Parents NY Gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello All,

I'm a newbie to this forum and gymnastics in general. There's a good chance my family will be moving from MA to the NYC area. Can anyone recommend a good gym there? Thanks in advance!

Annabella

Hi, Welcome to CB! New York is the largest city in the US. You will need to narrow down the area you will be living in to determine which gyms would be a reasonable commute. Are you the gymnast or the parent? What level are you?

Thanks! I'm the parent of a level 4 gymnast. My husband will be working in Manhattan. We aren't very familiar with NY outside of the city and are still figuring out where we'd like to live. We're considering Westchester county, Long Island (towns in Nassau County) and maybe Brooklyn or Queens. I know this doesn't narrow things down much, but any competitive gym suggestions would be helpful right now. Thanks again!

There are many good gyms in the NYC and Long Island area each with its own personality or as we say in NY "flava". Once you've decided on where you would like to live it will be easier to give a few recommendations. Welcome to New York.:)

Really, you need to narrow down where you want to live, unless you will base that location on gym.

There is no way that you would want to live in Westchester and commute to LI for gym. The traffic is insane! Same with commuting into/out of NYC. A typical 20 minute drive can take more than 2 hours at rush hour (and sometimes not at rush hour)!

Thanks Bklyngymom and Ginnymac. I'm excited about this potential move as I've always loved NYC. I wouldn't base where we live just on a gym alone, but finding a good gym does matter so we're flexible right now. I like Brooklyn and Queens a lot,
any recommendations for those areas?

Thank you!

In Brooklyn I would recommend Aviator and In Queens Ninas both gyms have qualified their gymnasts to states in all levels. They are not far from the highway and usually you can find parking. As crazy as this might sound depending on which area in Queens or Brooklyn you reside a Manhattan gym maybe more convenient in that case NYC Elite, Chelsea Piers or Asphalt Green. I hope this helps and happy gym hunting:)

Welcome to New York! Once you know where you are going to live let us know. There really are a lot of gyms each with its own personality

Hi All, We've decided on Long Island. Good schools and more affordable than the Brooklyn or Queens neighborhoods we like. I know about Gold Medal Gymnastics, but I believe it's pretty far out in Long Island. Any other LI gym suggestions? Thanks for all your help!

@Shelovestoflip - I tried to respond to your message but your inbox is full.

Welcome to NY! We saw Gold Medal at a meet and I believe they have multiple locations. I hear they have a good program and their girls performed well at the meet. Perhaps one of their locations would be close to you? Good luck with the move!!

I hope you enjoy living in NY. Long Island has a wide variety of gyms. A friend has her daughter enrolled at New Image Gymnastics and she loves it. I would also check out BK gymnastics and Gym Nest.:)

If you are moving to Nassau in LI gold medal is like a hour away all 3 locations. I live in Nassau and my DD attends Mid Island Gymnastics in Hicksville (Nassau) it is a amazing gym and has been open for 40 years. We competed in MA once too. My daughters level 8 team has 28 girls one of the biggest in the whole country and have amazing coaches and the gym places top 3 for almost every level in the state

Gold Medal Gymnastics Huntington (actually located in Greenlawn, 40 miles from Manhattan. The other two locations are much farther away; Centereach is another 30 mins and Rocky Point is maybe another hour) was one of the top teams at the JO Nationals last year in terms of having the most girls qualify to JO. The number 1 team was WOGA, had 16 gymnasts qualify to nationals. Number two was Parkettes with 11 qualifiers. Third was Geddert's Twistars with 10. And Twin City Twisters and GMGC Huntington tied with 9 gymnasts each. GMGC had two regional champions.

Rochester Gymnastics Academy, upstate NY (maybe too far for you) was voted 2012 NY State Gym of the Year and 2012 Reguonal Gym of the year. They held the 2012 state championhip titles in two to three age groups in Level 5, 6, 7, and 8 and placing silver in Level 9 and Level 10.

Notable gyms are World Class Gymnastics, NYC Elite, Galaxy Gymnastics, Chelsea Piers and New Image. They constantly have high placing gymnasts and have qualified girls to JO. There may be others.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back