Parents Multiple Disciplines

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

xrachx

Coach
Proud Parent
Does anyone have any examples of their DD/DS successfully competing in both artistic gymnastics and another discipline (eg trampolining, acro etc)?

Depends on the level. Until last week Pink was training / competing both artistic and acro, however they both need more commitment than "part time" will get you. She reluctantly made the decision to drop Acro and concentrate on the artistic for now. There is a girl at her club doing about 12 hours in each, but really, for lower levels thats a bit mental.

DD is going regional NDP pathway but OOA, so no heavy commitment on hours. Possibility to go NDP route trampolining too, also low hours and not clashing with gym training times either.

My main concerns are injury, conflicting styles, and conflicting dates for comps!

Yep, Pink got put in "squad 2" for Acro as she couldn't commit if there was a clash, plus with acro you don't just miss but let your partners down too. I know a few local girls that Tramp too. Pink is looking to do National OOA so had to reluctantly make the commitment, but her acro coach told her to come back when she is done with WAG. Thing is acro and Tramp have a much longer "shelf life" than WAG so if she can do both she has a route to go when she retires from WAG

Thing is acro and Tramp have a much longer "shelf life" than WAG so if she can do both she has a route to go when she retires from WAG

That's my thinking too, I know that there will be a point DD cannot go any further with competitive WAG, most likely due to fears/missing skills. And knowing DD, quitting gym outright would never happen either as she loves it so much.

Good to know someone has managed it though, just hoping both sets of coaches will be OK with it if it goes ahead! :)

My youngest recently started an Acro class as well as continuing in competitive gymnastics, the Acro class is for fun and to give her more confidence on Acro floor skills, we are not interested in Acro/Dance competitions but might be open to Acro Grades/Levels (I think through Acro exams), we know nothing about Acrobatic arts and exams etc.

Our daughter competed Artistic and Rhythmic until she started optionals and then had to drop Rhythmic. She was able to do well with both, usually getting to state in Artistic and usually placing in something, and placed 5 AA in Rhythmic Nationals.

My youngest recently started an Acro class as well as continuing in competitive gymnastics, the Acro class is for fun and to give her more confidence on Acro floor skills, we are not interested in Acro/Dance competitions but might be open to Acro Grades/Levels (I think through Acro exams), we know nothing about Acrobatic arts and exams etc.
There is a big difference between Acro dance and Acro gymnastics (sport Acro/grades). They aren't the same things at all.

All of mine have done more than 1 gymnastics discipline but eventually the hours mean something as to give.

Dd didn't do both at the same time but swapped from artistic to acro - I was amazed by how much she had to be 'de-artistic-ed' when she moved across. Hands , presenting, tumbling, finishes never mind the having to stop throwing yourself and rely on the bases. Even timewise aside (is doing 15 hours acro, was doing 18 hours artistic) I can't see that she would have been able to do both successfully at the same time.

There is a boy at my girls' gym that does both artistic and t&t team right now, and a girl who is on the rhythmic and t&t team and on an artistic preteam. That girl is 6 and also figure skates and I actually have NO idea how there are enough hours in the day/ days in the week.

Even mixing rhythmic and t&t, as my ODD is doing, the hours creep up. The rhythmic team at their gym trains 13 hours a week and the t&t team trains 7-10. My DD does 10 hrs of rhythmic and is supposed to do an hour of t&t, but functionally she's been doing about 8-10 hours a week of t&t on top of rhythmic, where she sometimes does the full 13, and then you add in her private each week for artistic and her ballet class and she's right back to artistic optionals hours- some kids thrive on packed schedules.

That being said, one of the biggest impediments that I could see is both gyms (coaches even, if the programs are in the same gym) allowing it. Often coaches do not want to share their athletes and do not want to share control of how they are trained.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back