WAG PLEASE check: my home drills!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

katie

So guys, I really need your advice.
As you might know, I am already 21 and not that lucky to be on a team, so I need to work out hard at home in order to make my dream of being a good Level 7 gymnast in 2 years true.
I am at the gym only 3 times a week for 130min each, because there is no other option, so I do all the strength and basic stuff at home additionally, which takes about 8 hours a week as well!

Here is what my plan looks like:

On gym days:
A 30min warm-up and stretching and the rest of the time I work on current skills with my coach.
At the end of practice I always do some strength stuff like press handstand attempts (almost got it from
sitting!!), high casts etc for like 10 mins or so.
At home I do passive Stretching (shoulders, back and splits)

On gym-free days:

Floor Skills:
10 of each skill on a mat or the grass:
Cartwheels
Cartwheels on small Beam
Round-Offs from Knee
Round-Offs from Stand
Standing Back Tucks
Standing Back Tucks on a line
Standing Back Handsprings
Back Handspring Step-Outs on a line
20 of each on the trampoline:
front tuck - front tuck in a row
standing front tucks
front layouts
back layouts

Ballistic Stretching:
10 of each:
Front, Side and Straddle Kicks with TheraBand
Front, Side and Back Kicks on Stall Bars
Front, Side and Back Kicks standing in relevé
Needle Kicks both sides

Passive Stretching:
Shoulders, Back, Splits

Strength:
Pike Push-Ups, Dips, Pull-Ups
Leg Lifts, V-Ups, Hollow Rocks,...
Squats, Sqaut Jumps, Butt
Reverse Leg Ligts and Sit-Ups, Straddle and Pike Presses, Handstand Hold

This Home-Plan takes about 3 hours, depending on how fast I do it. If I have time, I split it up so I do the skill stuff and stretching in the morning and strength in the evening etc. But all together I would say 3 hours.

Depending on how I feel, I do 1 or 2 days break every now and then.

Do you think this is a good plan or I missed something?
I bet I could habe all my L7 skills without the whole home-stuff...but I want to be a good and well-conditioned L7, I want my body to look good when performing the skills and want the fastest progress possible!

Please, coaches, gymnasts, parents, tell me your opinions about it and if you would change or add anything!

Just a word of warning, you probably should NOT be practicing your skills at home. In the long run, that will actually hurt your gymnastics, because you will learn bad habits that your coaches will have to spend time in the gym correcting. If you really want to do stuff at home, just keep the stretching and maybe do a little extra conditioning! Standing back tucks are definitely not a "basic skill" and neither are front and back layouts!! You won't improve from chucking those skills at home, but doing a little extra conditioning will always help you. :)

(That being said, I admire your desire to practice hard and get better! The conditioning that you listed sounds completely fine!!)

Just a word of warning, you probably should NOT be practicing your skills at home. In the long run, that will actually hurt your gymnastics, because you will learn bad habits that your coaches will have to spend time in the gym correcting. If you really want to do stuff at home, just keep the stretching and maybe do a little extra conditioning! Standing back tucks are definitely not a "basic skill" and neither are front and back layouts!! You won't improve from chucking those skills at home, but doing a little extra conditioning will always help you. :)

(That being said, I admire your desire to practice hard and get better! The conditioning that you listed sounds completely fine!!)

Thank you very much! Just to let you and all other people who will read that know - I have a good standing back tuck and back handspring with the right technique, I learned it at the gym and I won't do anything I am not 100% sure of!

Thank you again!

I am not a coach, so I really have no idea, but my DD does most of those things as part of her training and she is training L7.

Really I just wanted to wish you good luck. I am impressed by your determination! You can do it!

I am not a coach, so I really have no idea, but my DD does most of those things as part of her training and she is training L7.

Really I just wanted to wish you good luck. I am impressed by your determination! You can do it!

Thank you for your nice words. It's hard sometimes without a good gym.
The gym I go to has a 10 weeks break over summer, so I need to work hard at home! I spend about 4 hours a day on gymnastics. But i love it so much :)

May I ask you how many hours your DD as a L7 spends training?

Thank you for your nice words. It's hard sometimes without a good gym.
The gym I go to has a 10 weeks break over summer, so I need to work hard at home! I spend about 4 hours a day on gymnastics. But i love it so much :)

May I ask you how many hours your DD as a L7 spends training?

Wow, 10 weeks is a long break! My DD trains between 11-14 hrs per week. I don't know if you have access to crossfit where you live, but that might be a good way to mix-up your strength training a bit, and keep it interesting. Best of luck to you! Please post on your progress!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back