WAG Maybe a silly leo question?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I see it as a matter of respect. If you owned a business, how would you like your customers wearing your competitors 'colors'? It just seems disrespectful to me. Having said that, I don't and won't make a big deal out of it. If girls come from another club and wear that leo, I'm not going to say anything about it. Also, all my team girls wear the same workout leos, so that pretty much takes care of that problem. Put yourself in the owners shoes and do what you think is right. I did like what Faith said as well. Good luck.

She's 4 and wants to wear her pretty leo....if adult coaches at her current gym hold this against her, you have bigger issues going on there....
Honestly, because she's so little I'd let her wear it. If she was a lot older I'd see it differently.

What if it was a leotard that says Chows or Texas Dreams that a family member got them because they know it is a big name gym?
I'm sure there are lots of little ones that wear them in this situation...unless of course the go to somewhere like WOGA ;-). But attending an "everyday" type of gym I would think would be fine IMO

Last edited:
Shes 4, I don't see a problem with it. I could see if she was an older team gymnast and the gyms were rivals or something then it might be a bit weird. I think this is different though. My DD has a couple practice team leos with the gym name from NY on them, she will probably still wear them down here in TX.

Reactions: sce
When my daughter switched gyms she has 2 tank competition Leo's and 4 tank practice Leo's from the old gym. They were all expensive and she wore them all to the new gym. They were not marked with the gyms name, though. I wouldn't let her wear her old warmup.

We just moved from FL to CA and I still let DD (7 year old level 3) wear old gyms Leo's. They still fit her and I paid for them. I'm trying to get her to wear her old comp leo to practice because she only got to wear it 6 times and I think it's just so darn cute on her. But she says it's "too itchy" :)

We are across the country from the old gym so I don't think there are any rivalry issues but I remember reading a post on here a while back where a gym owner stated they didn't mind at all if their girls wore a rival team's stuff. That gym owner said they saw it as good advertisement for their gym, ie "so and so use to go to gym A, but she left gym A to come here"

My daughter wears a comp leotard from her old gym. It was given to her when it was long since retired as club uniform at her old gym; she never actually competed in the leo or even one like it. It is pretty and fits her well.

Given that it is far from current and would only be recognised by a few coaches and parents who have spent a long time on the circuit, it hasn't occurred to me to fret about it. The more recent ones from her old gym and anything with their name on it, I would not dream of allowing her to wear. My daughter is older than yours though and understands the subtleties of the situation.

This whole thing seems a bit odd to me, but I have boys ;) Boys will actually trade singlets at camp...and get a cool new singlet to wear. D even traded with a friend at an instate gym just so they could have new stuff. Never even though twice about it until now.

I see it as a matter of respect. If you owned a business, how would you like your customers wearing your competitors 'colors'? It just seems disrespectful to me. Having said that, I don't and won't make a big deal out of it. If girls come from another club and wear that leo, I'm not going to say anything about it. Also, all my team girls wear the same workout leos, so that pretty much takes care of that problem. Put yourself in the owners shoes and do what you think is right. I did like what Faith said as well. Good luck.
Honestly, and I promise I'm not just saying this to be otherwise, if I was a gym owner I don't think I'd care if a gymnast was wearing another club's gear - the gymnast is with ME now so obviously that's where they want to be. And if they want to go somewhere else...well, then they should go there! Having said that, I understand that I'm not typical when it comes to taking offense. And I'm also really new in this gymnastics game so I accept that my opinion could change with experience.

At four, I say let her wear the darn leo. It'll only fit for a few more months anyways, and like she said, it's sparkly. If she was 14 and on team and attending a training camp, I'd say it was distasteful.

As a coach, if you came from another gym and decided on our gym, that's good enough for me. I also know parents are spending plenty of money on gymnastics. If the leo fits, let it be used until it doesn't.

What if it was a leotard that says Chows or Texas Dreams that a family member got them because they know it is a big name gym?

I'm curious about this too. I know in cheerleading it's pretty common to buy from the big name gym's pro shops (Top Gun, Cali, CA, etc,.) but I've never seen it in gymnastics.

Mine wears hers to the new gym. We moved across the country to he here. They are not team leos though - one is the printed on design and the other is the name spelled in crystals. It's also a verb that could be seen as inspirational.

Reactions: sce
Quick question piggy backing on the post..... what if the leotard was from a gymnastics camp (like Flip Fest)? Would that be considered acceptable to wear to practice?

This is a 4 year old. Agree it's different if it's an older kid on team. I have seen kids wear leotards from Bela karolyi's camp, and I didn't think twice about it. I would think a leotard from flip fest would be totally fine. Or any other type of camp situation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back