overweight gymnast - advice please??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

Charlie

i posted this in the coach forum as well but seeing as how you ladies are adult gymnasts i figured ya'll might have some good input on the situation.

sorry for the length

i recently had one of my former gymnasts (now 23 years old) come to me wanting to train again. she had a rough end to her career when she was 20 and has some unfinished business with the sport. i coached her to level 10, and was well on her way to elite. i have agreed to work with her again and i have to admit im pretty excited myself. she's one of those kids that coaches love to work with. shes a very hard worker and hangs on my every word at the gym. shes admittedly not a talented gymnast, but the work ethic sets her well above all the other girls. anyway my dilemma is that she has gained an ungodly amount of weight. she had been on medication that was not properly monitored by a doctor that made her very prone to weight gain, and her being embarrassed never went back the doctor to address the weight issues. she is now off the medicine but has a lot of weight to lose. last time she trained she was 125lbs of muscle, now shes about 210lbs. she is able do do basics. walkovers, her leaps/jumps look ok although a bit low, handsprings, solid handstands, ect... she has expressed a lot of concern about not being able to get the weight high enough to flip. and bars just aint happening. now i can spot her just fine, thats not an issue at all but she wants to be able to do skills on her own obviously. for the record, we laugh a lot about it and she's pretty open about it and not ashamed.

my question is, should i just have her doing cardio/endurance until she gets to a reasonable weight? say 160ish. or should i keep her in the gym working basic skills and a lot of drills? i have some concerns about her picking up bad habits to compensate for the weight, suck as kipping to her stomach on bars instead of keep strait arms and things of that nature. on the other hand gym has some great physical benefits. but if shes going to get bored and frustrated, i dont know. i told her i would think about it and decide what to do over the weekend. 210 lbs is a lot of weight to try and throw around a gym. but whatever i decide, she will be weight training 1 hour per day and running 1.5 miles ON TOP of the 2 hours i have with her at night/five nights per week. so what do you guys think?

Ha no way we had a very similar situation with a girl at our gym with a former level 9. But the problem was more with the girls joints and such hurting. I mean she could hold a good handstand but then complained her wrists were killing her, and I remember her knees hurting a lot too. She did eventually shed the weight by the way with just gymnastics as her exercise. I'd say as long as it isn't hurting her stick to the skills/drills. Be sure there is a lot of open communication to make sure she's not in pain.

Closing this thread as it treads in the diet, weight and medical advice areas. Gymnast clearly needs to see a doctor.

Thanks for sticking to the rules.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back