Off Topic Online degree

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am out of the Marines coaching again and need to use my GI Bill to earn a degree (prefer online or as much ad possible). I have looked for several sports science and or sports management degrees but I haven't seen any I trust.
Can someone guide me to either a great online school or a common degree that will give me more great credit as a coach and a future gym owner?

I will live in Irving Texas in May...

Thank you

I am not in the US and don't understand some of the abbreviations or terminology such as "common degree" that you've used, but I do have a background in higher education and as no one else has responded, I will chime in.

A couple of questions to clarify, both for me and perhaps for yourself.

Are you after a degree that is perceived as prestigious? Or is the content that you would learn from a less prestigious institution sufficient that you would still be gaining a lot of knowledge?

Are you wanting a degree so it adds credibility to you as a coach/owner? Or again, is it the knowledge and practical experience that perhaps might be more important. Perhaps again, a less intensive program might be very very useful whilst allowing you more time with your family and practical management and work experience?
Do you think people who might attend your future gym would really mind what academic qualifications you have? Would they check which institution they are from or even know which are more respected or not? Perhaps this is less important than you might think.

A good way of working out which institutions are preferred by potential employers is to call and ask them for recommendations. If you can find a job ad at a gym that looks like the sort of thing you would be interested in in the future, perhaps a HC type role, then call them and ask if they are looking for candidates with particular qualifications and if so, what qualifications and institutions do they prefer? Do they feel differently about online qualifications (ask if they check or differentiate)? Ask them for advice.

Good luck.

Unless you need the credential for something specific and there's no workaround, do not waste your money on for-profit higher education.

If you have the funds available, a business degree will help if you want to eventually own or fully run a gym. Psychology could also be useful when dealing with children and interesting parents.

If you have the funds available, a business degree will help if you want to eventually own or fully run a gym. Psychology could also be useful when dealing with children and interesting parents.
But practical experience can be just as useful, particularly if you have a helpful mentor. If you don't, then the degree will be helpful.
If you do, or have other ways of accessing such knowledge, then as @profmom says, don't waste your money, hence needing to work out why you *think* that you need the qualification. Perhaps you just need the knowledge.
If you decided you *need* the qualification then the lovely @raenndrops has provided you with a link.

When you're set up and need sparkly team leotards, there are a bunch of us that will chime in with glitter and sparkles too :)

Thank y'all very much for the advise and support.
I have ten years to use my GI Bill and it's free schooling, so I just want to pick the best degree that could help me as a owner operator or just open my mind to further learning.
I'll look up the link very interested in that.
Thank you.

I am out of the Marines coaching again and need to use my GI Bill to earn a degree (prefer online or as much ad possible). I have looked for several sports science and or sports management degrees but I haven't seen any I trust.
Can someone guide me to either a great online school or a common degree that will give me more great credit as a coach and a future gym owner?

I will live in Irving Texas in May...

Thank you

What about a degree in kinesiology? A business degree makes a lot of sense too.

It's not online, but my husband says to check out Texas Woman's University kinesiology programs.

I'd get a business degree from a traditional school. You can do the online program through a traditional school.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back