WAG Moving Gyms - Pros & Cons

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

One of the full time coaches at our gym left and has gone to a brand new gym. The coach that left has had a huge impact on my daughter's gymnastics career. She had am awesome relationship with all of the gymnasts and knew how to work with their individual personalities. I have weighed the pros & cons of each gym and their programs. Our existing gym has survived many ups and downs, but I am not happy with the way things have been going this summer. One major complaint with our current gym; is rotations/grouping and what coaches are working with my daughter. The head coach has two daughters who also coach. The one has decent experience and works well with the girls; however, the second is very soft spoken and doesn't know how to use her authority properly with the girls. I have seen her during two different practices and have not been pleased. But with the head coach being her mother and the gym's owner basically letting the head coach rule how could I possibly express my concerns? This has been a very hard decision, but recent actions by the gym owner are making it a bit easier. He has dismissed gymnasts for looking at and working out at the new gym. He wouldn't even let the families discuss things with him. He is not happy the coach left, but did nothing to make her want to stay either so why take things out on the girls? I would love to eb able to wait out the summer and see how things fall into place this fall, but I dont think that is in my daughter's best interest since they havent even started working on any of the new routines.:confused:

I would encourage you to speak to the owner about your concerns. If the Full time coach recently left, it may be that the coaching for the summer is what they are able to have available on short notice and they may be planning on changing things for fall. As far as your concern about not starting training routines I would not be concerned about that as long as they are working on the acro and dance skills in the routines. It is very common to not start actual routines until late summer or even fall (unless your competition season is an August-December season). It might be that even after you talk to the owner and discuss your concerns that you still decide to leave, but the owner can't address it if he is not even made aware of it. At this point you have nothing to lose by discussing your concerns and the possibility of resolving issues. And, it is not uncommon for owners/coaches to have a policy that if gymnasts try out somewhere else that they are not welcome to return....not saying I agree with it, just that it is a common thing. I do feel for you though- these situations are not easy!

From what you've said, should you switch gyms it is unlikely your current gym owners will take you back should it not work out at the old gym. As such, I would think this whole thing through. From your post however, it is difficult to make a suggestion to switch or stay put. Remember all gyms have their shortcomings. There is always something you will be unhappy about.

Here are my pros & cons for both gyms:
New gym:
· Owner is also a coach- pro
· Consistency in coaching - pro
· Stacy – dance background - pro
· Smaller gym more attention - pro
· Co-op area, dance room - pro
· Start learning new routines right away pro
· Firm level 3 - pro
· More gym time - pro
· Less per month – pro
· New leo $ - Con
· New warm-up – con
· New gym, could fail - con

Current Gyn
· Owner rarely on gym floor - con
· Inconsistency in coaching - con
· No coaches with dance exp- con
· No timeframe on when will learn routines - con
· No levels defined yet – con
· Team size in general – con
· Coach to kid ratio - con
· Established gym for 25 years – pro
· No leo or warmup change – pro
· Booster Club – pro/con
· Been at gym long time - pro

I would attempt to email/schedule a short appointment/call/talk with your HC and/or owner. If they will not talk to you, goodbye.

If what they tell you is blah, blah, blah neither positive or negative; I would then contact the new gym. Tell them about the old gym's policy. Try to talk/email about any and all concerns. Know your options.

At first I would go to the new gym without your kid. Skipping a normal practice to take her to the other gym could be seen as suspicious. If your kid is know to spill things, don't tell her until you are ready to see about taking her to new gym/old coach.

I have a conference set already. Not sure who it will be with as the hc has just started to work with dd and her regular coaches have only done some of the conferences. I have addressed some concerns with the owner & haven't seen any changes just excuses relayed frim other conferences. Letting dd workout at new gym to see diff but she can be quiet.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I have a conference set already. Not sure who it will be with as the hc has just started to work with dd and her regular coaches have only done some of the conferences. I have addressed some concerns with the owner & haven't seen any changes just excuses relayed frim other conferences. Letting dd workout at new gym to see diff but she can be quiet.
--

Puts you child in a really strained and odd situation doesn't it? What if the coach asks (and they will), "where were you yesterday", or "I heard from so and so that you were working out at X gym" (which they will), is your DD expected to lie at that point? just curious...

Tough situation. I like to see ownership positions held, at least in part, by a coach. I have a feeling the "family plan" coaching staff will stay the same for the foreseable future. That make one big pro for the new gym, and one big con for the old gym.

She knows she is not allowed to discuss it. She isn't missing her regular practice do they have no reason to ask. Many compulsory parents are looking at the new gym. Some optionals have already moved along with several of the comp levels.

take the coach that moved out of the equation. Just look at the programs. If that coach were never at the old gym would you still be looking for a new gym? If you answer yes then its time to move if you answered no then why move? Take into account what your DD wants too. Is she happy and thriving at old gym even if you don't especially like how they are doing things. I know our gym has plenty of time to get the routines - our gym spends most of June and July working the basics and conditioning then Aug, Sept, Oct and most of Nov work the routines for a meet season starting just before thanksgiving and ending in April or May. 3 and a half months is plenty of time to get the routines down. The summer months our gym usually works many of the basic skills they will use in the routines. Also with the NEW Levels out there many of the gyms are changing how they do things to meet the new skills especially the higher concentration of Dance moves.

Good advice GymBee. Also, I would add that in looking at your list of pros/cons, I would take out of the equation the ones that will not matter by next year. If your daughter is just now doing L3 you have many years ahead (if she stays in the sport) and you will want to make sure the decision you make is a good one for not just this competition season, but down the road as well. If your only reason for feeling rushed to make the decision right now is the fact that your gym hasn't started doing the routines I would not rush your decision based on this.

DD is by no means performing at her best. DD is at the level she is at because of a good coach. It is not all about the routines as they have not even worked on any dance or acro for new routines. I have seen minimal new skills introduced during practice. If you read all my posts you can see I have many concerns. If we move I want it to be Aug 1 so she is with same girls she will be going to competition with. The overall attitude at our existing gym is a major concern as well as coaching ability. My dd is not working with coaches she did during the season who know her ability. DD's happiness is a major component as well! I have been weighing all my pros & cons.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back