press to handstand

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I cant do a press to handstand and it is really frutrating cause it is a skill I need!!!! Does anyone know any conditioning I can do to make me stronger????
Anything would help :)

I so wish i could help, but i am frustrated with the exact same problem!!!! It tends to help me personally when i do it on beam, because it's much easier to pull up into the handstand. However, I can only get partway. :( please help me as well. Good luck to you!

I have my guys do shoulder presses off panel mat or off a four inch until they are strong enough to do it on the floor. Start with feet straddled on the elevated surface and hands as close to the mat as possible. Start pressing by dragging toes toward the edge of the mat. So you will be piking hips and opening shoulders. Make sure you keep your straddle. Once you feet are close to the edge of the mat your shoulders should be almost all the way open. Try to push through the floor this should lift feet off the ground. Also make sure your arms are covering your ears.

The goal of this shoulder press is to press using the shoulders and not worry about the legs going above the head. Lifting the legs too early is the main problem that many gymnasts have. You should be completely open shouldered with the deepest pike possible with a straddle. It is basically a straddled handstand with toes down.

If you can do this than the rest is easy. Slowly lift feet in circular motion to handstand.

The key is opening the shoulders until the butt is above the head.
I explain the press to my guys as open shoulders completely then open hips then bring feet together.
Hope this gets you guys somewhere

Try some in the water, I got the idea from another thread. Go as deep as you need to be and do some, once they are easy go shallower and do some more, until they are easy and so one. This way you get the feel for it with help and you are working on your strengh. Also try some in the water on a pool noodle, this might help with the pressing down feeling, or presses on a beam, but if you do this go deep, so that is you fall you aren't hitting rocks, or the pool bottom.
http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/skills-drills-forum/29875-presses-water.html

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back