Parents Missing beam elements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I thought that meant a beat jump? That’s an A skill, right?
i thought so, but i dont have the JO code here... and one time i heard a judge say something about it, but i cant remember.
I know in Xcel it is fine on beam (just not on floor).
Maybe my brain is just fried.
LOL, maybe they thought the beat jump was supposed to be a switch split???

The bwos were connected was one of the good critiques judges gave...
Only other scenario I can come up with for a 9.1 SV with skills listed is her leap was so small, she didn't get credit for the 180 special requirement and wasn't even big enough to count as a value part, must be at least 135 to get credit as a value part. That would put her missing a B, an A and a SR.

Only other scenario I can come up with for a 9.1 SV with skills listed is her leap was so small, she didn't get credit for the 180 special requirement and wasn't even big enough to count as a value part, must be at least 135 to get credit as a value part. That would put her missing a B, an A and a SR.
Have to take this back. Even if she didn't get credit for leap, she still has 5 A's and 1 B. If she got credit for the series, I am stumped by the 9.1 SV

I thought that meant a beat jump? That’s an A skill, right?
i thought so, but i dont have the JO code here... and one time i heard a judge say something about it, but i cant remember.
I know in Xcel it is fine on beam (just not on floor).
Maybe my brain is just fried.
LOL, maybe they thought the beat jump was supposed to be a switch split???

Most likely the split was too low. If this is correct, she had a perfect score except for the missing items, because .5+.3+.1=.9, and she got a 9.1 Something is not right here. The score should probably have been lower. If she had a low leap, she also gets the -.2 deduction for that, and if she didn't get her connection, she also gets -.2 for that. Her maximum score should have been an 8.9 with the missing parts plus the .2 deduction in one of those places. But that's just me.
Her score was way low the start value was 9.1, which with your calculations make sense. Since no one recorded we are trying to figure out what elements were out or missed.

Beat/flutter jump is an A. Is it possible that she somehow did not get credit for her dismount? Any falls in the routine, and if so, where? I am still puzzling over the missing A unless she did not do a recognized mount.

The missing SR was almost certainly the leap in the scenario described above by Wandrewsjr.

Last edited:
I thought 9.1 was the start value, not the score.
Hmmm, I read it quickly, then someone else commented that 9.1 was impressive with those missing parts, and I put them together. I'd delete my comment now, but you know I can't--its too late. Thanks for setting it straight.

Beat/flutter jump is an A. Is it possible that she somehow did not get credit for her dismount? Any falls in the routine, and if so, where? I am still puzzling over the missing A unless she did not do a recognized mount.

The missing SR was almost certainly the leap in the scenario described above by Wandrewsjr.
Thx on clarification on jump...her dismount is a front tuck which I think she just tucked off

Well, that's an A. Is it possible she is not doing a mount that's getting A credit? Everyone else jump in here, but even without the leap, I am seeing enough As if the mount is an A:

mount
split leap (assume no A credit)
full turn
BWO x2 (or is this the problem -- she only gets to count one, maybe??)
flutter jump
dismount

Sorry, but I am not an expert on the finer points of L7 and the mystery is tugging at me!

Ok this is my kids 7 beam skills

Straddle mount
Leap
Split jump
BHS (when connection changes this will go)
Full turn
3/4 jump
BWO-BWO (will be going to BWO-BHS, I think I never remember the order)
CW-BT dismount- will also be changing I have no idea

Not sure if this helps anyone puzzling. I know what some of the A skills are and some of the Bs but not all. I just don't worry about that stuff.

That was similar to my daughter's L7 beam routine but for her, they took out the leap and had her do the beat jump instead. Fewer deductions. The above routine is a calculated strategy to ensure that the Bs add up even if the split jump gets downgraded, because the 3/4 jump is a B.

(My kids are both pretty analytical, so they want to understand routine construction and they like explaining it to me.)

That was similar to my daughter's L7 beam routine but for her, they took out the leap and had her do the beat jump instead. Fewer deductions. The above routine is a calculated strategy to ensure that the Bs add up even if the split jump gets downgraded, because the 3/4 jump is a B.

(My kids are both pretty analytical, so they want to understand routine construction and they like explaining it to me.)
That is my understanding as well for exactly that reason, my kids in air/splits are the weakest link. I don't know much but I get that :). I expect it to cause a significant hit on her score, it is what it is.

If that's an issue, I'm surprised that they have two in her routine. It's just asking for unnecessary deductions. But perhaps they have other things in mind.

Just consider yourself lucky if you don't have a "oh, maybe I didn't get credit for that so I will throw this random thing in on the fly to cover it" kid.

Well, that's an A. Is it possible she is not doing a mount that's getting A credit? Everyone else jump in here, but even without the leap, I am seeing enough As if the mount is an A:

mount
split leap (assume no A credit)
full turn
BWO x2 (or is this the problem -- she only gets to count one, maybe??)
flutter jump
dismount

Sorry, but I am not an expert on the finer points of L7 and the mystery is tugging at me!
Still has 5 A’s even without the mount. Can count both BWO’s as long as connected, I am stumped about missing A if they connected the series.

Ok because I am a dope. So the connection is a separate thing from the skills.

So whatever they have as part of the connection counts as a skill then its credit for the connection separately.

So BWO-BWO is 2 As plus connection

BWO-BHS is an A and B plus connection.

BHS-BSH would be 2 Bs and a connection

Is this finally sinking in for me?

From the cheat sheet, here are the special requirements:

Acro series with a minimum of 2 As or Bs, with or without flight, and AND one acro flight element (can be in the series or isolated) -- all acros used to fulfill special requirements must start and finish on the beam
One 180 cross or side split jump/leap
Minimum 360 turn on one foot
Minimum A aerial or salto dismount

A SR can be lost if the acro is not connected. That's the most common way to lose it. L7 needs 5 A skills and 2 Bs.

Full turn, split leap, flutter jump, bwo bwo, bhs, front tuck dismount

Because I'm now into the puzzling thing. Again, I know next to nearly nothing.

But in thinking about my kids 6 vs 7 routine.

Is there something required to lead into the dismount? So is it a BHS to dismount or BHS separate from the dismount? And could that be it.

my kids 6 had no CW to BT, just steps to BT
Her 7 has the CW to BT

And if that leap is not 180 they lose credit???

Ok because I am a dope. So the connection is a separate thing from the skills.

So whatever they have as part of the connection counts as a skill then its credit for the connection separately.

So BWO-BWO is 2 As plus connection

BWO-BHS is an A and B plus connection.

BHS-BSH would be 2 Bs and a connection

Is this finally sinking in for me?
Yes, the rule is same element can be counted as a value part twice in a routine as long as performed in a different connection. Either together or connected to other elements(i.e. Could do straddle jump/split jump and then Straddle jump/back tuck). An element performed a third time never gets credit. Gymnasts sometimes run into this when re-attempting a series - BWO, stop, walk forward, BWO/BWO connected. The 3rd BWO does not count as a value part, so cannot be used to get credit for a series.

We go through the routine essentially 3 times. 1 - Count all the value parts, A, B, C etc. to see they have enough for level. 2 - see all special requirements for the level are met. 3 - add all deductions taken. Then another step is added at level 9/10, adding in bonus for connecting certain value parts.

The first 2 steps(and bonus at 9/10) give us the start value, then subtract deductions to get final score.

Because I'm now into the puzzling thing. Again, I know next to nearly nothing.

But in thinking about my kids 6 vs 7 routine.

Is there something required to lead into the dismount? So is it a BHS to dismount or BHS separate from the dismount? And could that be it.

my kids 6 had no CW to BT, just steps to BT
Her 7 has the CW to BT

And if that leap is not 180 they lose credit???
No connection required to get credit for dismount at any level.

All split leaps/jumps are expected to reach 180. They must be within 45 degrees to get credit as an element(so 135) and receive up to 0.2 execution deduction for insufficient split if between 135-179.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back