WAG Probably A Ridiculous Question....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Nope. The run is not judged at all past L3 - and at L3, I'm pretty sure that the deductions on the run are based on whether it has enough speed and acceleration.

As far as I know, the run is only judged in level 3 and below. The things they are looking for is acceleration through the run, not slowing down before you punch the board and not leaning forward as you punch the board.

Everything I know about running and vault is aggressive aggressive aggressive and that is pretty hard to do with pointed toes I would imagine. :D

Sorry I'm still trying to visualize getting speed up with pointed toes. Who runs with toes pointed? :confused:o_O

so i had another mom at the gym tell me that from the time the judge waves at the girl they don't move their eyes from the vault. this is what a judge told her when she was sitting with the doing the scoring at one of the meets we host (it may have been 6/7 states last year). so what i got from that is that they aren't even watching them run. this is second hand - the judge didn't say that to me directly. but i found it interesting.

The run is definitely judged in level 3 dd lost .5 at a meet for running on her tippy toes. Not sure if they were pointed though :)

DD lost points in L3 for slowing down when she got to the vault. I wasn't aware that it was just an L3 thing!

Reactions: sce
so i had another mom at the gym tell me that from the time the judge waves at the girl they don't move their eyes from the vault. this is what a judge told her when she was sitting with the doing the scoring at one of the meets we host (it may have been 6/7 states last year). so what i got from that is that they aren't even watching them run. this is second hand - the judge didn't say that to me directly. but i found it interesting.

Yikes I hope that mom misunderstood! After level 3 the run is not technically judged but judges definitely observe the run and if it's not fast and accelerating the gymnast will incur a dynamics deduction. Also, the first flight (from board contact to table contact) IS judged so I couldn't imagine only looking at the table when I judge vault.

To the OP...no pointed toes aren't necessary in the run. Some gyms teach a deer run, which does have pretty feet, but it's not necessary.

Not really. At that point if they are not accelerating it will show in their vault. There's no run deductions after compulsories. And none in AAU either.
Maybe it's the region. My child just had her mock meet for lvl 7 and she still got feedback for her run and the judge said there were things to work on....?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back