Press Handstand Question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know, I know - there are a bunchhh of press handstand questions and threads and I think I've read just about all of the ones I've come across, but none of them really .. seem to answer my questions.

I can do a press from stand (straddle) against the wall, but I can't do it from a sitting or without a wall. Whenever I try to do one from stand without a wall, I try to get my hips over my head and when I'm leaning forward, I feel like I'm going to fall on my face. I can do a press headstand and I can feel the hip rolling action, but whenever I'm doing it from a stand .. It seems like I can't roll my hips without lifting my feet.

During practice we do some straddle rolls to straddle support and then try to press up from there or continue rolling. I get to the straddle support and when I get my feet around, I end up sort of in a planche which makes me collapse on my stomach!

I have tried some of the drills I've seen on here such at GT's half press roll thing and I can't press a bit from stand so I just end up doing a straddle forward roll. :confused:

I'd reallyreally like to be able to do a press handstand (even if it's just from a stand) and I'd reallyreally appreciate any feedback.

Sounds to me like a shoulder strength issue. Here are a few things that might help:

1) Spotted presses. The spotter should be helping as little as possible.

2) Negative presses; that is, kick to handstand and press down to straddle stand or straddle support as slowly as you can

3) Spotted straight-straights. This is one of my favorites, though the spotter will need to be pretty strong. Start from a handstand, and with a spot, press part way down towards a planche, then back up.

I'm far from an expert on presses; I know a lot of coaches who seem to be able to train them better than I can. Nevertheless, I'll see if I can compile a video at some point of all the drills and exercises I DO know for them.

I know, I know - there are a bunchhh of press handstand questions and threads and I think I've read just about all of the ones I've come across, but none of them really .. seem to answer my questions.

I can do a press from stand (straddle) against the wall, but I can't do it from a sitting or without a wall. Whenever I try to do one from stand without a wall, I try to get my hips over my head and when I'm leaning forward, I feel like I'm going to fall on my face. I can do a press headstand and I can feel the hip rolling action, but whenever I'm doing it from a stand .. It seems like I can't roll my hips without lifting my feet.

During practice we do some straddle rolls to straddle support and then try to press up from there or continue rolling. I get to the straddle support and when I get my feet around, I end up sort of in a planche which makes me collapse on my stomach!

I'd reallyreally like to be able to do a press handstand (even if it's just from a stand) and I'd reallyreally appreciate any feedback.

now all of you good children/gymnasts at this site read the following:

ROPE CLIMB, ROPE CLIMB, AND ROPE CLIMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PIKED, STRADDLED, TUCKED, AND WITHOUT THE USE OF YOUR LEGS!!!!!:cool:

The press drills we use include (in no particular order):

-Press headstands (straddle & pike)
-Press handstands off a block (straddle & pike, absolutely no cheating, to a roll or a pancake then to a handstand)
-Press handstands off a folded mat, to upside down pancake & to handstand
-Press handstand UP a panel mat, to upside down pancake & to handstand (generally spotted)
-Press handstand against wall, with emphasis on the inverted pancake position on the way up & down.
-Seated presses off a folded mat
-Reverse presses
-Back extension roll to reverse press
-Press on paralettes (tuck, straddle, pike)
-Stalder rolls to straddle L support
-Stalder rolls to upside down pancake
-Stalder rolls all the way up
-Press handstands from seal stretch (straddle & pike)
-Straddle L hold on beam, paralettes, everywhere

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back