Parents Parent "Team Spirit"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NO COW BELLS!! I remember a meet where there was a team parent group that I guess you could say were giving team spirit. Yelling at the top of their lungs cheering for every gymnast on their team very loudly. You think we were outside on a foot ball field and they were on the other side of the stadium and couldn't be heard. Eventually a meet official finally came over to them to tell them to quiet down. It was just way too distracting for the other gymnasts - sort of like flash photography. It became a distraction that was a safety issue. I don't think anyone one wants their cheering to be the cause of a gymnast injury due to distraction.

Googling vuvuzela...
vuvuzela.jpg

This was the noisemaker that FIFA almost banned because of the noise they created in South Africa at the World Cup.

ROFL I can just see you guys in the stands with those!! They were almost banned outside...can you imagine inside?

We have a great group of parents! I have to say, all of us are pretty excited to watch the boys, cheer for each other, and support each other. We are a relatively small team, so maybe that helps. We even plan our travel together so that the parents get some "adult time" while away ;) That makes traveling much more fun!

My ds' football team were the Texans. Most of the mom's had obnoxiously loud cow bells we rang after a good play. Bet those would bring out some team spirit at a meet! ;-)
My ds plays football. I am an obnoxious mom with a cowbell. No body sits next me and a group of parents. Of course, gym is different. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to ring my cowbell while be dd is on the balance beam. Lol

I bet if I search hard enough I can find a Groupon for Fabio......my house could use a good cleaning!!

We have a pretty happy gym culture in my dd's level-it's mostly moms who come to the meets with the exception of my family and 2 others. That always surprises me-but our son is a teen and would much prefer being left home for the day to play on the computer than come to a meet, not everyone can leave their other kids for the day. We do have Team parent shirts from a few years ago that some parents wear, I always try to wear the gym colors and last year, a bunch of us got carried away and knit a ton of those ruffle scarves in the gym's colors! I am also friendly with moms from levels above and below my dd, but don't know the dynamics of their groups. We all cheer for each other's kids-and mostly sit near each other. As the girls have been together longer, some of the moms have gotten closer-FB sometimes makes me feel left out when other people get together (last year, right before States, a mom had some of the girls and their moms over and posted pics-we weren't invited and I felt crummy about it, it felt like being in Jr. High all over again). However, I can't let that get me down-I see these moms 5 days a week and I honestly want to see all the girls on the team do well, they all work so hard.

I am one of the moms who comes to meets alone. :( Not exactly by choice. But we have five other kids, and it's just unrealistic to expect them to sit at a meet for hours on end when their sister is only competing for a few minutes of that. We also can't afford to have a sitter for hours on end so often, and five kids is kind of a lot for a sitter anyway! My husband has never been to a live meet, but I do video tape them and he enjoys watching them. But if only one of us can go to meets, he doesn't really have a huge interest in the sport and watching all of the other girls like I do and it has kind of become my daughter and I's "thing" to do together.

I didn't sit at practice and watch and none of the other older optional parents did either (typically the girls didn't WANT their parents there, plus it's 4.5 hrs long!), but we always sat together at meets--far more fun cheering the girls on as a group than alone (assuming none of the other parents are CGMs or CGDs!). The 9s/10s moms and dads get together sometimes for an fun evening, etc.

I think your gym just never had that culture, so the higher level families aren't used to doing that. Start with your group and build from there.

We go to a gym that is heavy on team spirit. We all wear shirts with the gym name on it to meets, moms and dads. No cow bells :p, but every single kid who competes, from level 1-10, is cheered by our parents. I really like the atmosphere at the gym. Everyone makes a effort to be friendly, whether they watch the whole practice, or just run in to grab their kid. We have a lot of gym transfers come to our gym, and the friendliness of the parents and coaches are one of the factors. We carpool kids, offer to bring kids to meets, share hotel rooms, etc. Our attitude is that gym is a "home away from home", especially when you're a parent like me, who's there every day except Sunday. Parents typically just hang out and talk about whatever, very little talk is focused on gymnastics. I think that's why we don't have a lot of CGMs! I have been at this gym since 2005, so I'm not a newbie there, and the coaching plus friendliness makes me proud to wear the gym name:)
By the way, I don't need Fabio, I need his brother, Roberto, the chauffeur;)!

Relatively small teams here (about 14 competing boys all levels and 35 girls with only 11 optionals on DD team) but good spirit. Parents generally sit together at meets and keep track of each others kids scores, take pictures (no flash) of all the kids, whole group of parents (at each level) "knows" each kid's challenges and delights in successes....etc. I'd send my DD home with any of the optional parents and lots of the compulsory ones, but I know fewer of the new families as DD moves up...with DS team I know almost none of the level 4 and pre-team families...

We are in a smallish town (about 150K people within an hours drive) with 4 gym teams within a 40 minute radius....my kids are on 2 different ones because of logistics (only one sign. boys program, and DD bonded to her present gym) - there has not always been great sportsmanship (on kids and PARENT side) between the 4 gyms here - Therefore support without excessive rah-rah is key here!

It has changed as the kids move up levels - DD has girls she started in Hot Shots with at her level, at a level above her and at several levels below.....so those friendships as not always as strong because of different work out and comp schedules...We also had a coach (now at a different gym) who discouraged the girls from attending other sessions (for some good reasons...) and a previous set of parents who left the gym, many of whom were unhappy/actually wouldn't talk to other team parents....last year DD and I went to some big meets without her brothers and were able to go to some friends sessions just to cheer them on...which was fun for both of us and kept the Team aspect really intact. I can't really do that when the family is in tow.

I do think that how parents interact and support the other kids is key to this being a good learning experience for the kids...and I like the family spirit that both teams have....but we aren't headed for the Olympics over here and I'm sure that different regions have a different vibe...I did grow up in the Bay Area...but I like our friendly little state where you even get to know the other teams parents at State as your kids move up....

For the most part, our team has great team spirit... at least within levels. For Nationals, those who are competing will get a team shirt. The girls and adults can get whatever they want on the back. We have some that say just a last name (handy for those with more than one on the team), others will have a nickname (for the girl) and the family gets [the nickname]'s [relation]. My gymmies got Mango and Hashbrown on their shirts. I chose to get nothing on the back of mine because I didn't know where to go from there :)
I had my own team shirts made the last couple years that I wear to the regular meets and I order a championship tee if it comes in a 6X (which it has the last 2 seasons for only an additional $5). Of course, after the first one, I knew enough to take scissors with me so I could comfortably wear the shirt the 2nd day.
I have only missed maybe 6 practices total since we started this crazy ride... the most recent was last month... had to have my brother take Older Gymmie because the kids we babysit weren't picked up, and she was already going to be over a 1/2 hour late for a practice that is 2-1/2 hours (but she leaves a 1/2 hour early to get to the grandparents house on time). I stay because it is not worth the time and gas to drive back home (25 minutes)... and I don't drive... and the coach needs me there. My brother finds stuff to do near the gym (library, YMCA, park, shopping) and picks us up when we are done.
I know the names of all 18 L3s, 15 L4s, 4 L6s, both L7s, 8 XL Golds and both XL Platinums. I also know the names of most of the girls on the new HS team. If I think about it, I know the names of at least one parent in each family... or I recognize the face and can put it with the gymnast.

the one with the team activities and stuff had all of these events coordinated from the coaches

Parents see gymnastics as an individual sport. It is up to the program/coaches to change the culture. The parents are a big part of the culture...but it must be spearheaded by the program/coaches. We are in the process of changing our culture now. It is going well...but it is a big challenge.

Now that parents are getting a taste of this new culture...they are liking it...it's gaining momentum...we may never be able to turn back.

Our team is quite the mix. Big group, lots of different practice groups so little interaction as a team as a whole. Meets span days and several sessions and I've never seen a parent/gymmie stay for a session that wasn't their own. Little happening (at least that we are invited to?!) outside the gym. We all stay where we want at travel meets. There is a core group of 4 or so moms that are very close and friendly but not at all welcoming. My gymmie is my last child of many so I don't really have any rah rah left. I drop and go, almost never watch even the end of practice. I've even missed a meet intentionally to spent some quality time with an oft-neglected sibling. Pretty sure that makes me the antithesis of a gym mom. But then I am hoping to see all of my kids into a therapy-free adulthood. ;) I provide the opportunity both physically and financially but it needs to be her thing, not mine. I tell her how proud I am and celebrate her accomplishments and I think that's plenty.

If I sounded condescending I didn't mean to. In fact I'm quite jealous that you can attend everything for all of your kids. I wish I could. Although we each cover something so someone is always there to see them. You know how I feel by wanting to see every accomplishment no matter how big or small myself. I see the pictures when they come home but it's not the same, I want to see it for myself. Don't worry about the other parents just work with the group you are with. I was in that same boat before, but I'm there for my kid and the team not those other parents. Good luck with that and enjoy it.

Thanks :) I had a rotten week with people and the "do you work?" thing and you caught the brunt of it.

I'm an old dog who has been beaten down by the gym world over the years. My dd is at a new gym & it's her Senior yr, she's done after this & I would be perfectly happy with just be a loner. Don't get me wrong, I will talk to people & do my part (work home meets, contribute where expected), but I'm not gung-ho team parent bonding. My dd can drive herself to gym, I pay everything online, I really don't have a reason to be in the gym anymore.

There was a time when I was very involved. When we left the only gym that dd had ever known, I realized that my very good mom friends from gym, really weren't my friends. I barely talk to any of them now. It's kind of sad, but it is what it is.

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/fabio-and-ana-home-cleaning-services-austin

Fabio is in Texas it seems.

We have had vuvuzelas at meets, it was the only time I actually thought of telling somebody to shut up. Whole teams of kids and parents. I bet @catou has heard them at the Challenge in Quebec.

We had a good group of parents at our gym, nothing formal or organized, but they were supportive and kind to each other and the gymmies.

Which works out since we are in Texas :)

I'm an old dog who has been beaten down by the gym world over the years. My dd is at a new gym & it's her Senior yr, she's done after this & I would be perfectly happy with just be a loner. Don't get me wrong, I will talk to people & do my part (work home meets, contribute where expected), but I'm not gung-ho team parent bonding. My dd can drive herself to gym, I pay everything online, I really don't have a reason to be in the gym anymore.

There was a time when I was very involved. When we left the only gym that dd had ever known, I realized that my very good mom friends from gym, really weren't my friends. I barely talk to any of them now. It's kind of sad, but it is what it is.

My daughter is only 8 so it seems a bit early for me to be checking out. I expect that as she gets older I will be at the gym less but for now I am there and want to make the best of it. I consider anyone I know from the gym to be a seasonal friend, but I might as well enjoy the season while it is here :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back