WAG P&Gs 2017!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DDs new beam routine mount is a shoot through into a wolf turn...I am so not happy about it!! She hasn't yet been able to successfully complete the wolf turn without falling, so I'm secretly hoping that it will get changed before the season begins. Just so happy she doesn't have one in her floor routine!!
Maybe she can just "fall" all the time so she doesn't have to do it ;)

Why is the Wolf Turn suddenly in everyone's routine these past couple years (or multiple times in a routine - Aaack!)?

Is it over-valued point-wise compared to other kinds of turns? What other skills does it compare to (point value wise)?

I don't care if it is executed "well" - it is a ridiculous-looking move. So random and out of place in otherwise lovely routines.

Like, "Hey, I'm dancing, jumping, beautiful music and tumbling.. la le la.. hey hold on - wanna see my impression of a dying helicopter? Wheee! I'm a dying helicopter missing a blade - see me awkwardly rotate all unstable-like until I finally come to a jerky stop - tada! Oh, you want to see it again?? Sure! Here's another one! Blurb blurb blup putt phft duh. Tada! Ok, back to my beautiful dance routine. Just had to get that out of my system."

Seriously that's what I think every time.
Omg I'm dying. :D:p:D Hahahahahahahaha

Like, "Hey, I'm dancing, jumping, beautiful music and tumbling.. la le la.. hey hold on - wanna see my impression of a dying helicopter? Wheee! I'm a dying helicopter missing a blade - see me awkwardly rotate all unstable-like until I finally come to a jerky stop - tada! Oh, you want to see it again?? Sure! Here's another one! Blurb blurb blup putt phft duh. Tada! Ok, back to my beautiful dance routine. Just had to get that out of my system."

Seriously that's what I think every time.

Hahahaha!!!! You win Chalkbucket today!

Skip to 4:34- they're in rhythmic too (but called Cossack turns), but they are usually performed much more smoothly than in artistic.

Skip to 4:34- they're in rhythmic too (but called Cossack turns), but they are usually performed much more smoothly than in artistic.

In these examples the turn seems to be integrated well into the routine, fluidly - both the entry and exit connects to the routine and the prop movement complements the turns. I have yet to see that happen in an artistic routine. They seem to most often just be stuck in there with a pause to 'set' before and pause to 'tada' with the arms/wrists upon turn completion before proceeding to the next move. (I'm sure my terminology is off, but hope the point is clear about not integrating fluidly into the routine.)

How do the coaches of texas dreams have time to train all those multiple elites they have? I assume they all need a lot of individual attention at practice etc. Also were those six gymnasts at the nationals the only ones or do they have even more back at the gym?

In these examples the turn seems to be integrated well into the routine, fluidly - both the entry and exit connects to the routine and the prop movement complements the turns. I have yet to see that happen in an artistic routine. They seem to most often just be stuck in there with a pause to 'set' before and pause to 'tada' with the arms/wrists upon turn completion before proceeding to the next move. (I'm sure my terminology is off, but hope the point is clear about not integrating fluidly into the routine.)
I agree, the rhythmic girls work to incorporate it into the routine- working into/out of it smoothly. I hate when the girls just roll out of them. They show absolutely no control and are essentially falling, not just falling out of the turn but falling on the floor and rolling into the rest of their choreography. If you "fall" out of an upright turn (and by fall I mean simply not show control as you exit the turn) you either get major deductions or can even have the skill downgraded- this is true of 1/2 turns at the compulsory levels up to 4/1 turns in elite. So why do wolf turns get a pass? Even my little Xcel Bronze kids get lectured about not falling out of their turns because it's that important. I imagine there is some deducting happening for those wolf turn mishaps, but not nearly enough to discourage it judging by the amount of wolf turn roll outs we saw.

I can't believe I'm still thinking about this move! But I think watching that film that a cossack turn is slightly different. The main part of the spin has the straight leg pointing forward - so both knees are together (like in a cossack dance!). But in the lovely WAG wolf turn, the extended leg is out to the side of the body.

I can't believe I'm still thinking about this move! But I think watching that film that a cossack turn is slightly different. The main part of the spin has the straight leg pointing forward - so both knees are together (like in a cossack dance!). But in the lovely WAG wolf turn, the extended leg is out to the side of the body.

My DD says they were taught Cossacks in different positions and that there are like 6 ways to do them, and that one of the ways is basically a wolf turn. She's not a very high level in rhythmic, so take that with a grain of salt.

To be fair this happens a lot with leg up turns too. But yeah....if the WAG girls could do them like the rhythmic girls, I'm sure people wouldn't despise them so much :p I wonder if this will come with more training, didn't wolf turns only become more common since the last quad?

I don't understand wolf turns at all. A wolf jump has both legs in front of the body, not out to the side. Girls fall out of them all the time, they look so out of control. One of the worst things for me is the very beginning, the body starts turning and leaves the leg behind, causing an ugly bend in the leg.

I don't understand wolf turns at all. A wolf jump has both legs in front of the body, not out to the side. Girls fall out of them all the time, they look so out of control. One of the worst things for me is the very beginning, the body starts turning and leaves the leg behind, causing an ugly bend in the leg.
What I really want to know is, who is the individual responsible for this atrocity? My dd just got hers on the low beam and she was proud. She's got all the elements, the set up, the ugly bent back leg and a perfect "tada" at the end!

What I really want to know is, who is the individual responsible for this atrocity? My dd just got hers on the low beam and she was proud. She's got all the elements, the set up, the ugly bent back leg and a perfect "tada" at the end!
Whoever this "wolf" person is I would assume....we need to write them a letter

I agree, the rhythmic girls work to incorporate it into the routine- working into/out of it smoothly. I hate when the girls just roll out of them. They show absolutely no control and are essentially falling, not just falling out of the turn but falling on the floor and rolling into the rest of their choreography. If you "fall" out of an upright turn (and by fall I mean simply not show control as you exit the turn) you either get major deductions or can even have the skill downgraded- this is true of 1/2 turns at the compulsory levels up to 4/1 turns in elite. So why do wolf turns get a pass? Even my little Xcel Bronze kids get lectured about not falling out of their turns because it's that important. I imagine there is some deducting happening for those wolf turn mishaps, but not nearly enough to discourage it judging by the amount of wolf turn roll outs we saw.
at 1:23 in this there's a smooth work out, and 2:45. They CAN be beautiful! lol

I saw a wolf turn or two at P&Gs that was nice. Can't remember who, though. I also saw quite a few on floor with that roll-out finish which really just seems like it should count as a fall - I felt that way about Victoria Moors's creative exit from that upright turn ( at :40). Sometimes it's controlled, sometimes it's not, but the point of the fancy exit is to cover up when it's not.

It's a harder to turn smoothly on an artistic gym floor than a rhythmic floor, so I doubt we'll ever see many smooth turns in WAG (obviously the WAG girls spend less time on turn technique, too). It's a little easier on beam in my opinion. In fact, I think the wolf turn can be incorporated more easily into choreo on beam, so I'm more inclined to like them on beam, especially after the change where you can't do them in 0.5 increments anymore. Those "connected" wolf turns are stupid, though.

Terin Humphrey brought them back in 2002 , then Lauren Mitchell added another 1/2 turn to what Terin had done, plus on floor and then Australia really started exploiting the skill after seeing Lauren's success. They actually removed all the nice press work in the latest set of IL compulsory routines and replaced them with ugly wolf pivot progressions, of course everyone is abusing the skill now.

Terin actually did a few skills that were not so common at the time or even now.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back