Parents Practice when too tired?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Monkeygirlsmom

Proud Parent
well last night ended up being way too late since dd had trouble sleeping and now she needed to get up for practice but was just soo exhausted and in tears cause she wanted to go to practice , but was tired!

I told her she needed to stay home wich didnt seem to help the tears

I do think when they are this tired they should not be practicing since I think there is more chance of getting hurt and she has struggled with getting hurt easy!

What is your take on missing practice because of being too tired?

well last night ended up being way too late since dd had trouble sleeping and now she needed to get up for practice but was just soo exhausted and in tears cause she wanted to go to practice , but was tired!

I told her she needed to stay home wich didnt seem to help the tears

I do think when they are this tired they should not be practicing since I think there is more chance of getting hurt and she has struggled with getting hurt easy!

What is your take on missing practice because of being too tired?

When my DD it TOO tired but she wants to go I keep her home. I'm the mom/parent and I want her safe - tears or not. Tears and a tantrum have no effect on my decision for her welfare.

I look at it like this if a 3yo wanted to put a screwdrier into an electric socket would you let them? Of course not because its not safe. But what if they cried and took a fit would it matter would you let them do it now - again of course not because it's not safe. You make the decision for your child because you can see what is best regardless of the tears. You may not be the most popular mom at that point but you do what has to be done.

Too tired means not 100% focus and that is when injuries happen because they aren't focused. Yes she will cry and "hate" you for awhile but it's only gymnastics and she will live and get over it. I also don't allow her to go unless the homework is at a certain point where I know she will be able to finish it up when she comes home. She has missed at least 2 practices this year for a heavy homework night.

When they're that tired its best just to take the day off and let their body recover. Going to practice when really tired usually accomplishes nothing because they can't concentrate and don't put much effort into the routines/practice and as others have said can lead to injuries.

You made the right call--take the time off and let her back at it when she's gotten some sleep.

Excellent advice. I think anytime a kid ins't close to 100%, they should stay home.

I made the mistake of taking Bella to gym one afternoon hungry. On our way there, she complained about being hungry and told me that she skipped her snack so she could play. For some reason, I didn't have any cash/cards on me and there's not really anywhere to stop on the way from our house to the gym (in another town) so she had to go hungry.

DISASTER! On her first beam pass she fell, I kid you not, five times. On releve walks. The falls brought frustration, the frustration brought tears. Then a coach's scolding and then more tears.

I usually keep snacks in her gym bag but on this particular day I had nothing. I felt like a horrible mom for not pulling her and taking her home. Maybe I should have because if she had gotten hurt I would still be kicking myself.

Skipping here and there for a little extra (needed) rest is fine! I have read that overtraining in running actually produces the opposite results - slower times. I believe that athletes, at any age, need to listen to their bodies. Being tired can also mean getting sick, so best to be cautious.

I agree with everyone here. Athletes need to listen to their bodies. I've also found that those "tired" days can sometimes mean an illness is brewing. Sometimes rest can boost the immune system to help fight off the virus. Even if they are just tired from being up to late the night before, they aren't 100% themselves. I've read articles that say that over tired drivers are just as dangerous as drunk drives. Lack of sleep effects reflexes & reactions times. I'd say the occasional day of practice missed to rest is worth it, instead of taking any chances with an tired unfocused practice. Lack of focus can be very dangerous in trying to execute gymnastic skills. She may have been up set to stay home, but I think you did the right thing. "Tomorrow is another day AND another gymnastics practice" that's my motto;). The gym will always be there! Missing one day is no biggy in the long haul!

You did the right thing! If you daughter is a little tired then she should go to training, but when she is very tired and exhausted it is essential that you keep her home.

She will have a much higher chance of being injured and when she is tired the injuries also tend to be far more severe.

If she is badly hurt she won't just be missing gymnastics for the day but may be out for as much as a year (and sometimes permanently). Better to deal with tears today than to deal with that.

I think you probably did the right thing. When my daughter gets really tired and won't take a break, she gets rundown and sick. I would rather hold her up one practice to rest instead of missing a whole week due to illness.

What about when mommy is tired and doesn't want to take DD to practice?:D

That is always since I have a 2 yr old that still wakes too many times :p:

I feel your pain. I have a 1 year old who has been sick and has been crying at night. I've been the one wanting to skip gym. It's a good thing she's more dedicated than me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back