Parents new routines competition soon not being taught..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jar854

Proud Parent
Gymnast
I'm just wondering where everyone is on the new routines. I have a DD doing level 3 and another DD doing 4 and neither one has been taught their routines yet. Our competition season starts mid October. I'm starting to get a little freaked out. School is starting in a couple of weeks and they only work out 12 hours a week during school time. They do at least two hours of conditioning a practice right now and only work on two apparatus a practice. I should also mentioned we moved gyms this year after the end of the season and I'm just not feeling very comfortable right now. Thanks.

I have an old saying, you can catch up on skills and routines, but you cannot catch up on strength. That being said,,, 2 events a day? Are you sure?

I am sure. I have asked my girls repeatedly. Originally I thought this was being done because we were off season and as I said we left our gym in March. They are in the gym for 4 hours every time they are there and they are conditioning for at least two hours each day. Our old gym was only a three hour practice with a warm up for 15 minutes and conditioning for 15 minutes and all 4 events. Is this a concern I should try to contact the coach about? I'm still so new and don't want to make any waves.

I would probably try and ask a coach?? My older DD is also competing L3 this season-first meet Sep 7. She knows all of the routines except for bars. She just moved from XCel 2 weeks ago so the routines can be learned fairly quickly.

Our gym starts working on routines about 2 months before. I always panic as well. But I understand that they want to try and get all those necessary skills in first. I would also suggest chatting with the coach.

Our gym taught all the new compulsory routines in July/Aug. Some kids that have been away a lot for summer vacation may need some catch up. Our first meet is November.

Doesn't mean they have all the skills, though.

Sounds like your gym has its reasons for waiting. Ask & get some reassurance.

Our girls started learning the new routines after our July 4th break.

My daughter knows the routines and she feels pretty confident about them.

However, the gym used to require 35 to advance to state and they moved it down to the state requirement of 32 this year.... hahaha so not sure why they did that. worried me a bit actually

Our girls have just started learning their routines. Only two of the optionals who need new rouines have their routines, DD and one other. We are starting a bit earlier this year because of all of the new stuff.

Well, I'm just a parent, but I was in the gym today and I happened to watch a few girls do the level 3 routine. I saw 4 or 5 girls do it. I think I've got it down. Right down to the ending pose.

I think your girls will be okay. Really.

thanks I feel better - also found an app that has the full routines so now the girls can at least see the routines they are supposed to do.

I wouldn't worry to much about the new routines, my eldest dd only started gymnastics 5 weeks ago - straight into the disability development group and the have their first competition in 2 months time. Dd came into it knowing nothing and they pretty much started on their routines 4 weeks ago (she trains 2 hours twice a week just for the comp) Dd also does 2 development classes a week that are separate to the comp training ones where she does conditioning and is learning basic gymnastics moves, she has already learnt the floor and beam routine (dd has to do a compulsory routine), the coming weeks will be spent on tidying up the routines before she goes back to school - I have no idea what her schedule will be when she goes back to school but I am sure they will sort something out.

Please don't worry as the routines can be learnt pretty quickly.

I can speak solely for our gym, summer is spent on conditioning and skills. Once the kids go back to school, and the gyms fall schedule starts, the routines start. I think they do that because they have a better understanding of who the teams ares. If girls quit, they generally do that over the summer or right before school starts. For our gym September is when the lower levels concentrate on routines. I would worry to much about it, most the girls have them after one or two classes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back