WAG Mustafina vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stargazer

Gymnast
Maybe a silly question, but why do we always call this vault the 'Mustafina' (round off flic entry 1/2 twist onto the vault, 1 1/2 twists off layed out position) if in the Code of Points it's listed under Cheng Fei's name?

Maybe a silly question, but why do we always call this vault the 'Mustafina' (round off flic entry 1/2 twist onto the vault, 1 1/2 twists off layed out position) if in the Code of Points it's listed under Cheng Fei's name?

I believe the Mustafina is a half on, full off, not a 1 1/2(which is named after Cheng)

Don't think she ever performed that specific vault at a World's or Olympics, which is the criteria for getting a skill named after a gymnast.

So why on earth do we call it a Mustafina vault then? Just because she does it the often and executes it well?

Ok, searched my memory a little more. She did perform it at 2010 worlds, but I think she did not hold the layout position, so it was downgraded by the jduges to a pike, which is a different vault. I think she had performed it successfully in other previous competitions, though, which led much of the gymnastics community to refer to the vault with her name. But she didn't officially do the vault at world's or Olympics, so not named after her in the code.

Hmm I just thought of something else. If McKayla Maroney hadn't sat down that vault during the Olympics, could it have been named after her?

Pretty sure others had competed the same vault prior to her total, well nearly, domination of the vault.

I agree, especially on the domination part! I guess no one has offically tried to get it named after them then?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back