No Chellsie:(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Shawn Johnson was below a 28 last year(for two events) and she went to the PanAms. Betty Okino was on the 92 Olympic Team after not competing at Nats or Trials.

I would think that after the Domi M saga of 2000, USAG would have figured out how to deal with this better.

I know I said I am not going to reply anymore, but I changed my mind. Steve Penny had no right to say those things! If they are not going to let her compete, they at least owe it to her to be polite and respectful about it! Telling her to retire so it will make them look good was completely uncalled for and disrespectful. If she wants to continue competing, then by all means, let her continue competing. It is her life, and she can decide what she wants to do with it. And don't say that they just want to make sure she doesn't get injured, because they obviously don't care. They just want to save themselves.

Wow, that article posted from the JSOnline does not make her father (or anyone) look very good. Perhaps they owed it to her for old times sake, but I don't see any way on heaven or earth that she could make the Olympic team when there's only 5 slots available.

Wow, that article posted from the JSOnline does not make her father (or anyone) look very good. Perhaps they owed it to her for old times sake, but I don't see any way on heaven or earth that she could make the Olympic team when there's only 5 slots available.
I don't think the point is whether she could make it on the team or not. I think it is that if she loves the sport, she has the right to continue, no matter what they say.

While this is true, she didn't even know that she needed a 14. It was not in writing anywhere. There were set scores for 2, 3, and 4 events, but no set score for just 1 event.... If it said in writing that a 14 was needed to qualify, there would be much less controversy. As for the training camps, I think she was smart for not going. She was saving her body for the actual competitions, instead of wasting it on training. Spots on the team should be based on competition, not training. Marta said herself that the Classics were just a "rehearsal." So, shouldn't the decision be based on the real competition, not the rehearsal? What does USAG have to lose by letting her go to nationals? It's not like she's getting a spot on the team or knocking another girl out by competing. What they are losing by not letting her compete is my (and I'm sure many other people's) respect for them.

First of all, even if she had known, would she have gotten the 14? No. She knew she needed a good score, and a score in the 11's is not a good score. Even if there was not a set score for 1 event, all the gymnasts and coaches must have known there was a point. It wasn't in writing but it was set.

Second, if she had gone to the camps she might have actually improved. She still trianed even if it wasn't training and she wouldn't have been wasting anything.

Third of all, even if the Classic was a rehearsal, then why did she fall so often? What would happen with added pressure? If it was a rehearsal without too much pressure, what would happen, if she was, to make the Olympic team? I understand you don't think she is going to the Olympics and you just want her to have a final competition, but what would the comittee get from letting her compete? She would just have to train more for the next competition, and get upset if she didn't make it to Olympic Trials.

ALSO, if spots should be based on competition she obviously did not even make it close to where the other girls were. The whole thing about training, is that if she had done good in training but not in the actual competition (which she obviously didn't) then she could have made it through. She didn't not petition through because she didn't go to training, it's because she failed when it counted.
I'm not saying she shouldn't have made it to nationals, but I think it makes sense why she didn't.

I don't think the point is whether she could make it on the team or not. I think it is that if she loves the sport, she has the right to continue, no matter what they say.

Sorry for another post but I just say this.
By the if "she loves the sport" then all elite gymnasts should make it to nationals. Most gymnasts who get that far love the sport but do they make it through? No.

Third of all, even if the Classic was a rehearsal, then why did she fall so often? What would happen with added pressure? If it was a rehearsal without too much pressure, what would happen, if she was, to make the Olympic team? I understand you don't think she is going to the Olympics and you just want her to have a final competition, but what would the comittee get from letting her compete? She would just have to train more for the next competition, and get upset if she didn't make it to Olympic Trials.

Are you saying you think she can't handle pressure? Do you know anything about Chellsie Memmel? This girl is the ultimate team player. In 2006 she competed beam and floor on a bum shoulder after she qualified for AA and EFs and had to withdraw from the individual events because she put team first. This is just one example, there are others of showing how this young lady handles pressure and puts the team first.

I apologize if that isn't what you meant. But goodness, Chellsie is a fierce competitor who had a bad night. I believe had she done floor and beam, we wouldn't have this mess today.

Sorry for another post but I just say this.
By the if "she loves the sport" then all elite gymnasts should make it to nationals. Most gymnasts who get that far love the sport but do they make it through? No.

No no no, I think you misunderstood what I meant. I believe you thought I meant that since she loves the sport, she should continue on to nationals. What I really meant was, Steve Penny told her to retire. I meant that if she loves the sport, she has the right to continue DOING GYMNASTICS, not continue ON TO NATIONALS. He shouldn't tell her that she has to quit gymnastics all together.

Are you saying you think she can't handle pressure? Do you know anything about Chellsie Memmel? This girl is the ultimate team player. In 2006 she competed beam and floor on a bum shoulder after she qualified for AA and EFs and had to withdraw from the individual events because she put team first. This is just one example, there are others of showing how this young lady handles pressure and puts the team first.

I apologize if that isn't what you meant. But goodness, Chellsie is a fierce competitor who had a bad night. I believe had she done floor and beam, we wouldn't have this mess today.

Chellsie is an amazing gymnast who no longer has the confidence. I think she has changed and maybe she can't face the pressure.

No no no, I think you misunderstood what I meant. I believe you thought I meant that since she loves the sport, she should continue on to nationals. What I really meant was, Steve Penny told her to retire. I meant that if she loves the sport, she has the right to continue DOING GYMNASTICS, not continue ON TO NATIONALS. He shouldn't tell her that she has to quit gymnastics all together.

Chellsie said this was her last return to gymnastics. If she doesn't petition to nationals, she will retire, whether he said that or not.

"This has been a hard time for me. Gymnastics is something I have done my whole life, and now it is over. Last November, I took and passed the judges course, and it's a route I can take, if I like it. It might be weird to be on that side, but it is a way to be involved in the sport. Life goes on and I am starting a new chapter."

Time to move on.

Aw, never saw that. Well in that case...
Chellsie, it was a joy to watch you compete and grow. You have inspired me so much, and it is sad that your career had to end this way. However, I suppose we must move on, and you must begin a new journey. I wish you the best of luck in whatever path you take, and I will be rooting for you no matter what.

She has had an amazing career and she is getting up there in years (for a gymnast). It is sad that gymnastics means your career is over at 24, but that's just how the sport is. She has had so many physical problems that it may just be time to lay down the sword...and I can think of a couple other elite gymnasts who need to recognize their own time.

There are set scores and circumstances in which you can qualify to Nationals. If you fail to meet those scores/achievements you leave your fate in the hands of others.

Steve Penny is a fool

Andy Memmel is fool

Sometimes it is not love that drives a person to continue, it is the lack of anything else to move to/the fear of moving on to something new. I can think of a few coaches who coach gymnastics because it is all they have ever done/know, not because they actually enjoy coaching.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back