Newbie - when to worry about aches and pains

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

themonkeysmom

Proud Parent
This fall will be my son's first, he is a new level 4.

Being new to the world of gymnastics, I am keeping an eye out for his little 6 year old body.

On a few occasions he has complained of his lower back hurting after practice. It seems as though it is the muscles and not anything structural (most likely from working so hard to get his pancake combined with all the straddle press handstands). I always ask him if it really hurts or if it's just annoying. He always says that it's just annoying, and is right back to driving me nuts with handstands and cartwheels all over the living room before the night is over.

Is it normal to have a sore back after practice now and then? At what point do you worry when a gymnast says something hurts?

I don't want to worry too much about little aches and pains, but I don't want to accidentally brush off something important some day.

Hi, and welcome to CB!! I have boys, too, one who is in gym. The "problem" with kids is, they get growing pains, too...muscles hurt from growing as well as overuse. To be sure, I'd have your pediatrician look at him. Better safe than sorry. Whether its growing pains or an injury, his doctor can tell you what you can do about it...

Really, since you aren't sure, you better let the doctor decide.

He is no longer in pain. It's usually short lived and over before the next day.

I would definitely take him to the doctor if it was still bothering him, but I'd feel funny going in and saying that his back "was hurting and then it stopped"

I guess I'll just keep an eye on it for now and I'll be sure to mention it at his annual exam in September.

If my child complained about pain in the same location more than a few times I would have it checked out. My oldest had back pain with bridges and walkovers, I took her to the doc and we discovered she had scoiosis that was pulling her hips out of alignment and the muscles were causing her considerable pain, but only during gym. COnsequently she had physio and stopped doing those skills. Pain is always worth checking out if it recurrs.

aches, pains bruises, sprains are all part of the sport. I usually will give it a few days and see if it goes away. Usually after a practice that my son and daughter weren't use to when they were in the lower levels they would complain about every little ache and pain. Over the years you start to know what is just normal and what needs to be seen by a DR.

I usually will see them being ok outside of gym then I know it's really nothing but if they seem to be favoring a foot or what ever and it last more than a few days then its off to the Dr. I also keep motrin around to give them at night before bed. Usually in the AM they are fine.

Its hard to see your little one in pain even if it is just a little pain but really this sport I think both my kids had some ache, pain, bruise or cut every week.

Thanks all!

Cher,
that sounds like a very realistic view. Like I said earlier, he is always acting totally normal by the time we get home. He'll be doing handstands the minute we walk in the door and I'll remind him that he told me his back was sore on the way home and he should sit down and give it a break...but he insists that it's better already. Other times he says that it feels better if he "stretches it out," and he'll do some stretching on his own and claim that the problem is solved.

I can't quite figure him out. Sometimes he's overly sensitive about something, and other times he's much tougher than I would expect.

If after a practice he was ever unable to continue with his normal wild-6-year-old-boy routine because of pain, I would definitely get him into the doc right away.

Take him to a doctor. A girl on our level 3 team fell from the rope over a year ago. Her mom took her to the doctor and the pediatrician said she was fine. She signed up for the all day summer camp and she was doubled over in pain. Mom took her back and found out with X-ray that one of her spinal bones was locked up and pressing on her spinal column. Don't mess with your kids back. Her little kid is only 6 too.

I often used to have back problems, first as an ice skater, then also as a gymnast. They hurt during layback spins and Bielmann spins in skating, as well as walkovers and bridges in gymnastics. I went to the doctor several times but they could not find anything wrong. I took over-the-counter Aleve or Advil before practice and sometimes took a couple weeks off from back-bending things. Two or three years after the problem started, I realized it had completely gone away. Must have been growing pains or a muscular imbalance that was corrected. I did have a slight curvature of the spine - I don't know if I still do - but not true scoliosis or anything. If it's not seriously bothering him I wouldn't worry about it - just take some time off from the stuff that hurts him.

Well I usually come home from a 3 hour practice feeling like I got hit by a bus. Personally I've always thought that a pain or ache becomes something serious when it keeps you from doing you're skills, or even every day tasks. Honestly, unless he fell from height, or broke a bone, any pains will almost always be sore or torn muscles, which you can't do to much about.

If my child complained about pain in the same location more than a few times I would have it checked out. My oldest had back pain with bridges and walkovers, I took her to the doc and we discovered she had scoiosis that was pulling her hips out of alignment and the muscles were causing her considerable pain, but only during gym. COnsequently she had physio and stopped doing those skills. Pain is always worth checking out if it recurrs.

I agree that if continues you should check it out. Ask your pediatrician for the name of a sports medicine orthopedist.

Bog, is your daughter still doing gymnastics?

jdf, older DD finally stopped in May. Too much time off led to falling behind and always playing catch up on skills. I have never allowed my kids to train through pain, the long term problems are just not worth it to me.

She will try to do tramopline and double mini tramp this year. We will see if that is easier on her body. The hours are a lot less.

It is very important that parents realise that just because their child loves gym and is very good at it that it doesn't mean that it is the right sport for them. Not every body can stand up to the rigors of gym training and sometimes kids need to stop and find something else to love. Nagging pains are bad in a young child, but they can cause long term health issue. They only get one spine, it needs protecting. Back pain should never be considered normal if it reoccurs.

Thanks for all the advice!

Our gym is on break until after Labor Day right now, and he hasn't mentioned his back at all. If it recurs when gym starts back up, we will be at the doc ASAP.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back