Not sure whether to stick or to stay

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lilgymnast7

I just came back from gymnastics a couple of minutes ago and I wanted to get my words down so I won't forget by tomorrow. I am unsure on whether I should stick with my gym or change to a new gym. I haven't progressed at my current gym. I haven't performed any new skills since June. Now I know gymnastics isn't a rush and everyone learns at different rates, but I have been working on some of these basic skills for a year now. I got a new coach during the summer and she is super sweet, but every week is the same. I take action and ask to try new skills but she says no, which puzzles me. Gymnastics isn't really fun anymore. Another reason I am not enjoying it is because when the other coach comes to help out he yells and screams and is quite rude. That is coming from a person who NEVER complains about anyone's personality. The other gym option is farther away but only by about 7 or 8 minutes give or take traffic. I have been told they are better in competitions and the coaches are good. I have been wanting to make a switch but I am unsure on whether it would be a better move. The new gym's class is a 3 hour instead of a 2 hour class, which concerns me. I am hopelessly confused and in need of some advice on ideas for what to do. Thanks in advance! :)

Well ok this is just a guess but are you in Australia just because of terminology?

If you are you should be getting new skills at the moment due to the time of year so i would ask your coach why you're not learning anything and go from there.

I think visit the other gym and ask if you can do a trial training session or just watch one and see how its run and then discuss it with your parents :) hope i helped

Check out the other gym to see if they are going to offer what you want. Ask about their policy on uptraining or trying new skills. No sense making a change if it is going to be the same as your present gym. You need to do something though, if gymnastics is not fun anymore!

Gymgurl- No Im not in Australia, I wish though lol!

And thanks both of you! I will get some info and maybe watch what a typical class is like. My main worry is that that gym is too competitive and it wouldn't be right for me, and then in that case there is no where else to go! How would I be able to confront my current coaches to state why I am having a problem and not enjoying the class? If I had to stay at that gym I would be unsure of how to voice how I feel.

if your not in aust and its around comp time you generally don't get many new skills but if it is off season then i think you should reconsider

Just say something like "we haven't been doing much uptraining lately, i was just wondering why?" and just explain that you want to learn and progress

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back