Press Handstands On High Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My 4 year old daughter has recently moved to high beam to do her press handstands. She can do them from standing position on the low beam. When the coach moved her to high beam last week, my daughter's prefence was to start them from a seated position like she does on the floor. The coach had her do them like she does on the low beam instead. My daughter is just more comfortable doing them from a seated position. What is the advantage if any of starting them from a standing position and putting your hands down onto the beam and tipping up? I am guessing it is to get used to the balance with the height? I see older girls do them and they start from a sort of frog position and then balance their feet out in front of them. We are not quite there yet but I know that is the goal.

Not sure why that would be. Starting from standing does encourage straighter legs and forces a better chest shape (to start anyway). However if I was wanting to improve those things I wouldn't be doing it on a high beam! I would correct them first on the floor. So I doubt that is the reason. I should ask!

I'm just replying to say how amazing it is to me that 4-year-olds can do press handstands. Starmaker's dd did them at that age, too, I think.

I think it's really awesome that your daughter is so talented in the sport--I certainly hope she continues doing it!! :)

Her coach got her to do a couple in the froggie position yesterday. I think she figured out that my dd was more comfortale doing them that way. It's hard when you are 4 and you have it figured out one way and have to try to backtrack and do half of one.

Mommyof2- Her preteam class really stresses press handstands so they practice them twice a week. She is just really strong and light. She is also a head shorter already than her bestfriend at school and since I am rather height challenged I think she will be on the smaller end. I recently had to buy her running shoes and it was a challenge to find them in a toddler size. Saucony makes them.
She was having trouble with running steps into front tumbling yesterday and I asked her coach if it made her crazy. The coach looked at me and said that no she is 4 and working on level 6 tumbling and thought that that was amazing in itself. She also worked on glide kips yesterday. She loves loves loves tumbling and especially bars.
There is another girl in her class that is five almost 6 that is awesome. My dd copies her and tries to do everything she is doing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back