WAG Question about overuse injuries

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wallflower

Proud Parent
I've read a lot here and other places about overuse type injuries, damage to young bodies by doing skills to early etc. I understand obvious things like doing a billion bwos will hurt the back. Tumbling on hard surfaces and injuries that can relate to that. What types of overuse injuries result from too much on bars? Can you do too many cast handstands? Too many free hips? Educate me......

It seems like DD's gym doesn't tumble or vault much and definitely don't up train a lot on those events, but they do lots of conditioning and a lot of bars.

Too much bars:

Rips or hands that are basically useless on bars, especially when increasing bar time in a short period (adding in days or duration all of a sudden)

shoulder and elbow problems, just not as severe as in MAG.

bruising on the hips from cast HS. It's why it's nice to sometimes pad the bar.

Too much bars:

Rips or hands that are basically useless on bars, especially when increasing bar time in a short period (adding in days or duration all of a sudden)

shoulder and elbow problems, just not as severe as in MAG.

bruising on the hips from cast HS. It's why it's nice to sometimes pad the bar.

So for the most part it sounds like mostly temporary things like rips and bruises. I'm talking more long term type things that could have lasting effects on the gymnast. You mention shoulder and elbow issues. That is more what I'm asking about.

I'm just curious. I was talking to a friend whose daughter is a college gymnast and they do bars everyday, but alternate floor and vault because its hard on the body. Is bars is general less hard on the body?

Yes, much. Especially late in the season we work more on bars and rotate through the other events because bars doesn't cause a lot of impact on your body. Sore hands is about the only bad thing we get.

My daughters overuse injury was to the growth plates in her wrist. It was nothing that I would say that the coach made her do too much xxxx. She is a perfectionist and just spent too many hours doing handsprings.

The best advice I could give anyone from what I have learned from her situation is make sure your gymnast knows how important it is to listen to her body. Know the difference between real hurt and working hard hurt. If the child isn't old enough, is too stubborn or is the daredevil type, as a parent we must do the listening and watching for them to keep them healthy.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Could someone elaborate on shoulder injuries?

If you're asking about women's gymnastics with good technique, there's little concern as far as shoulders go. The few skills that may contribute to shoulder problems aren't seen until late in a child's optional career, and by then the kids are pretty smart about training wisely.

The men's side is a different story, and although I competed collegiate gymnastics, it was sooooo long ago that any information I can recall from those days is irrelevant.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back