new level 6 in 2013

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello

My granddaughter is competing level 5 another year this season when she moves to 6 next year can she skip the new 6 that will be 5 and move to the optional 6 level? Can you skip if she has a good aa score at state?

I think there is talk about making the NEW 6 (similar to current 7) not a required level, but I think she will definitely need a move-up score from the new 5. Plenty of gyms have girls score out of the current 6, so I suppose it's possible that they could have her score out of the new 5, but she can't skip it all together. At least that's how I understand it.

I don't think anyone really know how things will work until we get there and everything is finalized. But my understanding was that the new L6 would be the old L7 not the Old L5. The new L5 is supposed to be the skills of the old L6. So I would think she would have to have now the skills of the current L6 to skip the new L5. But I think we need to wait to see what the final versions of things are going to be first.

agree with GymBee...the new L6 will be similar to the old L5, so she would technically continue to be L5 in 2013 if she were "moving up"...I think she would still have to score out of it, just as anyone would under the current rules.

Kate the new L6 will be the start of the new optional program and will be similar to the old L7 not Old L5

My understanding is

Old L4 will be New Compulsory L3 (first level most do comps at like current L4)
Old L5 will be New Compulsory L4
Old L6 will be New Compulsory L5
Old L7 will be new Optional L6
Old L8 will be new Optional L7
A new L8 will be added
Old L9 and L10 will still be the same

But you know with USAG until everything is finalized you never know what they will end up doing.

Right, so if the poster's granddaughter will be ready for current L6 skills in 2013, she would be in L5 in 2013...unless she scored out...correct??

Sorry, you know what I meant!!!! Posted that backwards LOL... so if the poster's granddaughter will be ready for current L6 skills in 2013, she would be in L5 in 2013...unless she scored out...

LOL, as you can see from the above, this issue is confusing. Probably just best to wait until the time draws near and see how it plays out. I don't think anything "official" has been said yet about scoring out or skipping. I think a lot of people are wondering whether there kids will have to "repeat" their old level again (with new skills) or whether they can in essence move up two levels even though on paper they're only moving up one (see, confusing, right?). I'm sure when 2013 is more near there will be answers.

Hahaha! After reading through this, my head is about to explode! :eek: I think they should go with all new names cause this old/new level stuff is a nightmare! I don't envy owners and coaches trying to clarify all this to parents. Maybe names like:
Level 1: Newbies (old 2)
Level 2: Still Fun (old 3)
Level 3: Start of Crazy Parents (old 4)
Level 4: Kips! (old 5)
Level 5: Score Out Quick (old 6)
Level 6: I'm Finally an Optional (Old 7)
Level 7: Flipping Vault! (old 8)
Level 8: Guinnea Pigs (brand new level)
Level 9: This is Hard (no changes)
Level 10: Top Gymnasts (no changes)

Here's the conversation:
Gymnast 1: "What level are you?"
Gymnast 2: "Kips!"
Or
#1: "What level are you?"
#2: "Start of Crazy Parents."
#1: "Oh, so sorry. But hopefully next year you'll move up!"

See how much fun that could be?? Anyone with me? Hahaha! But seriously...

Hahaha! After reading through this, my head is about to explode! :eek: I think they should go with all new names cause this old/new level stuff is a nightmare! I don't envy owners and coaches trying to clarify all this to parents. Maybe names like:

Here's the conversation:
Or

I love it! If only Chalkbucket were in charge of USAG....we could have so much fun!

Hello

My granddaughter is competing level 5 another year this season when she moves to 6 next year can she skip the new 6 that will be 5 and move to the optional 6 level? Can you skip if she has a good aa score at state?

It really has less to do with how well she scores in her current level and more to do with whether she has the skills to skip a level, as she will essentially be going from level 5 to level 7 by todays rules. Lots of gyms score out of current L6 now. But their programs are set up to up train the girls so they are prepared for it. It really depends on the gym's training program.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

agree with gymgal. Our gym does not score out of L6, and many girls even do two years of 6, so there's really no way our girls would jump from 5 to 7.

this is awesome and absolutely perfect!! Please send it to USAG for consideration ASAP!

Here's the conversation:
Or

Sorry, you know what I meant!!!! Posted that backwards LOL... so if the poster's granddaughter will be ready for current L6 skills in 2013, she would be in L5 in 2013...unless she scored out...

Yes I think she would have to score out, but I'm thinking that they may have something in place for situations like this too with USAG and the changes. UGH I don't know why they just didn't add a L11 instead of squeezing something in between L8 and L9. I think its going to be a challenge in Sept 2013 to manuver this.

GAgymmom your too funny I love your new titles for the levels LOL!! I'm with you on these new names LOL!!!

Thanks for all the info I love the new names that you came up with hilarious. I guess we will wait and see and let my granddaughter continue to work her skills to move up lol :)

UGH I don't know why they just didn't add a L11 instead of squeezing something in between L8 and L9. I think its going to be a challenge in Sept 2013 to manuver this.

I agree! Other parents at our gym are already getting worked up about it. I try to explain that it's really just the number that's changing. The skill levels are the same. The fact that routines are changing too is confusing people into thinking that going from L5 to L4 will really be a move down when it's not. Maybe they should just add in a "Level 8A" or something.

Here's the conversation:
Or

Ha ha! This is great, especially the level 4 suggestion. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back