Parents need information

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

newmom

Proud Parent
My 5 year old just started and at first she would do the pull over on the bars. She ended up in a group one day with 3 girls that was scared to do it and she decided not to do it either. Now she won't do the pull over, but will do the pull up and a straddle on it. Just wondering if she will get over it eventually. Now she is in a class with kids that will do it.

Yes, she'll get over it. And this will happen many, many more times in your daughter's gymnastics journey, if she continues with the sport.

My dd has gotten and lost her BWO on beam, BHS on beam, squat-on on bars, giant on bars and probably other stuff I'm not aware of multiple times each.

It is hard, but you have to not let yourself worry about it or you will drive yourself and your dd crazy.

Welcome to the world of gymnastics!

She will get it back, don't worry! And she might lose it again ;) but one day it will stick!

That's it is over for her (said completely tongue in cheek).

This is a sport that requires patience, especially of the parents.

Marathon not a sprint.

Wait until you get to the kip............ and beyond.

This is good practice for you :D

I agree that she will get it but also agree that this won't be the last time it will happen. Be supportive and reassure her that she can do anything she sets her mind to. Although my daughter has yet to be fearful of anything yet, she does however gain and loose skills when she is receiving corrections and fine tuning things. Example was her Giants.. She had them did several with the release dismount then had to fix it.. She lost them for a few weeks while she was getting the feel for the correction. The first pullover on bars is a big skill for that level. Tell her to keep up the good work.

She'll get it. Then lose it again. Then get it again. Then maybe have it half the time for a month or so. Then have it conistently on a good day but be nowhere close on a bad day. Then lose it. Then get it. And so on. Eventually it will click and she'll have it consistently and be ready to build on it. Eventually she'll have it so effortlessly that you could pull her out of bed at 2 am and she could immediately do it with perfect form.

She'll do the same with many many many many other skills. I recommend making your peace with this up-and-down process as soon as you can, first because it's the norm in this sport and there's nothing you can do to change it, and second because if she can tell you're worrying or stressing about it, that's pretty much guaranteed to make it worse.

Last edited:
Wait until she gets a new skill, and then looses an old one.......

I have always told my kids when they loose the skill, if they did it before, they can do it again.....their brain just has to put it in the right place.....it's all floating around in there, and it will come back.

Yes! My dd struggled with giants all last year (L7). Finally got them and took 5th at states on bars!!!

....then proceeded to lose them again. Sigh...

Just getting them back now.

OMG don't get me started with the tricks come and tricks go saying...because they do!!!!
This said, it is so exciting when they do something for the first time. I always remind my child she has done it when we are waiting for it to return, she just needs more muscle memory.:):D

Peer influence is quite powerful at every age. Keep conversation, insight and encouragement going with your daughter. My daughter was Level 9 and she might have been 11 1/2 at that time when she told me one day "I hate competing". This shocked me since she has never said this before. I recalled her telling me in the past so and so and so and so (several of her teammates) hate competing. I knew she got very nervous competing but I didn't think she "hated" it. I suspected it was due to hearing many girls around her saying they hated competing that she decided she hated it too. So, I told her if you hate it so much and it is not fun, she should stop competing but she can still take classes. Then I also told her, she should not be influenced by what people around her like or do not like and that she should figure it out herself. I further explained it is ok to be different and that her disposition on things will affect the outcome. If she hates competing, it will show and she will not do well at meets. This was the last I heard her say it. Shortly thereafter, she voluntarily told me while she does get nervous she likes competing.

To this date, she keeps a positive outlook when she competes despite still many of her teammates hating competion. Of course, my daughter was a lot older than your daughter and it was easier to reason with her. But as everyone stated above, getting and losing skills, liking and disliking gym, coaches, skills etc. will happen a lot in her journey. So mental fortitude is important and you can perhaps help in that department.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back