WAG not working to potential?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

She is still a silver? If she scored 38s and is doing the same stuff again....Is she bored, not challenged? The skills she is doing could easily be gold. Are they not letting her move up because of the "lack of effort" cause that may be the cause of the lack of effort. Just a thought.

Our season is not over yet, but she will repeat silver next year. It is a hard and fast rule at our gym that they must do two years. No exceptions. She was a bronze the last two years. They are already having the talk with her that she may be doing 3 years of silver, due to her effort. Yes, she may be bored, since she is a kid who likes skills. She has many higher level skills - has her bhs and round off on high beam, has her layout and robhsbt on floor, has her fhs ft connected. They are not pretty, but she does have them.

So even if she learns harder skills she cannot compete them and they are ALREADY talking about having her do Silver in 2019! There is no way this coaching relationship is going to work. I know your older DD loves it but I would pull your younger.

Our season is not over yet, but she will repeat silver next year. It is a hard and fast rule at our gym that they must do two years. No exceptions. She was a bronze the last two years. They are already having the talk with her that she may be doing 3 years of silver, due to her effort. Yes, she may be bored, since she is a kid who likes skills. She has many higher level skills - has her bhs and round off on high beam, has her layout and robhsbt on floor, has her fhs ft connected. They are not pretty, but she does have them.
Ok, not sure about your area, but all the skills you listed that she has.....That would fullfil platinum requirements! In her second year of bronze did they have a problem with her effort? Did her effort change once she moved to silver? 3 years at silver may kill her desire to continue gym all together.

Ok, not sure about your area, but all the skills you listed that she has.....That would fullfil platinum requirements! In her second year of bronze did they have a problem with her effort? Did her effort change once she moved to silver? 3 years at silver may kill her desire to continue gym all together.

Her effort has changed. She has never been a kid who feels extra is worth it, so she worked just hard enough in bronze to get high 38s. She was happy with that. I thinked she summed it up pretty well last night at her meet. She got a 36.3, and said "well at least I will do better next year since I will be doing the same routines again". I need to figure things out with her.

I too believe you should find a new gym. We had the same coach comments for DD before we switched. She was happy with what she was doing, a little bored, and really tired of the coaches attitude toward her. She said she was trying and she was happy with her scores. Coach wanted her to win, not just try, and was ugly when that wasn't her mindset. It quickly took all the fun out of gym for her. Worse, the constant "you aren't good enough / you aren't doing enough / you aren't trying enough" boiled over into other areas of her life so she was starting to doubt herself on everything. I was starting to hear "I'm not very good / smart / committed enough" regarding school work and everything else she did. Don't let your DD get there -- bringing her self confidence back took ages, lots of hard work, and a pretty good therapist.

Seems like there is a mismatch between your DD's goals and the gym's goals. You won't change the gym's focus, and if your DD doesn't want to change hers then the answer is a new gym.

Her effort has changed. She has never been a kid who feels extra is worth it, so she worked just hard enough in bronze to get high 38s. She was happy with that. I thinked she summed it up pretty well last night at her meet. She got a 36.3, and said "well at least I will do better next year since I will be doing the same routines again". I need to figure things out with her.

OK, that sounds to me like a kid who is just bored. There may well be other issues as well, but it sounds like she's not getting any help with motivation from the prospect of repeating the level. It may well be time to look elsewhere for her. :(

DS has always hated mushroom, but for a year and a half, all he was allowed to do was the most basic, work on circles. Finally about 2 weeks ago, the coach let him begin trying to work on the next elements, spindles and flares. He actually competed with those this past weekend, and got his second lowest mushroom score of the season while pretty much killing it for everything else. When I asked him what his favorite event was that day, you could have knocked me over with a feather when he said mushroom. Adding in the new skills, even though they were rough, brought the joy back for him.

I share that story not to derail your question, but to give you an actual recent example of a similar kid who needed to work on some new stuff to get the joy back. Whatever y'all decide, I hope she gets her joy back soon!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back