WAG Pirouette in level 7?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Can anyone advise if you can do a pirouette in level 7 bars? My daughter has beautiful bars but is very scared of a giant. She has a pirouette and a pack by herself but wont do a giant. So due to this she will be limited in her level. Hoping she can use her pirouette in her bar routine since she wont be able to do 8 due to no giant.

I don't think the pirouette counts as a circling skill, and she needs to have two circling skills but there are other things she can do instead. DD competed 7 with two free hips and placed at every meet, sometimes in the top 3. There are also sole circles (roundy-rounds as my DD calls them) and maybe other stuff, but those are the two most common that I saw besides giants.

My Lvl 9/10 dd competes bars without giants; she does beautiful free hips. Her dismount, in fact is a double back straight out of a free-hip on the high bar. Can you do a pirouette in lvl 7? Yes, but it won't count as a circling skill like MaryA said.

Thank you so much for the information. She can do a clear hip (not to a hand stand yet) and has a straight leg soul circle. She is also close to her stalder. That is interesting about no giant and doing a higher level. Her coach said she won’t move up until she has the giant. She has everything else for 8. She very close to her tsuk by herself (will have by competition season) and has floor. She also has her back tuck on beam. It is a bit discouraging because other than the giant she would be a great level 8 gymnast. Last year in 7 she was scoring 37's and won beam at almost every completion. Unfortunately she will likely compete 7 though unless she passes this mental block and does her giant.

Enjoy -

My dd has giants, she just chooses not to do them because the free hip connection gets her bonus from the connection to the dismount. At the upper levels it is all about getting the bonus from connecting skills to get to the 10.0 start value.

Isn't clear hip to handstand a C? I know you said she doesn't have it yet, but it is something to work towards.
And what about her learning up rises? DDs coach talked about those for gymmies who wouldn't/ couldn't do giants.

Also, remember, the code is changing, so your DD can add more difficult skills to level 7, so if there is any good year to repeat, it's this year.

Good luck to your DD, mental blocks are so painful! Has she tried Doc Ali? It has really helped my older DD with some mental blocks.

My Lvl 9/10 dd competes bars without giants.....

Has she never learned them, or is she a case of too many value parts with nowhere to put them so the giant must go. Or is it a matter of the giant breaking separating two elements and kaboshing the direct connection...... It really isn't that big of a skill compared to a clear hip to blind change, or a bail, or Shaposh, or Tkatchev, or.......

And what about her learning up rises? DDs coach talked about those for gymmies who wouldn't/ couldn't do giants.

DD was one of 2 L7s in our gym who did an uprise instead of a giant last year (her giant wasn't consistent at that point). However, you still need a circling skill(s). DD did a sole circle - not to HS. I'm not sure how the code reads for L8 and if that would suffice.

Doc Ali is the sports psychologist who works with many athletes. She has a tape (mp3) on overcoming mental blocks as well as a web camp and a webinar I believe. The mp3 really helped my DD - immediately.

You can do a web search for Dr. Alison Arnold. Her mental toughness series is available under products.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back