WAG Parents not understanding or just don't want to.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

berrisweetness

Coach
Proud Parent
I was at a meet this weekend and was talking with some parents. Their kids are competing L3. I felt a little uncomfortable with a couple of the parents and thought they were kinda cold when we first came. The kids competed level 3 this year and they were upset because they didn't move to L4. Well the kids did old level 3 last year and new 3 this year. They don't feel that was right. So either their do understand and wanted to skip a level or they still don't get it because the two level are so similar. I at first thought they did old level 4 not the case. One parent was really upset because I told her a couple of more kids were coming to the gym next season. We went out to lunch after the meet and I felt really uncomfortable.

A few of the parent were welcoming and told me that they always go out after am meet and we are welcome to join them. I'm not sure if I want to now I don't want to make my dd uncomfortable, she doesn't understand any of this, she just likes to be around the girls.
Their girls didn't get cheated and they did get moved to next level some of the girls are still confused about the number changes and think it's the same but it's not. I thought I would only see a little drama with my change. I'm not leaving because I love the program. Sigh I'm just going back to being a loner. As long as dd is happy I'm happy. Just vent but could use some input.

With some of the parents, I try to keep the conversation on topics other than gymnastics. I just can't take listening to them about what their child needs, isn't getting, what the coaches should be doing, how the judges were wrong, etc. I just bring up other topics, like movies, or a new local restaurant, or college football, or anything at all.

Even after an email going out about the level changes, one of the dads at our gym said something to me about the girls being "moved down a level". I told him they were still the same level, the number just changed, but everything else was the same. I could tell he still wasn't buying it. I guess some people just can't get past the number thing.

As for the other parents, I have found some really good friends in the other moms at DD's gym. Then there are those I choose to only associate with on a gym level.....not personal. But that is pretty much the case with any group of people......I connect with some more than others.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back