New Club Grades

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was told you couldn't do it twice? Or maybe the 'she can't do it again' was a HC decision rather than a BG decision.

Maybe it is because it is new grades you could retake it. Completely pointless.

Now @floppycat I had never considered taking compulsory 5 out of age. But I suppose that if you just miss compulsory 4 it would be a more appropriate competition than grade 13. I think I might like that idea.

Are the out of age kids kept separate? It definitely wouldn't be fair to mix them up. I think in our region they just got certificates and not medals, were kept off the in age score sheet. However I know that in some regions the out of age girls got medals.

Heard of one HC that did suggest for a gymnast to take level 5 out of age rather than grade 13 as it was much harder than the level 5 she passed last year.

Aggh just when I think I understand I get confused again. I thought you could only do compulsory level 3, 2 and 1 out of age. I thought compulsory 5 and 4 had to be done "in age".

You could always do 4 ooa but hardly anyone did. I do remember people doing it in September now and again.

Level 5 in our region was won bye only ooa, very frustrating!

NOT like at all. How can that be fair. The OOA kids should be separate not nicking medals off kids a year younger. Did they mix the Level 4s as well with the OOA.

Heard of one HC that did suggest for a gymnast to take level 5 out of age rather than grade 13 as it was much harder than the level 5 she passed last year.

This I understand if not up to 4 BUT if they have already taken 5 I thought the rule was for BG you couldn't take a grade once you have passed. Odd region yours (no offense LOL)

NOT like at all. How can that be fair. The OOA kids should be separate not nicking medals off kids a year younger. Did they mix the Level 4s as well with the OOA.
Think we are the same region and looking at score sheet level 5 was together but 4 and 3 apart. When I asked dd why she said it was because level 5 didn't go to nationals. Still not fair though

Yes, sorry not clear only level 5 were they not apart. However ooa at level 4 I'm pretty sure passed level 4 last year.

a popular gymnast on youtube did her level 5 this year and only came 2nd as the winner was out of age which i think was very unfair. They should have grouped them seperately. In my region luckily compulsory level 5 is in age only, gymnasts have to have been born in 2006.

Yes, sorry not clear only level 5 were they not apart. However ooa at level 4 I'm pretty sure passed level 4 last year.
If you are talking about the 04 girl no she didn't - she did 13 which was a surprise as she won 14 (and 13).

Vbbf - think again we are talking the same region

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure why people think it's unfair to have ooa gymnasts compete in the same group as ia. Surely it's the skills being tested not the age of the gymnast? I should preface that with "provided they haven't been training those skills for years without competing them". For example....you don't sit in your exams at college/uni and say "it's not fair...because you're mature student so you're bound to do better than me".

I would think because it is SO much harder getting these skills in-age, I would be happy with two awards, in and out of age - its not like we over reward here in the UK

I'm not quite sure why people think it's unfair to have ooa gymnasts compete in the same group as ia. Surely it's the skills being tested not the age of the gymnast? I should preface that with "provided they haven't been training those skills for years without competing them". For example....you don't sit in your exams at college/uni and say "it's not fair...because you're mature student so you're bound to do better than me".

I agree- if you have 5 Level 5 gymnasts total, it doesn't really make sense to split it into age groups. Many sports have 2 year age bands anyway, they only split the age groups up if there are enough numbers. My 9 year old is competing in the 10/11 year age group this year. Many competitions I've entered always "reserve the right to combine/split age groups depending on number of entries".

Maybe it is because it is new grades you could retake it. Completely pointless.

Now @floppycat I had never considered taking compulsory 5 out of age. But I suppose that if you just miss compulsory 4 it would be a more appropriate competition than grade 13. I think I might like that idea.

Are the out of age kids kept separate? It definitely wouldn't be fair to mix them up. I think in our region they just got certificates and not medals, were kept off the in age score sheet. However I know that in some regions the out of age girls got medals.

Just had a look at the results for our region and the Level 3's OOA were grouped together and they got medals (there was only 3 of them).

I would think because it is SO much harder getting these skills in-age, I would be happy with two awards, in and out of age - its not like we over reward here in the UK

I'm not sure I agree with that either. I think certain skills are actually easier for younger girls who e.g. are more flexible, have less fear (it's a known fact that kids reach a certain age and then start to "question" the risk etc). I agree that an older girl may be more mature and therefore perhaps e.g. handle pressure better. Overall though....I think these things balance out and you can fairly compare apples and pears.

Also....I think it's a bit odd that everyone seems to pretty much agree that a single track system like the US would be better...but so far as I can tell their levels take no account of age. They seem skill based not age based.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back