WAG New level 4 bars question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flippingtogether

Proud Parent
So, since there is no front hip circle in the new level 4 bars routine (the routine is basically the same as the old level 5 bars rountine except for that one skill which is now omitted), will that mean new level 4 bars scores should go up from what old level 5 bars scores were? Since there are less skills for deductions, is my thinking.....

And why was this seemingly important skill removed?

I don't know why it was removed but my dd who just finished her L5 season is very, very jealous that her sister won't have to compete it when she reaches new L4. She struggled a bit with a good FHC coming out of the kip with a high enough cast at the end. Doing just a kip and cast seems a lot easier.

They took it out since the real progression out of a kip is a cast... To be able to do this you need to finish the kip with your shoulders shrugging to your ears and your toes in front of you. Putting the FHC after the kip counter acts this training by teaching them to push down on the bar and get the bar on the thighs rather than tight by the hips

They took it out since the real progression out of a kip is a cast... To be able to do this you need to finish the kip with your shoulders shrugging to your ears and your toes in front of you. Putting the FHC after the kip counter acts this training by teaching them to push down on the bar and get the bar on the thighs rather than tight by the hips

My L8 daughter has worked all year on learning to finish her kips correctly to be able to cast out of it in order to get a clean kip-cast hs. All she told me was that she learned to finish her kip wrong and that she couldn't get a strong cast out of it. This makes so much sense to me now.

WOW! Thanks everyone for these really helpful answers - this makes a lot more sense now! Do it correct early on so it is a real building block! :)

I personally like the new routine a lot better. It saw a lot of level 6s struggle with their clearhips because they had only worked fronthip circles out of their kips on low bar and not casts. Hopefully this will make the new 5 better, and give an incentive to coaches for teaching kids to finish their kips correctly.

I don't really care either way but there was already a kip cast in the old level 5. Most proficient gyms had kids who could do both. And on one hand, kip and rolling forward quickly is a good drill to pull the shoulders over the bar.

One of the drills we used for connected kips is Kip fall forward roll to get them to get their shoulders over the bar. But you can't compete a kip to fall in a routine so you do a front hip circle.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back