out-don't think I would've ever gotten the more complicated ones. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back