WAG Mihai Brestyan leaving for Australia?!?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We've gotten quite a few girls from there over the last two years, and the gym has already gotten a few calls. The compulsory levels in particular have had some coaching turnover, so that may have more to do with it than Mihai leaving, but I do know some people who thought that their daughters should stick it out even if they weren't happy due to the hope of one day working with him.
Probably, as Bookworm said earlier, not going to be a flood of gymnasts leaving. I asked at our MetroWest Boston-area gym if they've been getting calls and got a laughing "No, that program is well in place and most kids will stay put," response.

We've gotten quite a few girls from there over the last two years, and the gym has already gotten a few calls. The compulsory levels in particular have had some coaching turnover, so that may have more to do with it than Mihai leaving, but I do know some people who thought that their daughters should stick it out even if they weren't happy due to the hope of one day working with him.

The funny thing is that Mihai's gym doesn't tend to have a ton of kids who "stick it out with the hopes of working with him" until Level 10 and beyond....a lot of his upper level gymnasts (and Aly is a great example) come to that gym at Level 8 or beyond...rare is the kid that goes from level 4 and stays there for the duration. I think that has more to do with the intensity of his program as he does a lot of numbers and with that, you see a lot of injuries that some kids do fine with and continue in gymnastics, and others decide to move on to other sports.

Probably, as Bookworm said earlier, not going to be a flood of gymnasts leaving. I asked at our MetroWest Boston-area gym if they've been getting calls and got a laughing "No, that program is well in place and most kids will stay put," response.

well, we've gotten calls and emails from what i've heard. i don't know how many. but enough to cause a small stir. i'll be curious to see how many kids we have trying out at our gym once try out season opens up. we're not really in that area so there may be parents who are closer to our gym that decided with him leaving, it's time to move to a closer gym.

Great, just in time for us to start trying to find a gym for my DD down that way in preparation for our move to MA. Argh!

we're south shore. that's on the other side of boston for us and a nightmare in traffic from them to us during rush hour peak. there's enough gyms on the north/west side of boston/closer to Brestyans that if any move, they could absorb them easily. so my theory still holds that some parents who live closer to our gym may be looking to move due to his leaving. if he was why they were sticking it out and he's leaving, why do that commute? i wouldn't have done it with him there!

we're south shore. that's on the other side of boston for us and a nightmare in traffic from them to us during rush hour peak. there's enough gyms on the north/west side of boston/closer to Brestyans that if any move, they could absorb them easily. so my theory still holds that some parents who live closer to our gym may be looking to move due to his leaving. if he was why they were sticking it out and he's leaving, why do that commute? i wouldn't have done it with him there!

Yeah, we'll be west/southwest....still not great but not out of the realm of possibility for folks who may have been travelling there. Oh well, not much I can do about it at this point!

The funny thing is that Mihai's gym doesn't tend to have a ton of kids who "stick it out with the hopes of working with him" until Level 10 and beyond....a lot of his upper level gymnasts (and Aly is a great example) come to that gym at Level 8 or beyond...rare is the kid that goes from level 4 and stays there for the duration. I think that has more to do with the intensity of his program as he does a lot of numbers and with that, you see a lot of injuries that some kids do fine with and continue in gymnastics, and others decide to move on to other sports.
By "stick it out" I mean kids that started in rec there and are now unhappy by level 3/4, kinda don't love it, but parents are pushing because they think their kids will only succeed there. Some of them left last year, some have quit altogether, and a few others I know are still there, depending on how crazy the parents are ;)

The two upper level optionals that I know went there at levels 7 and 8, and are currently happy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back