Coaches Proper landing positions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
When I land most skills, I land with an arched back, locked knees and shoulders streched back, like a salute. I never land properly and landing this way is quite painful. I mostly land this way doing CW-BT off beam, any salto (particularly front handspring front pike), FHS vault & flyaways.

How do I prevent this?

Try putting yourself into the correct landing position with all of the "key" muscles tensed to hold the position, and of course keep your heels elevated off the floor as you do this. Have a coach or a team mate grip you about the shoulders with one arm and attempt to push your center/core out of the landing "alignment". Focus on the sensations of those muscles used to maintain alignment as you enter the landing phase of the skill.

See if that works.

My coach has us do a lot of jumps off blocks of varying heights and land in the correct landing position (jump forwards, sideways and backwards). Once we can do one height and stick a certain number, we go to the next tallest one. The highest was probably shoulder height. You really have to focus on correct landing positions off the high blocks so you don't hurt yourself, hopefully it will help you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back