Parents Need to share, what the heck just happened?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I disagree with all of those who say it is "unfair to the other gymnasts that one gets to eat chips." Obviously, life isn't unfair. Is it fair that this little girl has this particular medical condition? Is it fair that the other children have the molecule that enable them to metabolize fat while this little girl doesn't? Doesn't seem fair to me.......

Treating each kid equally means each kid gets their specific needs met, not that we treat them all the same.

I am a teacher so that means I have some kids who get extra time or other accommodations during testing. Is that "fair" or is that meeting each child's need in an equal manner?

So yeah, if this little girl occasionally makes a food choice that isn't extended to the other girls, honestly, my opinions is that everyone needs to kind of get over it. Mom doesn't send chips every day, had a specific reason why she did that one day, coaches know, doctor has confirmed the condition....case closed in my book.

Totally agree!
I teach, too, and that is basically my philosophy!!

Thank you bellas mom and all you other supportive parents. you are articulate in ways I am not, probably because I was too upset to think of all the right reasons why. It's not to the point of us looking for a new gym or anything, but more discussion with the coaches is certainly necessary to ensure this never happens again, EVEN if mom and dad slip up and pack twinkies or something, they just cannot be confiscated. Add to this that this child also has aspergers syndrome and a very hard time articulating her needs. She needs the adults caring for her to be on the ball.

oh, geez...do the coaches know that too? shame on them! i'll deliver the bag of chips myself and let's see them take it out of my hands...maybe some twinkies too!:)

eta: you know what? i was just stewing. kick the coach in the shin for me.

I allow my gymnasts food during longer training sessions not so much for their bodies but for their minds. The body is useless if they are unable to concentrate. As a coach I don't label food, there was a scary situation with a very young gymnast that I never want to see happen again. If I have an issue with the fitness level of my athletes I add in more high energy activities that are disguised as fun into their workout. I don't have to mention food because I can generally train them to have the bodies they need.

In the OP's situation if I was the coach I would have left the child alone and approached the parent if it really concerned me (it would not).

Eventually your body will just start tapping into to your bodyfat stores but this is a very slow way to refuel yourself. Obviously your body's has multiple energy systems constantly going on...

but once you are out of glycogen, you are in a canoe down river without a paddle.

My daughter has to eat during practice. She is very thin with a very, very fast metabolism. She eats a lot, all the time whether she's doing gymnastics or not. She's not standing at her locker eating a full meal, but she does take a few bites of something at each break or has a few sips of a smoothie. It makes a huge difference for her in the last 30 minutes of a 3.5 hour practice. If she doesn't have anything, she is a trembly, shaking mess by the end and not really able to get the most out of that last half hour. It's like she wilts.

Everybody is different and every 'body' requires something different and that can change over time. Especially with children who are growing.

Our gym must be atrocious. We actually sell snack sized bags of chips! :eek: And when I go to watch my nieces practices at a different gym, I always hit the snack bar for some of their nacho's and cheese. We also sell peanut butter crackers, animal crackers, trail mix, and for drinks, Powerade's, Vitamin Water, and waters. We don't sell soda, which some of the parents actually complain about, but we figure we're bad enough selling those bag of chips. ;-)

As for the eating during practice, it is not unusual at all to see girls taking a few minutes to grab a bite out of the lunch boxes. I'd say 90% of the team girls bring their own snacks, and 90% of the rec kids/parents are the ones buying snacks. Being in the gym 3-5 days a week, most of the parents are aware their kids need more then chips and animal crackers. But, if for some reason they forget, don't have time to stop at home, whatever the reason, chips are better then nothing. We've tried selling fruit and other healthier snacks, but they tend to go bad before they sell, and next thing you know the staff is eating brown bananas. ;-)

sorry it is not, BUT it is SEITZ ;):D

i knew that...was typing to fast and that z is right next to that s. i love that Seitz. her Def and full twisting Shaposh are signature skills. :) i saw her when she was a "baby" gymnast when i was there for a competition.

My daughter has to eat during practice. She is very thin with a very, very fast metabolism. She eats a lot, all the time whether she's doing gymnastics or not. She's not standing at her locker eating a full meal, but she does take a few bites of something at each break or has a few sips of a smoothie. It makes a huge difference for her in the last 30 minutes of a 3.5 hour practice. If she doesn't have anything, she is a trembly, shaking mess by the end and not really able to get the most out of that last half hour. It's like she wilts.

Everybody is different and every 'body' requires something different and that can change over time. Especially with children who are growing.

My daughter is the same way, skinny as a rail, she has always been at the highest in the 3rd percentile for her weight but she eats like crazy. (mainly healthy stuff) she doesn't really eat big meals but small frequent meals. She only has 2 hour classes right now as she is only 5 but she has to have a snack and drink before and after class. A good one is apples with peanut butter (unless your child has a nut allergy), I find it keeps her going for a while.

and i hope they eat chips from time to time. my athletes do. and i eat them too!:) let's keep perspective here. it was 1 bag of chips. the human body is not going to undertake Armageddon in a 6 year old cuz of 1 bag of chips. :)

Sun chips and Veggie straws and chips are sold, so they are on the approved list!!!

I've read this thread and while I don't agree with the coach taking the food, the coach obviously had their reasons - sounding like since it wasn't healthy, they didn't want it there. Maybe in the future if you are in a jam and you have to send the evil junk food, that your child leave the floor and eat it in the waiting area, rather than on the floor in front of everyone else. I've been sending the "healthy snack for years now", trust me, it's not always easy. I work full-time and she goes straight from school, me straight from work, I have to pack the night before, I know the drill, but if I don't have something in my house, I buy it on the way or at my work's cafeteria. It's a hassle, but that's what I do. My dd's coach would have a hissy fit, well that's the G version, if I sent in a bag of chips and honestly at this point my dd would definitely sneak it or not eat it in front of anyone (but she's a lot older than your dd). I firmly believe in everything in moderation, like what has been said her, but I make sure the junk food moderation is done outside the gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back