WAG New Level 6 vs. Current Level 6

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok...I'll ask since no one else is...

What are the A B C D etc skills? (I haven't a clue, though I'm sure all the coaches know)

And A B C D Dance skills?

Just...for examples. Just because I'm a curious parent.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

I was just going to ask this?
My daughter is Level 8. I don't know what ABCD is but I do know what skills she does in her routines (and what skills she is working on, more or less)
I haven't heard anything about 8-10 changing. So, assumed my daughter would stay Level 8 a second year, though I know she is working on some 9 skills and has some as well.

Thanks!

I was just going to ask this?
My daughter is Level 8. I don't know what ABCD is but I do know what skills she does in her routines (and what skills she is working on, more or less)
I haven't heard anything about 8-10 changing. So, assumed my daughter would stay Level 8 a second year, though I know she is working on some 9 skills and has some as well.

Thanks!

If 8 changes, it will be harder, not easier (8.5) so she will likely stay where she is if they has said she would repeat 8.

As for ABCD , they are levels of skills. I don't know a lot of them but some basics from dd are

A: full turn, cartwheel, bwo on beam, layout on floor, back/front circles on bars, BHS on floor

B: bhs on beam, layout full on floor, switch leap on floor, giants,

C: freehip handstand, straddle split on beam, switch leap on beam, double back off bars, pirouette

http://usagym.org/pages/women/events/jocompulsories/pdfs/feature_preparepoc.pdf

Page 3 of this powerpoint doc from USAG has the proposed list of value part requirements. As others have said, the special requirements for each level will not be released until May, but this is the latest I have seen on the breakdown. New level 6 is proposed to have 5 A skills and 1 B. New 7 is 5 A's and 2 B's as it is now. Both 6 & 7 will not allow C, D or E skills other than 3 C exceptions on bars. 8 is 4 A's 4 B's with one C allowed to count as a B (this is a change for 8 - currently no C skills allowed) plus all C dance skills allowed. 9 is 3 A's, 4 B's and 1 C with 1 D/E allowed to count as C plus all D/E dance. 10 is 3 A's, 3 B's, 2 C's with no restrictions for D/E skills.
That document has a different list of mobility from old to new levels than in this other document:
http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Junior Olympics/JOCompUpdateNovDec2012.pdf

Interesting.

If 8 changes, it will be harder, not easier (8.5) so she will likely stay where she is if they has said she would repeat 8.

As for ABCD , they are levels of skills. I don't know a lot of them but some basics from dd are

A: full turn, cartwheel, bwo on beam, layout on floor, back/front circles on bars, BHS on floor

C: freehip handstand, straddle split on beam, switch leap on beam, double back off bars, pirouette

Is there a document or a link to a page that lists what classifies as A, B, C, and D skills? The examples you give a re great, but I am sure there are more and I really have no knowledge of this stuff.:confused:

It is in the JO Code of Points (not the Rules & Policies); a document separately available for purchase (of course). I have never seen an online version. The new one is supposed to ship in May.

The problem with that document is that it is the FIG code of points, not the USAG JO Code of Points. My own comparison of the two is that there is too much difference to be accurate. Suggest getting the old (current) JO CoP or wait until the new one is available.

Hmmm...so she can do everything you've listed except a double back off bars (well, I don't think she can...I don't know what it is and know she does a flyaway off bars now)

Double back off bars is the tucked flyaway with 2 full rotations instead of the one rotation that you see in L6. Also C skills now allowed in L8 would be back tuck on beam, double back on floor and several options for release bar changes.

Double backs and release moves are Ds so you would not be able to do them in level 8...

My bad... I thought the double backs were Cs. I thought I saw some in some level 9 routines (which couldn't have Ds until this new season, correct?)

Level 9s have always been allowed Ds for C credit. Some transitions from high to low bar are Cs (Shootover to horizontal and counter) Some rare single bar release moves are Cs but those are rare and most gyms don't teach those as they aren't worth anything and have no bonus...

Some Cs (dance elements, clear hip hs, handstand 1/2 pirouette) are allowed in current level 7/8 routines and will obviously still be allowed after the level change. I think, at least for the first year, these will be the more common C skills used. Some others that come to mind are shootover (from hs) to horizontal and straddle backs to horizontal, toe shoots from LB to HB, stalder hs, double back flyaways on UB. For beam, I think back tucks are the most common C beyond dance elements. For floor I think tumbling will largely remain the same with Cs coming mostly from dance skills. Maybe some back 1 1/2s.

ETA- You can a list of more common A/B/C skills here- Gymnstands - A Gymnastics Website Not sure if any of these values will change with the level changes, but it gives a general idea.

Some Cs (dance elements, clear hip hs, handstand 1/2 pirouette) are allowed in current level 7/8 routines and will obviously still be allowed after the level change. I think, at least for the first year, these will be the more common C skills used. Some others that come to mind are shootover (from hs) to horizontal and straddle backs to horizontal, toe shoots from LB to HB, stalder hs, double back flyaways on UB. For beam, I think back tucks are the most common C beyond dance elements. For floor I think tumbling will largely remain the same with Cs coming mostly from dance skills. Maybe some back 1 1/2s.

ETA- You can a list of more common A/B/C skills here- Gymnstands - A Gymnastics Website Not sure if any of these values will change with the level changes, but it gives a general idea.

This Resource needs a "Sticky"!!!!

New Level 6 will require 1 B and 5 A skills on each event. The special requirements aren't announced yet. Level 7 will be 2 B and 5 A skills. More information will be available in May.

And now the next question.....for states that have compulsories compete in the fall, and options in the winter, is it completely clear which season the new level 6 will compete?
Will new level 6 be with the other optionals for sure, or is there a chance they will be competing in fall with compulsories in certain states??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back