WAG Question about levels, just for fun.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The hardest is the first year of level 10 - lol! But at the time, all the other levels seemed hard too. I remember thinking 7, 8 and 9 would be the death of me, but they were nothing compared to 10. And now as a multiple year 10, they really don't learn too many skills... but the fear of a season ending injury looms heavy on the heart and mind. And then add in a little recruiting pressure and it makes those days of "will she get get the kip, giant, yurchenko, series, etc..." seem like a walk in the park. Enjoy it parents and gymnasts because it gets real, real fast!

Agree. Although DD would probably say her 1st year of L8 was the hardest, but probably because she wasn't totally ready for that level. I'm hoping 2nd year L10 is better. As a parent, the injury fear is so much greater and the injuries you fear are more severe. There are days I would give anything for my biggest worry at a meet to be "will she stick her beam back walkover or connect her series?"

Mine just finished her level 6 season. She started in old level 3 and her toughest season was new L4. It was quite a jump in skills from
Level 3. It wasn't until the end of season that she totally felt confident on bars. She went on to have a great season at level 5 and then 6 right after States.

Hardest level to coach: 4 year old pre-school classes...physically and mentally exhausting. 45 minutes teaching gymnastics to 4 year olds is more exhausting to me than spotting new optionals on bars for 3 hours.
Hahahaha, I can relate to that! I haven't taught a preschool class in a while, but man, it's always so hard. Constant running around.

L9 has been far the most challenging, but I am certain L10 would give it a run for the money. Every level had its challenges at the time, but L8 definitely felt like a huge step up and L9 significantly more so.

I loved watching the video of Aly Raisman's parents squirming in the stands doing the last Olympics. Felt so true for every level as you subconciously sway along with each skill and take a deep breath as another event is safely completed. That never changes - just more sways and deeper breaths.
;)

DD is currently L7, and so far it has been the hardest for her. 6 inch growth spurt and puberty I think has more to do with it than anything for her.

DD is currently L7, and so far it has been the hardest for her. 6 inch growth spurt and puberty I think has more to do with it than anything for her.

2nd year level 8 has been the hardest for my girl so far, but she grew over 5" since her last birthday, so I think that has a lot to do with it. I'm sure my tune will change once we get to her first year of 10, but so far, this is the worst.

Level 9 bars is and always will be the hardest. The high low release is the scariest thing the kids ever have to learn, period.

I'll pretend I didn't read this. DD has been doing drills for her high/low release most of this season, and will start it spotted as soon as regionals is over. Good thing I won't be there to see it!

I would have to say old 8 (pre allowing any C skills at 8) going to 9 was harder than from 7-to-8 or 9-to-10.

When you're at a gym that doesn't up train during season I found that the hardest. At old 8 there was no doubles dismounts off bars allowed, no 1.5 on floor allowed, etc......so when at a gym that doesn't up train to go from say a full on floor to getting a 1.5 and connecting it to a front, or the hardest thing on bars you do as an 8 is a pirouette and now you need both the high-low release and a double back dismount......I guess I just think she had a lot more skills to "get" during that summer than any other summer.

The hardest is the first year of level 10 - lol! But at the time, all the other levels seemed hard too. I remember thinking 7, 8 and 9 would be the death of me, but they were nothing compared to 10. And now as a multiple year 10, they really don't learn too many skills... but the fear of a season ending injury looms heavy on the heart and mind. And then add in a little recruiting pressure and it makes those days of "will she get get the kip, giant, yurchenko, series, etc..." seem like a walk in the park. Enjoy it parents and gymnasts because it gets real, real fast!

haha, yes....I only wish for the days of learning the giant lol!
Agree, first year 10 is the hardest. So much worry about injury....so many 'head games'!
I often miss the days of glitter in the hair being exciting and doing my daughter's hair!
Now, the jitters (mostly unspoken) pre meet are bigger than the hair being just right (though she does re-do her hair at times, still!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back